Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best Vehicle Under $5,000

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-19, 05:13 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a tall order 14RX350, but your starting point should be here:

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/TSP-List

You can browse by vehicle year and recommended picks from them. Basically you're going to need the biggest, heaviest vehicle with the features you mentioned. But $5K isn't going to get you much.
Old 04-10-19, 09:38 PM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
It's a tall order 14RX350, but your starting point should be here:

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/TSP-List

You can browse by vehicle year and recommended picks from them. Basically you're going to need the biggest, heaviest vehicle with the features you mentioned. But $5K isn't going to get you much.
Thanks Matt, That's a good resource. I liked the es300 idea but saw that they got poor rating for neck/ head restraint so that kinda turned me off. I guess I gotta just do more research on that site. Ive also looked into the driver death rate articles. That's one of the reasons I chose the RX originally. I guess I put the 5k limit because I kept thinking about all the cars that I loved but only paid a few thousand for. Their only downfall was that they werent as safe as the newer ones. Seems like 2006 or so is when they started adding ESC and curtain airbags standard on more cars. Maybe a 2006 highlander? Seems like the prices for used imports are way high though. I heard used cars are at an all time high. I'm sure domestics are cheaper but I'm not familiar enough with them to know which models are relaible and which are junk. I like sedans and wagons, but unfortunately it seems SUV's are safer. And everyone wants an SUV so they seem to be way overpriced. I'm kinda frustrated to have paid so much for the RX, only to hate it. Would be nice to get a car I enjoyed but was still as safe. I'll keep u guys posted on what I find. Maybe a van?
Old 04-11-19, 08:20 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Any van you can get for 5k or less you won't want...
Old 04-11-19, 08:31 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by 14RX350
I think you gotta re-read my post...
The 2014 RX I have now was not 5k.
My question was what was the best/ safest car u can get for 5k.
Its not really about what's the most u can afford.
Some people would rather do other things with their money. Just because they can afford more, doesnt mean they want to spend more.
What I'm saying is there might be an RX that costs 5k, and it will have many qualities in common with the 2014. I would have no idea what year. A $5000 LS430 is likely to be 2001-2003'ish. Point is a 2001 LS430 still has the safety blah blah blah that it did in 2001, here in 2019, and doesn't have the $55k price tag. I don't know where this is going but $5k is a lot of money, with a lot of choices, but it doesn't mean unlimited choices, and as you add qualifications it may or may not be enough to spend. Say you want bluetooth 3.0 and apple play, you probably have ruled out every car available that costs $5k. Then, you have to start prioritizing what's necessary and what's not. Nobody here can do that.
Old 04-11-19, 08:34 AM
14RX350
Driver

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Haha
maybe you're right
Old 04-11-19, 08:36 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
My relatives had a MPV that was given to them for free, it was pretty nice and I even used it to move some Herman Miller Eames chairs. When I say it was given to them free, I don't know what the book value was but clearly under $5k....I think the issue is we all want more than what we're paying. Maybe that's what's going on here. What's wrong with a 2005 CR-V is one thing that comes to my mind? It's not a Lexus but it would seem to be a reliable and safe car. I would never drive one, maybe OP is like me.
Old 04-11-19, 08:38 AM
14RX350
Driver

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
What I'm saying is there might be an RX that costs 5k, and it will have many qualities in common with the 2014. I would have no idea what year. A $5000 LS430 is likely to be 2001-2003'ish. Point is a 2001 LS430 still has the safety blah blah blah that it did in 2001, here in 2019, and doesn't have the $55k price tag. I don't know where this is going but $5k is a lot of money, with a lot of choices, but it doesn't mean unlimited choices, and as you add qualifications it may or may not be enough to spend. Say you want bluetooth 3.0 and apple play, you probably have ruled out every car available that costs $5k. Then, you have to start prioritizing what's necessary and what's not. Nobody here can do that.
Ok, I understand now what you're saying.
Old 04-11-19, 08:42 AM
14RX350
Driver

My relatives had a MPV that was given to them for free, it was pretty nice and I even used it to move some Herman Miller Eames chairs. When I say it was given to them free, I don't know what the book value was but clearly under $5k....I think the issue is we all want more than what we're paying. Maybe that's what's going on here. What's wrong with a 2005 CR-V is one thing that comes to my mind? It's not a Lexus but it would seem to be a reliable and safe car. I would never drive one, maybe OP is like me.
Nothing really. That's definitely a contender. Hey I threw in vans... I'm not really concerned with the looks Lol. Definitely doesn't have to be a Lexus or luxury anything. Safety is #1 criteria here.
Old 04-11-19, 08:45 AM
14RX350
Driver

Let me try and rephrase... What's the most safety I can get for my money in terms of safety value per dollar spent.
Old 04-11-19, 11:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 14RX350
Let me try and rephrase... What's the most safety I can get for my money in terms of safety value per dollar spent.
For safety alone....in a new vehicle, probably with entry-level Volvo and Mercedes products. I say "entry-level" vehicles in those two brands because, while both are well-known for their safety engineering, upper-level versions can be quite expensive, and well past the Law of Diminishing Returns for more money spent on a vehicle. However, most vehicles (and brands of vehicles), today, even lower-priced brands like Kia and Hyundai, offer a lot of safety-engineering in general.....both the U.S. government and consumers demand it.

For a used vehicle 5K or below, again I'd say Volvo or Mercedes, although either one would be quite old, you will likely run into reliability problems......and Mercedes parts can be quite expensive.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-11-19 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-12-19, 09:24 AM
14RX350
Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
For safety alone....in a new vehicle, probably with entry-level Volvo and Mercedes products. I say "entry-level" vehicles in those two brands because, while both are well-known for their safety engineering, upper-level versions can be quite expensive, and well past the Law of Diminishing Returns for more money spent on a vehicle. However, most vehicles (and brands of vehicles), today, even lower-priced brands like Kia and Hyundai, offer a lot of safety-engineering in general.....both the U.S. government and consumers demand it.

For a used vehicle 5K or below, again I'd say Volvo or Mercedes, although either one would be quite old, you will likely run into reliability problems......and Mercedes parts can be quite expensive.
Thanks for the info
Old 04-12-19, 10:14 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Is there any "proof" to a Volvo being safe? I believe they got that reputation in the 70's when they had a bar running through the doors, 4 wheel discs in 1975, four 3 point safety belts, headrests that were proper and even in the rear. But they rode that from like 1975 to 1993 unchanged, and imho a 1993 240 was less safe than almost every other 1993 vehicle. In this day and age I have peered through their wheels and seen cheap floating calipers, like any other car. Even the 240's had ATE fixed calipers (or Girling, I liked ATE on mine). I'm gonna say myth lol
Old 04-12-19, 10:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Is there any "proof" to a Volvo being safe?
Well, what I said was pretty close. U.S. News ranks Volvo #2 out of the Top Ten brands for safety.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/safest-car-brands

and Forbes has them on top.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/doronle.../#5da7d0d72523

In this day and age I have peered through their wheels and seen cheap floating calipers, like any other car.
So what's cheap about floating calipers? It's the pads and rotors that actually stop the vehicle, not the calipers.
Old 04-12-19, 10:33 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Well, what I said was pretty close. U.S. News ranks Volvo #2 out of the Top Ten brands for safety.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/safest-car-brands

and Forbes has them on top.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/doronle.../#5da7d0d72523
Again I find those to be like Gartner and JD Power. I mean what's the marginal benefit between a Sonata, Accord, and Volvo (in reverse), when it comes to safety. My guess is none....and my point is if you put cheap brakes on a 2020 car, which you did not do in 1975 (relatively expensive ones back then), to me that's only because people don't shop brakes...
Old 04-12-19, 12:04 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Couple of suggestions to add to the thread:

2008 - 2010 Audi A4 Quattro. Checks most of the boxes, with side curtain airbags and stability control system. Reliability though is a bit so-so. Might be over $5K though.

2006 - 2010 Subaru Legacy. Just like the A4. AWD, airbags galore, but stability control was optional. Ok buy, but watch out for head gasket issues/service.

These two got good ratings with IIHS tests.

Quick Reply: Best Vehicle Under $5,000