Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Opinions on Ct200h for buying

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-19, 04:41 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 246 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
CT is very reliable and gets a good mileage... if your gf does not need a large car, it is really a good choice.
Hybrids have cheaper maintenance and are generally more reliable than regular vehicles.
cheaper maintenance? how can an engine and an electric motor / hybrid battery system be cheaper than just an engine?
Old 02-17-19, 05:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
cheaper maintenance? how can an engine and an electric motor / hybrid battery system be cheaper than just an engine?

Part of that may depend on how many times the gas engine actually runs or not...and how warm it gets. In an earlier post, I mentioned that oil, coolant, and other underhood fluids often last longer (and suffer less deterioration) if they are regularly warmed up....and unused gas in the tank will also deteriorate. So, the less you have to change fluids, the cheaper maintenance will be.
Old 02-17-19, 05:51 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

since you've obviously never owned one - basically hybrids will never need brake jobs unless you drive the crap out it - and the powertrain is ROCK SOLID - zero issues to 300K. Look it up - lotsa Prius taxis out there.

Old 02-18-19, 08:42 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
since you've obviously never owned one - basically hybrids will never need brake jobs unless you drive the crap out it - and the powertrain is ROCK SOLID - zero issues to 300K. Look it up - lotsa Prius taxis out there.
In addition to the brakes, there's no accessory belt, no starter, and no alternator.
Old 02-18-19, 10:33 AM
john.3is.
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the great info everyone! I highly appreciate it and will take all of your inputs to consideration as we look more into this car. I knew I could rely on my fellow Lexus fanatics
Old 02-18-19, 10:38 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Oddly enough, my cousin who is into all kinds of sports cars, and currently has a C63 AMG, he bought a used CT200 and used it as his daily driver (you could say he's in sales to some extent and has to drive to clients' sites). I don't think he had any issues with it because we talk about cars and he mostly talked about his Armada as having troubles, and the fact that he would choose this car to daily drive, it's probably pretty good! At any rate I know he researches stuff, and chose a CPO CT200.
Old 02-18-19, 11:12 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 246 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
i don't need to look it up, NYC is full of priuses and hybrid camrys and rav4s for taxis lol

that's true i forgot about the regen braking taking a lot of stress off the brakes themselves, and toyota hybrid systems are definitely top notch

but i've seen a few instances over the years... one particular one i remember is a dealership wanted over $4,000 replace the entire hybrid battery system since there was an apparent malfunction, which turned out to just be just a bad connection between two of the cells and the guy fixed it himself

ok i shall rephrase my original statement: if the hybrid car does need maintenance/repairs, there's a chance it'll be more of a to do
Old 02-18-19, 02:08 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

i don't need to look it up, NYC is full of priuses and hybrid camrys and rav4s for taxis lol

that's true i forgot about the regen braking taking a lot of stress off the brakes themselves, and toyota hybrid systems are definitely top notch

but i've seen a few instances over the years... one particular one i remember is a dealership wanted over $4,000 replace the entire hybrid battery system since there was an apparent malfunction, which turned out to just be just a bad connection between two of the cells and the guy fixed it himself

ok i shall rephrase my original statement: if the hybrid car does need maintenance/repairs, there's a chance it'll be more of a to do
generally for TMC stuff, they are reliable and cheap to fix... even if battery goes out of warranty and fails, these days replacements are not too expensive and there are many independent shops working on hybrids. Less of concern for for these model years though, as they are pretty new vehicles.