Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Room for a GS or GS F Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-19, 03:18 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Room for a GS or GS F Coupe?

So I've seen this pop up a couple times on the forum recently, so I was wondering what everyone thought: Is there room for a GS and GS F coupe in the lineup?

Personally, I love the GS F. I went to the launch in Spain, and got to drive the RC F and the GS F back to back, and I honestly liked the sedan better. And I think four-door would be more practical for me, day to day. Plus, I just happen to like fast, sleeper style sedans.

The obvious question here is, if you lop off the rear doors, would there be any daylight between the GS and the RC? And at this point, I'm not really sure there is. The way I think it could work is if Lexus were to give the RC a big power bump, and turn it into a more hardcore sports car. And maybe offer a convertible option? From what I understand, there was talk about offering a drop top from the get-go, and that's why the car is relatively heavy for its size. But when dealers heard about that happening, they stepped up with demands for a third row SUV — and that's why we got the RX L. It made sense to me, give the disparity between the sporty coupe and three-row market.

So what do you think? Would you like to see a render of what a GS and GS F coupe could look like? Let me know and I'll see if I can get, Pouria, our in-house designer to whip one up.

Last edited by Johnny Mayday; 04-19-19 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-19-19, 03:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I would say yes.
Old 04-20-19, 09:48 AM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There’s not even room for a GS sedan apparently.

Lexus is obviously abandoning the “top tier” part of the market aside from LS/LC so I wouldn’t expect an E class coupe competitor.
Old 04-21-19, 05:07 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would love a GS Coupe. A coupe with three seats in the back that can fit adults decently/two baby seats. One can dream.
Old 04-21-19, 08:01 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

lexus would rather go down tiers and do an ES-C instead. Enthusiast won't buy it but the majority will.
Old 04-22-19, 02:12 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Originally Posted by nicedude
I would love a GS Coupe. A coupe with three seats in the back that can fit adults decently/two baby seats. One can dream.
Yeah, I can't remember the last time I felt even somewhat comfortable in the back of a coupe. Seems like they're a niche it could fill...
Old 04-22-19, 02:31 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

I think a four-door "coupe" with a hatch back would be interesting for Lexus to try, but I don't see the midsize couple being anything more than a niche product for them at the moment. The existence of the LC and RC would also mean the GS coupe would be somewhat redundant. Maybe it could be a larger, roomier coupe than the LC, but not as big on performance? A GS F coupe would be really interesting, but again might overshadow the LC, except in the looks and interior quality departments obviously.

Personally I think no, there's not room. If the GS is to be replaced by something else midsize, they might want to consider the "Gran Coupe" route. It would differentiate the GS further from the ES and provide a new vehicle that enthusiasts would be more likely to choose.
Old 04-22-19, 09:37 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Wasn't the old hot selling 2005-12 3GS a 4 Door Gran Coupe?

It had a low roof line, a low waist line, and a low seating position, with raked front and rear windscreens for a very short and small trunk opening.
Many liked its L-Finesse styling, though it was well known as being cramped inside thanks to the low height, and the swoopy jelly mould styling.
However, 3GS sold in fantastic numbers - as the best selling GS series in history - something that the current 4GS has failed to match, at a time when the E Class set new records in sales, raising its peak annual sales form 59k/year to 69k/year.

Last edited by peteharvey; 05-02-19 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-24-19, 12:09 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Originally Posted by arentz07
I think a four-door "coupe" with a hatch back would be interesting for Lexus to try, but I don't see the midsize couple being anything more than a niche product for them at the moment. The existence of the LC and RC would also mean the GS coupe would be somewhat redundant. Maybe it could be a larger, roomier coupe than the LC, but not as big on performance? A GS F coupe would be really interesting, but again might overshadow the LC, except in the looks and interior quality departments obviously.

Personally I think no, there's not room. If the GS is to be replaced by something else midsize, they might want to consider the "Gran Coupe" route. It would differentiate the GS further from the ES and provide a new vehicle that enthusiasts would be more likely to choose.
This is a really good idea... I absolutely loved the look of the Audi A5, and I think the stylists at Lexus could do a great job with the four-door hatch concept. And there might be more room for it in the lineup than another two-door...
Old 04-24-19, 01:35 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Wasn't the old hot selling 2005-12 3GS a 4 Door Gran Coupe?

It had a low roof line, a low waist line, and a low seating position, with raked front and rear windscreens for a very short and small trunk opening.
Many liked its L-Finesse styling, though it was well known as being cramped inside thanks to the low height, and the swoopy jelly mould styling.
However, 3GS sold in fantastic numbers - as the best selling GS series in history - something that the current 4GS has failed to match, at a time when the E Class set new records in sales, raising its peak annual sales form 59k/year to 69k/year.

It was more of a fast back sedan, nowhere near as low slung as the original CLS or 6 series gran coupe plus it was not a very good handler/driver.
Old 04-24-19, 02:29 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UDel
It was more of a fast back sedan, nowhere near as low slung as the original CLS or 6 series gran coupe plus it was not a very good handler/driver.
The original CLS only had 4 seats too, and the rear roof line curved downwards even more than 3GS.

I still have 3GS which my staff drive.
Yes, the 3GS handling isn't great because the springs are very soft, but the electronic dampers can be set to Sports for a very controlled ride.
I couldn't imagine the 3GS being firmed up, because the old body structure or the waterfall-type dash was so flimsy, firm springs would cause even more creaks and rattles in the body and dash.

New 4GS is very square shaped and practical, with a huge trunk for a lawn mower.
4GS has a much tighter body structure and T-shaped dash, with probably 4-suspension mounts to the center console for less creaking.
However, the low swoopy styling of the 3GS disappeared - as did sales.

Now, TMC makes a comeback with low rooflines and low waistlines across the entire range including new Corolla, Camry, and 5LS, combined with the modern stiffer bodies, but firmer springing, and even lower profile tires are only used on the sports trims.

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-27-19 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-26-19, 03:25 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

What kind of design cues would everybody like to see on a GS Coupe?
Old 04-27-19, 09:07 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Mayday
What kind of design cues would everybody like to see on a GS Coupe?
Number one for me would be a sleeker roofline, like the upcoming G80 will have. I think we are in agreement it worked well on the 3GS. Also, I'm not the biggest fan of the current GS's very conservative side profile. It's a good looking car, sure, but not as exciting as it should be from the side.
Old 04-27-19, 01:21 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by arentz07
Number one for me would be a sleeker roofline, like the upcoming G80 will have. I think we are in agreement it worked well on the 3GS. Also, I'm not the biggest fan of the current GS's very conservative side profile. It's a good looking car, sure, but not as exciting as it should be from the side.
Very tough for my poor old 4GS.
4GS thought it had to be tall square and practical.
Next thing, the entire market switches back to the 3GS's low slung swoopy shape again based on the premises that SUV's now provide the space and practicality...

Though I'm not a fan of the long front overhangs of the FWD platforms.
I actually prefer new Camry's shorter front overhang over new 7ES's long front overhang, but overall the 7ES looks far better than Camry, plus huge rear legroom inside...

Last edited by peteharvey; 05-02-19 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-29-19, 05:39 AM
rryba
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, 3GS just outrun design that's why everybody had a thought time to move to newer gen. Now every coupe model looks like 2006 GS. It's insane. What a great timeless design they made.
Back to topic in my opionion this would be greate move for lexus to push GS cupe and grand tourer models into market. Every luxury brand had some options for this market share and since lexus dont want to fight agains yourself (ES) , GS can be great once again as a grand coupe / grand tourer.

Quick Reply: Room for a GS or GS F Coupe?