Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Teslas creating traffic jams?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-19, 03:43 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Interesting responses. So it's the regen of brakes, or the car slightly slowing while the regen happens? What I have observed (from the outside) is the Tesla is in the carpool lane with no one in front for a long distance ahead, and the brake lights flash on for one second, every five seconds. Visibly, the car is not slowing down as far as I can tell (I'd be pacing the same speed a few car lengths back in a slower lane).

I agree I rather see brake lights if the car is making a distinguished slowing. But for tiny little regens and one or two mph reductions, is it really necessary to have brake lights go on and throw the wrong impression to everyone behind? From what I have observed thus far, I think it's overkill and causing more harm than good. And again, I would not want to be in a car that stands out to the highway patrol in any sort of way. Random brakelight applications for reasons unrelated to traffic flow are a tell-tail sign someone is drunk, on the phone, or not paying attention.
Old 03-15-19, 05:00 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
^^ perhaps you meant model 3 not m3

anyway... brake lights may be annoying but this would be more worrisome

Not as bad as this guy, lol

Old 03-15-19, 06:56 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Interesting responses. So it's the regen of brakes, or the car slightly slowing while the regen happens? What I have observed (from the outside) is the Tesla is in the carpool lane with no one in front for a long distance ahead, and the brake lights flash on for one second, every five seconds. Visibly, the car is not slowing down as far as I can tell (I'd be pacing the same speed a few car lengths back in a slower lane).

I agree I rather see brake lights if the car is making a distinguished slowing. But for tiny little regens and one or two mph reductions, is it really necessary to have brake lights go on and throw the wrong impression to everyone behind? From what I have observed thus far, I think it's overkill and causing more harm than good. And again, I would not want to be in a car that stands out to the highway patrol in any sort of way. Random brakelight applications for reasons unrelated to traffic flow are a tell-tail sign someone is drunk, on the phone, or not paying attention.
My guess is that person is not using autopilot and is lifting off the accelerator. You need to apply constant pressure to maintain your speed because once you lift off, regen kicks in
Old 03-15-19, 08:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

^^ again correct

that's why people need to relearn driving EV a bit. a lot of people press the accelerator too much, then they let go to "slow down" and that causes the brake lights to come on because regen brakes kick in. once people learn how much of the gas pedal to press then it is all about controlling how much to press it in and you hardly need the brakes (and no brake lights)
Old 03-15-19, 10:12 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
^^ again correct

that's why people need to relearn driving EV a bit. a lot of people press the accelerator too much, then they let go to "slow down" and that causes the brake lights to come on because regen brakes kick in. once people learn how much of the gas pedal to press then it is all about controlling how much to press it in and you hardly need the brakes (and no brake lights)
Then we have our answer about the brake lights and its cause. Thank you both for explaining it.
So I guess the lesson here is education. More needs to be put forth by Tesla (and the other makers) to help owners understand how to make the whole thing work properly. However, I highly doubt we'll see that take place and plenty "false" brake-lighting will continue to fool those behind. Just the fact that I am the first here to even bring it up means we have a long way to go.
Old 03-17-19, 02:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Then we have our answer about the brake lights and its cause. Thank you both for explaining it.
So I guess the lesson here is education. More needs to be put forth by Tesla (and the other makers) to help owners understand how to make the whole thing work properly. However, I highly doubt we'll see that take place and plenty "false" brake-lighting will continue to fool those behind. Just the fact that I am the first here to even bring it up means we have a long way to go.
i think it's both ways. tesla actually repeatedly educates their customers about it. when i did my test drive and also when taking delivery, the sales/delivery person reiterated on how the regenerative braking works and how we should adjust our driving to get used to this. there is also a setting in the menu to make regenerative braking less aggressive (not as efficient) to mimic more of a regular ICE. so from that point of view it is all about how much the owners want to adapt to this new driving habits to increase the efficiency of their vehicles
Old 03-18-19, 01:20 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

I'd also say you can't fix stupid For the regen to kick in to the point that the brake lights are coming on, that person is definitely getting a jerky ride in there
Old 03-18-19, 04:54 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
I'd also say you can't fix stupid For the regen to kick in to the point that the brake lights are coming on, that person is definitely getting a jerky ride in there
Not sure if you've experienced regen yourself, Allen, it is quote smooth. There are two settings for regen, low and standard. On standard regen you do feel the jerk if you quickly let off the accelerator. However, Autopilot is very smooth in its application of braking/regen. Regardless, no one should doze off and leave driving completely to the car. Future tech should have the car pull over to the side of the road if it detects you sleeping.
Old 03-18-19, 07:01 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Regen is smooth, but regen to the point of the brake lights coming on is another thing. You've got to be aggressively slowing down for the lights to come on. The only other option is that the person that fizz is seeing is tapping their brake pedal for some reason