Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick Encore GX expected to come to the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-19, 10:15 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Absolutely....I agree 100%. Who wants to take a chance getting stuck with a vehicle that may have been assembled carelessly, by plant-workers scheduled for layoff, worried about their future and their families, unable to keep their mind on their work? Or, even worse, with a vehicle deliberately sabotaged by disgruntled workers as a way of getting back at the company? I can fully understand their concern.....one reason why I myself did not trade up to one of the few 2019 Lacrosses built.
You can't "agree" with me, because I never said any of that, and I don't make any such assertions. Even with layoffs, I assume that those plant workers are hard working and diligent. It would never have crossed my mind that any of them would even think about doing something so horrible. You are just shooting out more unfounded conspiracy theories.

All I said, and meant, is that many customers don't want a car that is slated to be discontinued. I didn't say anything about the plant where it is made being closed. I know you read CR--they always note when a car is in its last year of production to advise customers who may not want such a vehicle.

Last edited by tex2670; 04-25-19 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-25-19, 02:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
It's not an early warning sign about negative feedback for plant closures. Considering the mega-thread about GM discontinuing so many sedans, it seems pretty logical sales are down. (1) If sedans were selling great, why discontinue them? (2) There are plenty of people that would balk at purchasing a model that's being discontinued.
I think there is going to be some drop-off from the plant closures. How much? Not likely a full 7% but GM has underperformed the entire US market. Yes, stopping sedan sales probably has a larger effect, but there will be people (some) who will not buy an SUV because of the plant closures.

This.^^^

Sorry @mmarshall , but your logic makes no sense. Car companies make more profit on large cars than compact cars; on luxury cars than mainstream cars. If car manufacturers could play Jedi mind tricks on customers by discontinuing cars that sell for less profit, even though they are popular, and forcing customers to buy cars that are more profitable, they would have done it decades ago.

I know you love your Buick sedan, and you don't want to believe that you are in a waning customer class. But it is reality. It's been over 20 years since the "crossover" class became a thing; it's not a fad anymore. It's here to stay, and so far, it hasn't shown any signs of being a maturing market, with sales plateauing. Clearly, GM and Ford (and others) think that there is still hefty upside.

Porsche makes a hefty profit on all of its vehicles--guess what its best selling model is? Hint: an SUV.

Lambo and Rolls are in the SUV game now; Ferrari might be getting in. It is NOT to force customers out of sports cars and sedans to make more profit.

Trust me--people want SUVs. Maybe not in the communities you circulate in, but overall--this is today's reality. No one is asking you to like it--but your constant denial of it just undercuts your arguments on the subject. There is not a big conspiracy out there against the American public.
Lots of this makes sense. GM's transaction prices were the higher ever on record so far in 2019, all due to the shift to SUVS and trucks and less car sales.
Old 04-25-19, 03:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

This.^^^

Sorry @mmarshall , but your logic makes no sense. Car companies make more profit on large cars than compact cars; on luxury cars than mainstream cars. If car manufacturers could play Jedi mind tricks on customers by discontinuing cars that sell for less profit, even though they are popular, and forcing customers to buy cars that are more profitable, they would have done it decades ago.

I know you love your Buick sedan, and you don't want to believe that you are in a waning customer class. But it is reality. It's been over 20 years since the "crossover" class became a thing; it's not a fad anymore. It's here to stay, and so far, it hasn't shown any signs of being a maturing market, with sales plateauing. Clearly, GM and Ford (and others) think that there is still hefty upside.

Porsche makes a hefty profit on all of its vehicles--guess what its best selling model is? Hint: an SUV.

Lambo and Rolls are in the SUV game now; Ferrari might be getting in. It is NOT to force customers out of sports cars and sedans to make more profit.

Trust me--people want SUVs. Maybe not in the communities you circulate in, but overall--this is today's reality. No one is asking you to like it--but your constant denial of it just undercuts your arguments on the subject. There is not a big conspiracy out there against the American public.
I never said that people don't like SUVs. They obviously do, at least in the U.S.....the numbers prove that. The problem is that the sedan market is not as dead as the manufacturers are trying to make us believe. That is one reason (among several others) why GM and Ford are taking the heat they are for the plant-closings. And, of course, there are the more visible political and economic reasons...worker layoffs, unemployment, loss of support-businesses for the plants, etc.... This has everyone concerned from the local town officials up through the UAW/UNIFOR, state governments, national legislatures, and even Heads of State involved. This is not my doing.....or simply because I happen to like big Buick sedans. GM and Ford brought this on by their own decisions, and now they are healing with a real mess.

Anyhow, back to the topic at hand...the extended-wheelbase Encore. Unlike the standard-length version, it apparently did not come from Opel, so we'll have to wait and see how solidly out is built (Opel had a reputation for designing solid vehicles). That, IMO, was another of GM's mistakes (dumping the Vauxhall/Opel division)....but the Chinese-designed/Chinese-built Envision seems solid enough, so we'll see.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-25-19 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-25-19, 03:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I never said that people don't like SUVs. They obviously do, at least in the U.S.....the numbers prove that. The problem is that the sedan market is not as dead as the manufacturers are trying to make us believe. That is one reason (among several others) why GM and Ford are taking the heat they are for the plant-closings. And, of course, there are the more visible political and economic reasons...worker layoffs, unemployment, loss of support-businesses for the plants, etc.... This has everyone concerned from the local town officials up through the UAW/UNIFOR, state governments, national legislatures, and even Heads of State involved. This is not my doing.....or simply because I happen to like big Buick sedans. GM and Ford brought this on by their own decisions, and now they are healing with a real mess..
I disagree. The sedan cancellation and the plant closures are two separate issues for GM. Sedan cancellation by GM is the right thing as their market is drying up. Closing the plants are the wrong thing to do and they are using the the sedan cancellations as an excuse to not keep the plants open to make suvs.
Old 04-25-19, 03:13 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Back to the Encore GX...

I think it looks good and would do well here. I've been seeing the Envision around more and more and I think they really got the styling of that one right. This looks good too.
Old 04-25-19, 03:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I disagree. The sedan cancellation and the plant closures are two separate issues for GM. Sedan cancellation by GM is the right thing as their market is drying up. Closing the plants are the wrong thing to do and they are using the the sedan cancellations as an excuse to not keep the plants open to make suvs.
They may be two separate issues, but are strongly intertwined. And, no, the sedan market is not as dry as they are trying (with some success) to make people believe.

Anyhow, though, I agree with JDR76.....back to the Encore GX. This is probably not the thread to expound on the sedan-issues, as we already have some long-winded threads on that.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-25-19 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-25-19, 04:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The Encore GX might be something for people to consider that want something around the size of the Escape/Equinox/RAV-4/CR-V, but a little more upscale and with a domestic nameplate, even of it originates abroad.
Old 04-25-19, 05:04 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

The Encore GX might be something for people to consider that want something around the size of the Escape/Equinox/RAV-4/CR-V, but a little more upscale and with a domestic nameplate, even of it originates abroad.
Most (if not all) buyers of the Encore GX will not know that it is not built in North America.
Old 04-26-19, 05:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
Most (if not all) buyers of the Encore GX will not know that it is not built in North America.
I don’t believe most or almost all will not know. Maybe 80/20 do not know/know. In contrast, watch Honda as they announced they are removing a shift at their American factory, the message was very clear that Honda will keep these employees. And the message is even more clear that Honda is committed to sedans. This just happened last week. Now Toyota is about to make an announcement that Toyota is committed to producing cars in Ontario, they are making a big announcement on Monday.

Car manufacturers also will promote where their car or truck is made when it helps them, at the Auto Show in Toronto, the red maple leaf was all over the GM Equinox making sure people knew it was Made In Canada. Let us also not forget Toyota when they made sure to promote the 2nd gen Tundra as designed in the USA, and born in Texas.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-26-19 at 05:43 AM.
Old 04-26-19, 06:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
In the past, I would have agreed that it would probably not be much of an issue, but those days are rapidly passing away. It is no longer considered acceptable, by much of the public, for companies to build abroad and sell here under a domestic nameplate. I'll admit that Buick manages to sell the Chinese-built Envision here, but even with the Envision, there will be pressure (such as with Trump's tariffs) to bring production back home.
Old 04-26-19, 06:45 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I don't see any purpose, but it's strange, I see people driving the Encore and I wonder if they do it much like how someone gets a BMW X1. They feel somehow it's prestigious.

One time my wife got an Encore loaner, and it was the worst possible timing--we had 2 guests coming in from out of town and planned to show them around. Now we had an infant and two guests, that's 5, in a tiny Encore. Trying to remember why, I think our AC failed when the car only had 28k, or maybe it was when the steering rack failed at 30k, one of those incidents.

What did surprise me was the quality of the interior was way better than our car. Then I remembered ours is made in MI, this is made in Korea and was designed by a Chinese woman--kinda illustrated new v. old thinking.
Old 04-26-19, 07:40 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don’t believe most or almost all will not know. Maybe 80/20 do not know/know. In contrast, watch Honda as they announced they are removing a shift at their American factory, the message was very clear that Honda will keep these employees. And the message is even more clear that Honda is committed to sedans. This just happened last week. Now Toyota is about to make an announcement that Toyota is committed to producing cars in Ontario, they are making a big announcement on Monday.

Car manufacturers also will promote where their car or truck is made when it helps them, at the Auto Show in Toronto, the red maple leaf was all over the GM Equinox making sure people knew it was Made In Canada. Let us also not forget Toyota when they made sure to promote the 2nd gen Tundra as designed in the USA, and born in Texas.
80% would be considered "most" by "most" standards.

And Honda being "committed" to sedans means what, exactly? They sell 2 varieties of sedans (if you exclude hybrids) and 4 varieties of SUVs. They haven't added a new sedan since--the 70s? But there is a new SUV this year.
Old 04-26-19, 08:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I don't see any purpose, but it's strange, I see people driving the Encore and I wonder if they do it much like how someone gets a BMW X1. They feel somehow it's prestigious.

One time my wife got an Encore loaner, and it was the worst possible timing--we had 2 guests coming in from out of town and planned to show them around. Now we had an infant and two guests, that's 5, in a tiny Encore. Trying to remember why, I think our AC failed when the car only had 28k, or maybe it was when the steering rack failed at 30k, one of those incidents.

What did surprise me was the quality of the interior was way better than our car. Then I remembered ours is made in MI, this is made in Korea and was designed by a Chinese woman--kinda illustrated new v. old thinking.
your posts often have a great way of leaving things out

your own car’s ac or steering died at low miles, was that the vaunted bmw?

i thought the encore gx will be made in china, not korea? not that it matters.
Old 04-26-19, 08:49 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430

On the other hand, we bought a '17 X1 because we liked the size, handling and performance. It met our needs for a second car so we thought we'd give one a shot. Neither my wife or I felt it was prestigious.
Old 04-26-19, 10:27 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
your posts often have a great way of leaving things out

your own car’s ac or steering died at low miles, was that the vaunted bmw?

i thought the encore gx will be made in china, not korea? not that it matters.
Let's do the reverse Evelyn Woodski, for those old enough to remember.

My wife has a SUV, made by GM, in Michigan. It broke down when new, either 28k or 30k.

She got a loaner car from the dealership, a Buick Encore. It is a small car, too small for 1 infant and four adults.

I don't remember for what reason she got a loaner, but it was either air conditioning or steering.

As far as I know the Encore is made in Korea. If you say China, then ok. But I thought Envision is China and that's it.

The end.

And I'm just kidding lol

Quick Reply: Buick Encore GX expected to come to the U.S.