Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rear exhaust tip damage

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-19, 06:43 PM
EminentNX
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Rear exhaust tip damage

Hi Guys,
I was driving out of my driveway (front facing street) when the rear dipped to what seemed not a significant dip but i heard a scratch. When I looked at it, The chrome tip was completely out of shape. I was shocked at it- as if it was made out of aluminum or something weak. How can a curb cause so much damage? I have decided that I would need to back out with the rear in order to avoid this again.
Any thoughts on how much this may cost to correct?
Thanks!
Old 02-22-19, 04:50 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

To me that's nothing more than an ornament, meaning the actual exhaust is that round extension you can see inside of it. As far as cost, do we know what vehicle this is? Some of those ornaments are actually non functional and closed, i.e. blanks or dummies, like on new Audis and the Camry, so it's just for looks. I would simply push it back in place as best I could and call it a day. It in no way impedes nor obstructs the exhaust. my 02
Old 02-22-19, 09:40 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to the forums, but as John above noted, it's an ornament. Put nearly 4,000 pounds of vehicle into a single point impact, not sure what you would expect. Just be happy that it's not actually connected to the tailpipe, where could you have pushed inward and caused the muffler and catalytic converter pipes to potentially bend and break joints.
Old 02-22-19, 08:59 PM
EminentNX
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
To me that's nothing more than an ornament, meaning the actual exhaust is that round extension you can see inside of it. As far as cost, do we know what vehicle this is? Some of those ornaments are actually non functional and closed, i.e. blanks or dummies, like on new Audis and the Camry, so it's just for looks. I would simply push it back in place as best I could and call it a day. It in no way impedes nor obstructs the exhaust. my 02
thanks for that! Concern was that there was no damage to the pipe. I tried to push but it’s pretty stuck. I will go see what the dealer says.
This is Lexus nx 300.
Old 04-14-21, 09:37 PM
fv2i3
Driver School Candidate

Angry

Originally Posted by EminentNX

thanks for that! Concern was that there was no damage to the pipe. I tried to push but it’s pretty stuck. I will go see what the dealer says.
This is Lexus nx 300.
Hi there,
Did you get any quote from dealer? How much it cost?
I broke mine for NX300.
Thanks
Old 04-14-21, 11:50 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The central rear diffuser is also broken in your pic. But that area sits much higher than your tailpipe tip. So not sure how that part scraped and also got damaged from hitting a driveway surface. It looks like maybe you went off a curb or someone maybe made contact with the rear (?). Either way, all quite fixable. I'd contact your insurance if your deductible isn't that high.
Old 04-15-21, 04:58 AM
EminentNX
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The central rear diffuser is also broken in your pic. But that area sits much higher than your tailpipe tip. So not sure how that part scraped and also got damaged from hitting a driveway surface. It looks like maybe you went off a curb or someone maybe made contact with the rear (?). Either way, all quite fixable. I'd contact your insurance if your deductible isn't that high.
you are correct. I went off the driveway at an angle- hitting the curb with the rear. The dealer ended up repositioning it and bending it straighter to give it a better appearance. But no internal damage. I am actually waiting for the new 2022 NX reveal to trade for. Very excited.