Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Does Lexus really want to sell a UX?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-19, 10:25 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Does Lexus really want to sell a UX?

This is based off of the current lease offers and before any negotiations. They are effectively $1000 to $1500 of each other between the UX/NX and RX ($1000 is about $29 in monthly lease payment). If someone is in the market for a Lexus crossover, why would anyone choose the UX? Its the same money as the NX and for a little bit more like $1500, you could move up to the RX.

LEASE:

2019 UX 200
$329 MO.
36 MOS.
$3,999 Due at signing

2019 UX HYBRID AWD
$339 MO.
36 MOS.
$3,999 DUE AT SIGNING

2019 NX 300 AWD
$359 MO.
36 MOS.
$2,999 DUE AT SIGNING

2019 RX 350 AWD
$389 MO.
36 MOS.
$3,999 DUE AT SIGNING
Old 03-12-19, 10:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

I have criticized the UX before. People seem to not want to see this vehicle in a down light. The price for for 169hp is just astonishing. No turbo. Nothing like the Mercedes A hatch.
Old 03-12-19, 10:35 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 887 Likes on 508 Posts

The UX is a new vehicle. Most vehicles, upon debut, don't have the greatest lease deals as vehicles that have already been out for some time and have higher factory incentives already. In addition, consumers with the itch to have the newest & next best thing tend to not mind shelling out a little more to be the first on the block with their new toy.

That said, I don't see the pricing coming down too dramatically from the numbers you've shared. I could see $299 lease specials, easily, for a bare bones UX200, but I don't think it'll get much cheaper than that.
Old 03-12-19, 10:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,641 Posts

good points situman. i guess if you want a cramped mini-ute that's not very luxurious, then someone might choose the ux over the rx. otherwise, no point at all if leasing.
Old 03-12-19, 12:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have criticized the UX before. People seem to not want to see this vehicle in a down light. The price for for 169hp is just astonishing. No turbo. Nothing like the Mercedes A hatch.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i guess if you want a cramped mini-ute that's not very luxurious, then someone might choose the ux over the rx. otherwise, no point at all if leasing
Well, folks, as you know (you both read my reviews), I myself panned the UX, quite hard, after a static (no test-drive) review. But, once I reconsidered, went back to the Lexus shop, and test-drove it (at CL request), I found that it actually drove quite well (and refined) for its size.....better, IMO, than the larger and more expensive NX, which was a real disappointment. It did not drive as smooth or refined as the still-larger RX, which is not surprising considering the difference in weight and wheelbase. Still, unlike the NX, if I had to, I could live with a UX as a daily driver, even in the F-Sport version, which I sampled on the road.
Old 03-12-19, 03:55 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Leases based on cars with these msrp’s:
UX200 - $33,303
UX250h - $38,153
NX300 - $37,650
RX350 - $51,333

Base price:
UX200 - $32,000
UX250h - $34,000
NX300 - $36,485
RX350 - $43,670

So much hate for the little UX by most who won’t ever buy in this class anyway. It’s a nice premium little ute. The Hybrid is the one to have. And in terms of lease deals. The UXh and RX350 have a lot more options for the price you’re getting.

Two reasons one would get the UX over an RX would be city living and / or garage size.

If if you don’t like it, don’t buy it. The more offerings from Lexus, the better
Old 03-12-19, 08:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Two reasons one would get the UX over an RX would be city living and / or garage size.

Re: ‘city living’, public transport and uber is probably more convenient (no parking/tolls hassle) and cheaper.

Re: garage size, if you can’t fit an nx or rx, that’s a pretty dang small garage.

Old 03-12-19, 08:58 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Re: ‘city living’, public transport and uber is probably more convenient (no parking/tolls hassle) and cheaper.

Re: garage size, if you can’t fit an nx or rx, that’s a pretty dang small garage.
Some people just prefer their own car/transportation . I know I do. Can’t remember the last time I took public transportation. What about you? Double deckers in Britain?

my last home had a single car garage that barely fit my IS. My home’s garage before that was built for an RV so you could fit 4 cars or a tank
Old 03-12-19, 10:47 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

Not mentioned here is the mpg's advantage with the UX. Quite a bit better than the NX and tons better than the RX. Throw in the hybrid version and the numbers separate even further.
Also, not everyone wants a medium or large-sized SUV. The UX is more of a commuter run-about and will do just fine. Even the lackluster CT sold well for many years, as it was affordable and had the "L" on the grille (affordable and "L" is all it takes sometimes). I'd suspect a similar $299/mo deal sometime next year once the initial hype tapers off. The ES and IS also started off at $399/mo when all-new, but always come down to the low 3's or $299.
Old 03-12-19, 11:05 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Not mentioned here is the mpg's advantage with the UX. Quite a bit better than the NX and tons better than the RX. Throw in the hybrid version and the numbers separate even further.
Also, not everyone wants a medium or large-sized SUV. The UX is more of a commuter run-about and will do just fine. Even the lackluster CT sold well for many years, as it was affordable and had the "L" on the grille (affordable and "L" is all it takes sometimes). I'd suspect a similar $299/mo deal sometime next year once the initial hype tapers off. The ES and IS also started off at $399/mo when all-new, but always come down to the low 3's or $299.
Great points. Not a car for everyone, as there is no such thing as the perfect car. If there was, there would be only one model in the world, and everyone would have it. But it does it’s job, I like the ‘runabout’ comment. And yes wait till December to Remeber, they’ll probably have awesome deals if someone wanted one
Old 03-13-19, 07:50 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,035 Posts

This looks more to me like cheap NX and RX lease deals (expected this late in their life cycle) and less about high UX lease prices.

So much hate for the little UX by most who won’t ever buy in this class anyway. It’s a nice premium little ute. The Hybrid is the one to have. And in terms of lease deals. The UXh and RX350 have a lot more options for the price you’re getting.
When I picked up my GS last month, I asked my salesman how sales were going for the new UX. He said they are selling very well, but everyone wants the hybrid version, as you get so much more in terms of mileage, power, and AWD, for such a small additional price, so it really makes the UX200 a bit of a tough sell. I totally get this. The UX250h is definitely the one to get.
Old 03-13-19, 08:27 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Leases based on cars with these msrp’s:
UX200 - $33,303
UX250h - $38,153
NX300 - $37,650
RX350 - $51,333

Base price:
UX200 - $32,000
UX250h - $34,000
NX300 - $36,485
RX350 - $43,670

If if you don’t like it, don’t buy it. The more offerings from Lexus, the better
Nice little presentation here on lease and base prices. Agree on the UXh as the one to have and loved their Fsport version. The real downside is how quickly price escalates for a well optioned version of UXh Fsport. It brings into other cars that are more affordable. The biggest flaw the UX has is a 33 inch 2nd row seating legroom. I'd seriously wait on the UX and see what the new Audi Q3 has to offer. It has all the upgrades done right (bigger, better, and interior/infotainment). Even the 2nd row seating can slide forward or backwards to the tune of a full 6 inches (want more seating or rear cargo space -- up to you!). I'd even call it a baby Q5 in the same manner that the ES350 has become a baby LS500 in general looks. When the Q3 arrives this summer, the UX will seem restricted by size. It's kind of strange that the Q3's biggest limitation of their first generation (past 8 years) was the 2nd row seating and slightly undersized. Now Lexus is following that example in a puzzling way. Small SUV line up rankings are
upcoming Q3 > CX5 Sig > XC40 > '20 Kia Sportage (refreshed for their last 2 years of model generation)> UXh250 > '19 Forester > NX300/hybrid > 2018 Q3 (last year of previous generation).
Old 03-13-19, 11:31 AM
rmason
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

You know.....I saw a fiat Gucci edition at the local wholefoods this morning and thought the same thing; I suppose we'll never know.
Old 03-13-19, 11:58 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7

Great points. Not a car for everyone, as there is no such thing as the perfect car. If there was, there would be only one model in the world, and everyone would have it. But it does it’s job, I like the ‘runabout’ comment. And yes wait till December to Remeber, they’ll probably have awesome deals if someone wanted one
Certainly every buyer of any cars has certain needs and limitations, but from an optical and value standpoint, it's crazy to have 3 cars to cost almost exactly the same to lease. Potential buyers could be pushed into the NX and RX, and sales of the UX will suffer and knowing Toyota/Lexus, they will just let the product languish like they did to the GS. Not good.
Old 03-13-19, 12:24 PM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

UX is basically for Europe. They will sell some here in US, especially for people in high traffic urban areas. Test drove one, but not for the wide open spaces here in Texas.

Quick Reply: Does Lexus really want to sell a UX?