Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Minivan Assembly Starts In 2020, Japanese Paper Claims

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-19, 07:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You don't have to be so aggressive...its just a conversation.

My point was common wisdom would tell you the vast majority of minivan buyers have kids. However, I have been surprised by the number of posters on my Pacifica forum that do not have kids. So, maybe there would be some buyers for a Lexus minivan.

As a longtime Lexus customer who also buys minivans (i.e. a good candidate to purchase a Lexus minivan) *I* would not buy one. My wife and kids are too hard on their van, and the van doesn't bring me enough enjoyment (as I don't like the look, layout, feel inside or driving position of a van) to spend more of my time cleaning the van up after them. If we were to buy a nice SUV I would like it enough to do that.

If there were a Lexus minivan, I think the target buyer would be one of those people who dont have kids or their kids are grown vs somebody like me who has money but does have young kids. For me, I'm not buying anything nice the kids come in contact with LOL, no flooring, furniture, cars, nothing. When they get older then sure, but at that point I'm going to get a nice luxury 3 row SUV.
Ok. I get what you are saying now. Yes, I am sure there are many owners that do not have kids. Hard to know what the target buyer would be for a Lexus minivan, I am sure Toyota would know that demographic very well with their Sienna top end sales data.
Old 04-07-19, 07:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,867 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Ok. I get what you are saying now. Yes, I am sure there are many owners that do not have kids. Hard to know what the target buyer would be for a Lexus minivan, I am sure Toyota would know that demographic very well with their Sienna top end sales data.
I'm sure they do know, and I'm sure that's a big reason why there isn't a Lexus minivan.

Remember, Toyota hasn't even invested in an all new Sienna, and the current Sienna is archaic compared to other vans, its been mid-cycle refreshed 3 times. The minivan segment is shrinking, not growing. The fact that Toyota has neglected the Sienna so badly shows me there won't be a Lexus minivan.

My Pacifica has all sorts of issues (now there's a rust bubble on the hood) but I wouldnt trade it for a Sienna because the Sienna is so old.
Old 04-07-19, 07:13 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 201 Posts

I don’t know what you are trying to prove. You have kids some don’t. Kids are messy. Kids take time. Those who do not have kids will never understand.
That's what the minivans are for. Kids mess around and minivan is perfect for them. But I see this Lexus minivan would going to be an additional limo cars in NYC soon.
Old 04-07-19, 07:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by s3v3n
That's what the minivans are for. Kids mess around and minivan is perfect for them. But I see this Lexus minivan would going to be an additional limo cars in NYC soon.
I am sure there is a 10% room for a Lexus version of a Sienna. What difference does it make if the Lexus customer spends $60K on a Lexus Van or a RX-L. It’s the same thing really.
Old 04-07-19, 07:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I am sure there is a 10% room for a Lexus version of a Sienna. What difference does it make if the Lexus customer spends $60K on a Lexus Van or a RX-L. It’s the same thing really.
Except that 10% of the sales of the Sienna are only 9-10k units a year, and declining YoY (as is the segment overall). Does that justify retooling the Sienna enough to make it a Lexus? Remember, "American minivans" are only sold here, where the RX is sold elsewhere in the world.

Lexus is trying to distance themselves from Toyota more, so it would have to be more than just badges. it would need all exterior sheetmetal, all interior components and panels. wheels, etc
Old 04-07-19, 08:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Except that 10% of the sales of the Sienna are only 9-10k units a year, and declining YoY (as is the segment overall). Does that justify retooling the Sienna enough to make it a Lexus? Remember, "American minivans" are only sold here, where the RX is sold elsewhere in the world.

Lexus is trying to distance themselves from Toyota more, so it would have to be more than just badges. it would need all exterior sheetmetal, all interior components and panels. wheels, etc
Think next generation Sienna. You would not have to retool much for a Lexus trim line. I also do not think Lexus IS trying to distance themselves, their FWD stuff are all related to Toyota.
Old 04-07-19, 08:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Think next generation Sienna. You would not have to retool much for a Lexus trim line. I also do not think Lexus IS trying to distance themselves, their FWD stuff are all related to Toyota.
Theyre trying to distance themselves in regards to their look, switchgear, feel etc. Not platforms. A Lexus van would need all new bodywork, interior, etc.

Even a new Sienna won’t sell more than 120k units making 10% still 12k units which isn’t much.
Old 04-07-19, 09:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Theyre trying to distance themselves in regards to their look, switchgear, feel etc. Not platforms. A Lexus van would need all new bodywork, interior, etc.

Even a new Sienna won’t sell more than 120k units making 10% still 12k units which isn’t much.
I think you are looking for any excuse possible to not have a van. Most of the switchgear would come from other Lexus models such as the ES or RX
Old 04-07-19, 01:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think you are looking for any excuse possible to not have a van. Most of the switchgear would come from other Lexus models such as the ES or RX
If thats true then you're just looking for any excuse possible for them to have a van.

Its just common sense, you would need an all new dash, seats, door panels, headliner, IP, center stack design. If they're going to do it, they should do it right. All new sheetmetal outside.

Just slapping a Lexus badge on a Sienna would devalue the whole Lexus brand.

Look how long it took them to cave and offer a poorly executed 3 row crossover vehicle, thats a growing segment with 3-4 times the number of potential annual sales than a minivan.

Lexus minivan aint gonna happen.
Old 04-09-19, 06:57 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,604 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Et voila!

Lexus will deubt a new member of the flagship family at the 2019 Shanghai International Auto Show: the new Lexus LM world premiere of the luxury MPV. This is the fifth flagship product launched by Lexus after the flagship luxury sedan LS, the flagship luxury GT coupe LC, the full-size luxury SUV LX and the luxury yacht LY.

Lexus integrates the oriental car philosophy into the new LM, creating a new style of MPV that is connected to the minds of drivers and passengers. With exquisite craftsmanship, a comfortable ride, and a cockpit atmosphere at home, you will find a place to relax, indulge in meditation and inspire your inspiration.
The expectation is that the LM MPV will only be available in China and East Asia, though there has been no confirmation to that effect. For Lexus to classify it as a flagship vehicle is significant, and not to be taken lightly — this could be the most opulent minivan ever released by a luxury manufacturer.

The Lexus LM luxury minivan will debut on April 16th at the Shanghai Motor Show.

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2019/04/...ai-motor-show/
Old 04-09-19, 06:58 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 201 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by JDR76

It's ugly. But what can I say, all minivans are.
Old 04-09-19, 07:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Not coming to America though
Old 04-09-19, 12:07 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts

I would take this over the RX any day. Probably be close to $100k though in its current form. Will it be on a GA-L platform or still on the old crap?
Old 04-09-19, 12:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
I would take this over the RX any day. Probably be close to $100k though in its current form. Will it be on a GA-L platform or still on the old crap?
Whats with the old crap wording? I am not thrilled with Toyotas new TNGA thing they got going. GA-L is based off the TNGA.
Old 04-09-19, 12:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Same identical powertrain as the NA Sienna 3.5.