Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla Model Y

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-19, 11:37 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Kept checking this site for a Y thread and nothing. Interesting.
So I'm shocked how many people are skipping over how ugly this car is. It looks like a bloated VW Beetle/Disneyland joke-mobile. I am sad it's come down to this being the thing to have. The 3 looks ten times better, and even that isn't saying much.

Old 03-17-19, 03:49 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Kept checking this site for a Y thread and nothing. Interesting.
So I'm shocked how many people are skipping over how ugly this car is. It looks like a bloated VW Beetle/Disneyland joke-mobile. I am sad it's come down to this being the thing to have. The 3 looks ten times better, and even that isn't saying much.
Agree 100%. If a Tesla is going to be undependable and have poor quality at least be attractive, The front of the Y looks like it has a fat lip and the interior is the same as the 3 which IMO is the ugliest interior ever. It looks like an amusement park bumper car dash. I love the idea of an electric car. I will be first in line when Lexus builds one.
Old 03-17-19, 04:31 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
FYI - the 4Runner has had a 3rd row option for about 10 years now. I'm curious what the 3rd row in this Tesla is like.
Even longer than that. I was in the SUV market late 2003 / early 2004, and it had it then.
Old 03-17-19, 06:16 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
While the 4runner maybe small, this iteration of a 3rd row is crazy small, similar to what Lexus implemented in the RX-L...its unnecessary and thankfully something thats a optional extra. Tesla hasnt released actual dimensions besides the cargo capacity number, and during the post launch test drive that day they kept the 3rd row folded for the most part. A couple videos however show some enterprising folks who took a sneak peek, and it seemed like there were absolutely zero room for legs lol.
It is going to be much smaller 3rd row than RX-L... European vehicles have had 3rd rows in Corolla sized packaged for a very long time now, I think Corolla Verso came out with 3rd row in 2004 and it wasnt first, lots of tiny cars sold in Asia have 3rd row. It is not a bad option for Europe and Asian markets, probably not going to be useful at all for US.

Looks way nicer than 3 or S to me, even X... designed itself IMHO is the best so far from Tesla.
Old 03-17-19, 07:02 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
Agree 100%. If a Tesla is going to be undependable and have poor quality at least be attractive, The front of the Y looks like it has a fat lip and the interior is the same as the 3 which IMO is the ugliest interior ever. It looks like an amusement park bumper car dash. I love the idea of an electric car. I will be first in line when Lexus builds one.
Companies need to design electric cars as if they are conventional ICE cars. At least Jaguar understands to put their great corporate grill on the i-Pace. Most everyone else is doing these blank front ends to be as slippery as possible. The other element is the egg shaped design that all Tesla's have similar to a Prius' shape (minus the S perhaps). Obviously for drag reduction but it shouldn't be necessary. If electric is the future, it should take any shape and size, with "normal" styling.
Old 03-17-19, 08:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

It did not take long for the 4Runner to come up. In the very first post

Originally Posted by JDR76
FYI - the 4Runner has had a 3rd row option for about 10 years now. I'm curious what the 3rd row in this Tesla is like.
4Runner has had a 3rd row option since 2003. 4Runner really is a great design for those who want that type of vehicle.
Old 03-17-19, 09:37 AM
JapanTT
Driver School Candidate

Now that I think about it. When is Lexus going to enter the EV market?
Old 03-17-19, 11:10 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I waited for the Tesla crossover unveil and was totally disappointed. Musk looked unprepared and stumbling on what to say while reading a monitor in the floor. Very poor presentation.

This model Y is no crossover, it's a hatchback with the ugly dash. I don't want to drive while looking at a video screen for everything. I'll pass.
Old 03-17-19, 02:32 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Model Y is simply a tall Model 3. Shares over 70% of its parts for easier production.
Old 03-17-19, 03:21 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Model Y is simply a tall Model 3. Shares over 70% of its parts for easier production.
Yup, which will greatly help Tesla's production ability. However, it disappoints so many who were actually expecting a crossover. They could have easily just given it a 2" suspension lift and thicker tires and it would've been a more satisfying difference.
Old 03-18-19, 08:35 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

the only decent looking tesla's are their first two cars; the tesla roadster and the model S. everything else just looks ugly imo.
Old 03-18-19, 09:27 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

5% drop after a Tesla Product launch.....Food for thought, Tesla is now officially a normal car brand
Old 03-18-19, 09:37 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Just thinking that if Tesla is calling this a crossover, then Toyota can now market the Prius a crossover. A couple of inches added to the roof line isn't what makes a crossover and that is really the only overall design difference between a Prius and a Model Y. AWD is also not a crossover exclusive.
Old 03-18-19, 11:28 AM
Stormwind
Racer

ouch, looks like markets are not impressed with the fast one elon tusk is trying to pull with the early unveil as stocks is now down almost 10% since friday.
Old 03-18-19, 11:46 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stormwind
ouch, looks like markets are not impressed with the fast one elon tusk is trying to pull with the early unveil as stocks is now down almost 10% since friday.
The company promised a compact crossover (the hottest section of the market), and they gave us a hatchback version of the 3? No surprise investors aren't happy.

Next up they're promising a truck. Watch it be a totally useless truck. El Camino? Wouldn't be surprised if that's essentially what we get.
​​

Quick Reply: Tesla Model Y