Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

D.C. Auto Show April 5-14

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-19, 06:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default D.C. Auto Show April 5-14

For those of you in or near the D.C. area, don't forget the D.C. Auto Show starts next Friday, April 5, and runs through Sunday April 14. In the past, free show-tickets could be picked up at any local D.C. area new-vehicle dealer, but this year, for some reason, the tickets are late arriving.

https://www.washingtonautoshow.com

Here's the current floor plan...it's quite similar to what was there the last couple of years.

https://www.washingtonautoshow.com/s...fo/floor-maps/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...54081528221277

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-30-19 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-30-19, 06:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

I do see Cadillac on the floor plan?
Old 03-30-19, 06:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I do see Cadillac on the floor plan?
Caddy, Mercedes, Porsche, and BMW are all (apparently) skipping the D.C. show again this year. As I recall, Caddy, MB, and Porsche were not there last year, either....although I'm not sure about BMW. Some of those companies have also been skipping the Detroit show in recent years.

I'm going this year (probably for at least a couple of days), but not so much for me as for others...and to get some advance views on some 2020 models I've been asked to review or write about, such as the next-generation Ford Explorer and Bronco. (We'll have to see if they reach local dealerships in time for the time-limit on the Annual Ford Test-Drive gift-card Mastercard offer, or if Ford even has that program again this year......Lincoln has already converted theirs to a charity-donation program instead). With so many full-size upscale sedans disappearing (or that will be disappearing by the end of the year), there probably won't be much at the show I personally am interested in, except for some versions of the new Avalon and Cadenza, both of which I've already sampled and done brief write-ups on, and the Genesis G80.
Old 03-30-19, 06:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

For those going, I highly recommend the subway rather than to try and drive/park downtown, which can be next to impossible. Even with Metro's subway problems (which, yes, can be annoying) they are still usually a better choice than drive-yourself....and cheaper than a cab or Uber-ride. From whatever subway station you use, transfer to the the Metro Green or Yellow line and get off at the Mt. Vernon Square / Convention Center station. The building-entrance off the subway itself is directly above the station, on the escalators, unless they have that entrance blocked off for some reason (which occasionally happens)...then you'll have to walk a couple of blocks down to the building's front-entrance.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-30-19 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-30-19, 07:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Caddy, Mercedes, Porsche, and BMW are all (apparently) skipping the D.C. show again this year. As I recall, Caddy, MB, and Porsche were not there last year, either....although I'm not sure about BMW. Some of those companies have also been skipping the Detroit show in recent years.

I'm going this year (probably for at least a couple of days), but not so much for me as for others...and to get some advance views on some 2020 models I've been asked to review or write about, such as the next-generation Ford Explorer and Bronco. (We'll have to see if they reach local dealerships in time for the time-limit on the Annual Ford Test-Drive gift-card Mastercard offer, or if Ford even has that program again this year......Lincoln has already converted theirs to a charity-donation program instead). With so many full-size upscale sedans disappearing (or that will be disappearing by the end of the year), there probably won't be much at the show I personally am interested in, except for some versions of the new Avalon and Cadenza, both of which I've already sampled and done brief write-ups on, and the Genesis G80.
I had meant, I do not see Cadillac. That is odd as the rest of the GM family is present

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-30-19 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-30-19, 08:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I had meant, I do not see Cadillac. That is odd as the rest of the GM family is present
No odder than last year. That's GM's marketing for you....makes about as much sense as a submarine with screen doors.
Old 03-30-19, 08:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

BMW was there last year...
Old 03-30-19, 08:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
That's why I said I wasn't sure about BMW last year. I didn't remember spending much time at their display.

I don't know what's with the Germans......only VW and Audi are coming to D.C. this year. Even Detroit seems to having some trouble recruiting the Germans. Perhaps they feel that it costs them more to actually put on a display at the shows than they estimate they are getting back in sales from them.
Old 03-31-19, 06:11 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Porsche was there last year. They were next to Audi. They are there again this year as shown on the map
Old 03-31-19, 08:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexusNN
Porsche was there last year. They were next to Audi. They are there again this year as shown on the map
Thanks....good catch. At first, I didn't catch the Porsche display on the map this year, but you're correct...it's there. I don't remember Porsche being here last year, though.....they have skipped several years recently, and even skipped Detroit for one or two years.

Mitsubishi has also skipped the D.C. show for several years recently, but they are such a small player on the American scene now that they probably don't even have the funds or resources for an adequate display now.
Old 03-31-19, 09:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

I don't know what's with the Germans.....
not sure we need to characterize the multiple brands and companies based in Germany as ‘the Germans’. That would be like characterizing tesla, gm, ford, etc., as ‘the Americans’ or mitsubishi, honda, toyota and subaru as ‘the Japanese’ which wouldn’t make much sense.
Old 03-31-19, 11:00 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not sure we need to characterize the multiple brands and companies based in Germany as ‘the Germans’. That would be like characterizing tesla, gm, ford, etc., as ‘the Americans’ or mitsubishi, honda, toyota and subaru as ‘the Japanese’ which wouldn’t make much sense.
Seems ok to me. That’s how I would classify those automakers. It’s ok not to be PC 100% of the time.
Old 03-31-19, 02:08 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
BMW and Mini bowed out of Philly this year, and they were there last year.
Old 03-31-19, 03:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
OK.....given the global nature of the industry today, I'll agree with that. I was using the term "Germans" mostly in an arbitrary manner....where VW / Audi / Porsche, MB, and BMW are actually headquartered.
Old 03-31-19, 04:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

OK.....given the global nature of the industry today, I'll agree with that. I was using the term "Germans" mostly in an arbitrary manner....where VW / Audi / Porsche, MB, and BMW are actually headquartered.
I don’t see what the big the deal is. You used the term “Germans” correct and you were right. There are German brands and most people are aware who they are. Where they are made is of little relevance.

Quick Reply: D.C. Auto Show April 5-14