Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you have a dashcam in your vehicle?
Yes
58.73%
No
41.27%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Do you have a dashcam in your vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-19, 08:35 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Agree 100%. I have a Viofo A129 Duo (front and rear cam) that works great. No reason for me to upgrade unless I want higher resolution, but the 1080p/30fps works well enough. I burned through one 32gb memory card before learning that I should be using "high endurance" cards. I currently use a 32gb Transcend High Endurance card in a cheaper cam for my wife's car and a 256gb Samsung EVO card for the Viofo. That cam has saved me from paying for my insurance deductible on a hit-and-run, and also helped authorities catch an underage driver in an unregistered vehicle. It's also caught a TON of careless driver behavior, but I've been too busy to compile and upload it.
I really find myself more at ease when someone blatantly cuts me off, as if I can follow the "Golden Rule" better and let it go. In my mind, it's as if legal meets my mind. Not a whole lot happens if you press * whatever to report aggressive driving, actually, nothing. If there is contact, it's another ball game. But I don't want that because I don't want body work on any vehicle. The reason I'm at ease seems to be because it's documented and not anonymous. Of course, 95% of the videos are overwritten. I forgot to download the Lacrosse on fire (it was blazing) and another serious accident two weeks ago. Although I admit the videos are hardly exciting....

Today I don't have the cam as I switched cars, and I sailed through a yellow. Wouldn't you know a cop was at the intersection? He didn't do anything but I thought if I had my cam I could clearly establish that it was yellow, not red. But I didn't have to--I generally believe a cop would never say you ran a red when it wasn't red, why would he/she? There are plenty of people who do run the red....I have played back going through red light cams on yellow, and school buses as well, to verify for my own sake that I did not cross a red....

Old 03-20-19, 08:39 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
have 7 family vehicles, all of them have dash cams, even the Viper and LC
Are any of them hardwired? As mentioned, I would love a BlackVue as it has front/rear and is more inconspicuous. But it's not that bad where I run the wire back around the rear right pass seat, and then up the B pillar under the weather seal to the passenger front visor.

I had the BMW in without the cam in Dec. for the state inspection, and when I got the car back, the wire was taken out and left on the rear right floor. I thought wth?! Then I remembered they performed a blower motor recall so the tech would have had to move the front pass seat all the way back to get room to work...
Old 03-20-19, 08:49 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

The poll results make it seem like 7 out of 10 drivers are using them. I'm sure it's more along the lines of 1 out of 10, at most. I rarely see anyone with a dash cam in the Chicago metro area.
Old 03-20-19, 09:55 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Apparently a number of government bodies prohibit dashcams, hence manufacturers have not added wiring for OEM recording.

Is that true? The latest Tesla update made their surround view cameras able to record for the purposes of accident and theft protection. There are multiple articles online about how a Tesla camera lead to solve crimes.

I have one for the front and it bothers me that I can sort of see the wire. I did my best to tuck it under some stuff along the A pillar, down to under the carpet mats, but it has to come back up to reach a USB at the center console. I wish more manufacturers allowed their front facing cameras to have a dual purpose for dash cam.
Old 03-20-19, 12:01 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

yep, both front and rear cams on both my vehicles......pretty much a necessity with today's idiot drivers.
Old 03-20-19, 03:26 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Is that true? The latest Tesla update made their surround view cameras able to record for the purposes of accident and theft protection. There are multiple articles online about how a Tesla camera lead to solve crimes.

I have one for the front and it bothers me that I can sort of see the wire. I did my best to tuck it under some stuff along the A pillar, down to under the carpet mats, but it has to come back up to reach a USB at the center console. I wish more manufacturers allowed their front facing cameras to have a dual purpose for dash cam.
https://www.lifewire.com/are-dash-cams-legal-534879

I'm not sure why it would be illegal to have an OEM built-in dashcam? Built-in has little windscreen obstruction.
Maybe under the electronic surveillance clause?

Old 03-20-19, 06:02 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Someone just bottom line this for me please-- how much can I get a no-frills one for that gets the job done?

All I care about is if it can record a license plate semi-clearly.
Old 03-20-19, 06:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I have had one for about 3 months. I'm surprised so many people have them!
Old 03-20-19, 06:39 PM
98SNAKETR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AJT123
Someone just bottom line this for me please-- how much can I get a no-frills one for that gets the job done?

All I care about is if it can record a license plate semi-clearly.
B1W from BlueSkySea

It's basic (set it and forget it), small (about the size of a roll of nickels) and most importantly, reliable.

The manufacturer runs specials on the dash cam forums every once in a while.

I picked mine up for $35 shipped.

It has wifi so I can log in and review footage or change settings using my cell or iPad.

I use it as an interior cam

See footage @ 6:10 of this video for actual footage.

Keep in mind you'll still need a microsd card (supports up to 64GB)
Old 03-20-19, 07:00 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by 98SNAKETR
B1W from BlueSkySea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNvPGQbcKEI

It's basic (set it and forget it), small (about the size of a roll of nickels) and most importantly, reliable.

The manufacturer runs specials on the dash cam forums every once in a while.

I picked mine up for $35 shipped.

It has wifi so I can log in and review footage or change settings using my cell or iPad.

I use it as an interior cam

See footage @ 6:10 of this video for actual footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPnXiVffX50

Keep in mind you'll still need a microsd card (supports up to 64GB)
Thank you, sir!

I've been meaning to get one.
Old 03-20-19, 07:31 PM
Natey2
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Mike728
The poll results make it seem like 7 out of 10 drivers are using them. I'm sure it's more along the lines of 1 out of 10, at most. I rarely see anyone with a dash cam in the Chicago metro area.
I'm sure ClubLexus members are far more discerning than the average motorist out there :^)
Old 03-20-19, 07:41 PM
Natey2
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

If the dashcam has GPS, couldn't that have incriminating evidence that you might have been traveling over the speed limit?
Could an officer demand that information?
Old 03-20-19, 08:25 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I have had one for about 3 months. I'm surprised so many people have them!
they are dirt cheap and capable now. Kind of foolish not to have one now when they can really save your can
Old 03-21-19, 01:50 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I see so many $12 cams on aliexpress.

Does anyone have a cheap one under $15 they can recommend?

Ain't gonna spend $100 for a rexing, which I already have.
but I also know super cheap cams aren't all great either. Just need a cheap one for my other car.
Old 03-21-19, 04:55 AM
98SNAKETR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pman6
I see so many $12 cams on aliexpress.

Does anyone have a cheap one under $15 they can recommend?

Ain't gonna spend $100 for a rexing, which I already have.
but I also know super cheap cams aren't all great either. Just need a cheap one for my other car.

Not gunna find much in terms of quality with a $15 dash cam.

Picture as well as reliability will defintely not be up to par.

That being said, if you want sumthin useful and solid enough on the cheap, you might wanna look into a sports cam

You can get an SJ5000 on EBay for about ~$15 bucks

Similar to a GoPro, they can handle abuse and also has a loop recording option like most dash cams.

I have several of them that I keep laying around just in case and they work well for the money.

Quick Reply: Do you have a dashcam in your vehicle?