Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW's New 500-HP S58 Inline-Six Should be Very Interesting to Supra Fans

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-19, 10:26 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

It's quite a shame the Supra will not get this engine, but one has to question the long term durability of such a high strung small engine. High boost and high red line for a turbo engine may not be a very good combination. Sure it will be amazing to drive, but testing in a lab is quite different from day to day drivings.
Old 02-14-19, 10:31 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Are you serious? No offense.

Questioning whether a BMW engine will be reliable is perfectly reasonable. What about the early 2000s M3 and the issues with that 333hp I-6? Insane redline but you couldn't approach it bc the engine would blow after enough times. I will say, however, that probably their sixes are the most "reliable", because BMW V8s are awful, and their V10s don't even make it to 50k miles before throwing rods.
As a former BMW fanboy (maybe I will be back) and current owner, the way I've always looked at it were inline 6's were what I'd want, and the M cars all could potentially have rod bearing issues (not across the board but possible). I don't think I'd ever consider a 4 cyl except for the sweet 31 mpg combined that I always get with loaners. Inline 6's are simply smooth, it's physics. My car has a N54 and I have never had any issues with it engine-wise. Go on the forum there will be folks now (cuz the cars are over 10) who say yeah I did the serpentine at 186k, blah blah blah and never really had any issues. But you are right we can question anything, even Lexus (well you will get bashed but you can do it). But BMW for some reason is hated on many forums, and hence has a "myth" of unreliability and expense, much of which just isn't true.

I saw this engine today in person, what a joke. I'm no expert but looks like a V16.

edit I looked it up online, and the specs say it is 83 liters in displacement, and rated 4000-4700 HP.

Last edited by Johnhav430; 02-14-19 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-14-19, 12:09 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 228 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
That's just completely and absolutely unacceptable, and I'm not just saying that because I drive a Lexus. I really don't get the BMW thing. Several guys I work with have newish BMWs, and they're always standing around talking about what repairs they're getting ready to do....and a thing I've noticed with BMW guys is they defend it, save money aside for repairs, and actually act like BMW's horrid reliability is just "part of it" and it's ok to drop thousands a year in repairs to keep them on the road. BMW fanboys get super defensive when you state the truth that BMW can't design an engine properly. Meanwhile our 8 year old IS350 has had zero problems other than a headlight bulb, and will run with a 335 all day long, and the Toyota 3.5 will run forever.

Baffles me.

A buddy of mine has an old 2000 3 series, the car must be worth $750 but he blows several thousand a year to keep it running. I just don't get it. I mean I love my LS430 as much as anyone loves any car, but if it became a money pit it would be gone and fast.

No offense to anyone; I just don't get it.
Old 02-14-19, 12:24 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

BMW=big money waste
Old 02-14-19, 12:42 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF4life
BMW=big money waste
For sure. Ooops, too short. Absolutely ftw.
Old 02-14-19, 12:54 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Having owned BMWs with N54, N55 and S55 - i speak from personal experience.

There are numerous modded N54s that are going strong.
Yes the injectors and fuel pump were known issues but those are suppliers faults rather anything mechanically wrong with the engine plus u know when those items are going bad.

I don’t understand why ppl still feel BMWs are not reliable.
The only model that was bad was the revolutionary Bangle butt 7series from 2001-2002 which introduced Idrive.
Old 02-14-19, 01:01 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AJT123
That's just completely and absolutely unacceptable, and I'm not just saying that because I drive a Lexus. I really don't get the BMW thing. Several guys I work with have newish BMWs, and they're always standing around talking about what repairs they're getting ready to do....and a thing I've noticed with BMW guys is they defend it, save money aside for repairs, and actually act like BMW's horrid reliability is just "part of it" and it's ok to drop thousands a year in repairs to keep them on the road. BMW fanboys get super defensive when you state the truth that BMW can't design an engine properly. Meanwhile our 8 year old IS350 has had zero problems other than a headlight bulb, and will run with a 335 all day long, and the Toyota 3.5 will run forever.

Baffles me.

A buddy of mine has an old 2000 3 series, the car must be worth $750 but he blows several thousand a year to keep it running. I just don't get it. I mean I love my LS430 as much as anyone loves any car, but if it became a money pit it would be gone and fast.

No offense to anyone; I just don't get it.
The 3.5l V6 has been around since 2006 with zero changes.
In that time BMW has introduced 6-7 Inline 6 engines Alone not including 4,8, and 12 cyl engines. They are always at peak of engineering and tech which does impact reliability a small amount.

Your IS350 is lucky to keep up with a 4cyl 3series, the new 340i does 0-60 in 4.2 sec!
Old 02-14-19, 01:47 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Having owned BMWs with N54, N55 and S55 - i speak from personal experience.

There are numerous modded N54s that are going strong.
Yes the injectors and fuel pump were known issues but those are suppliers faults rather anything mechanically wrong with the engine plus u know when those items are going bad.

I don’t understand why ppl still feel BMWs are not reliable.
The only model that was bad was the revolutionary Bangle butt 7series from 2001-2002 which introduced Idrive.
We give Toyota a hard time over the Tacoma and Tundra frames that rusted out, most folks are quick to point out that its a supplier issue not a toyota issue, well the reality is Toyota should have tested their supplier thoroughly and its still their fault on it (hence why they had to replace decade old truck frames on their dime). Having poor injectors or failing electrical pumps are still failures on the engine builder aka BMW.

BMWs are massively more expensive to maintain, since their on the bleeding edge of tech. They take risks that people dont really want to take, replacing metal components with plastic components for better weight savings, removing mechanical water pumps and alternators and replacing them on demand electrical units. These new strives requires extra maintenance on the long run, which most people care nothing for. They`d rather sit on old tech that never requires any sort of upkeep then take something that might give them a 1% advantage.

In regards to the solid motors from SAs, N52 solid inline 6 (replaced by a solid n20), n55 remedied the N54 issues to an extent (it took away the overbuilt nature of the N54 and a turbo). the V8s stay away from.
Old 02-14-19, 02:15 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 245 Likes on 186 Posts

bmw reliability aside (it's not good), i wouldn't get one mainly because i just don't like them

they have weird finicky controls, firm uncomfortable seats, a firm uncomfortable ride, for the most part they're not that fast, and i hate the bmw door chime noise lol

the only bmws i've ever really lusted after were the E60 M5, the E46 M3 CSL, the E38 750i, (as seen in tomorrow never dies) and of course the 850 CSi
Old 02-14-19, 05:01 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stroock639
bmw reliability aside (it's not good), i wouldn't get one mainly because i just don't like them

they have weird finicky controls, firm uncomfortable seats, a firm uncomfortable ride, for the most part they're not that fast, and i hate the bmw door chime noise lol

the only bmws i've ever really lusted after were the E60 M5, the E46 M3 CSL, the E38 750i, (as seen in tomorrow never dies) and of course the 850 CSi
What BMWs have you actually driven to make these conclusions lol??

BMWs are usually the fastest in their segment, have the best driving position and some of the best seats that have numerous adjustments especially power side bolsters.
Old 02-14-19, 05:24 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

In that time BMW has introduced 6-7 Inline 6 engines Alone not including 4,8, and 12 cyl engines. They are always at peak of engineering and tech which does impact reliability a small amount.

Your IS350 is lucky to keep up with a 4cyl 3series, the new 340i does 0-60 in 4.2 sec!
​​​​​​Does normal people get the same 4.2s time? From what I saw, they brake torque and take off at 3000 rpm. Pretty sure normal people.dont drive that way on the street.
Old 02-14-19, 07:03 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW makes bulletproof inline 6 engines - none of them have issues.

contradict much?

not by a small amount, by a lot. like in thousands of $$
Old 02-14-19, 07:39 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 245 Likes on 186 Posts

What BMWs have you actually driven to make these conclusions lol??

BMWs are usually the fastest in their segment, have the best driving position and some of the best seats that have numerous adjustments especially power side bolsters.

well first off, when i say for the most part i'm talking about the majority that get bought with the base engines, of course the m ones are fast and it's not those i'm talking about... so don't worry about having to defend your cars haha

but anyway i've driven all the x's, a 1 series, a few 3 series, a 1998 540i with 6 mt (that was good), ridden in and sat in a few 7 series, but never any m5s or m3s

when you're actually driving them, they do generally handle fabulously and you feel very confident to keep pushing on... but in basically every other situation apart from maybe looking at the car from the outside, i'd rather be in most other things
Old 02-14-19, 09:43 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol. Only 17 posts to go off topic about BMW engines/reliability? Not bad. The Supra's still not getting the S58. Pray for a future manual option on the Zupra and the fact that the B might be highly underrated for its HP rating
Old 02-14-19, 09:56 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 228 Likes on 191 Posts

I really don't care how fast my IS350 is for bragging rights (although I did search a 350 out and never would have bought a 250), I'm 37 years old and have had enough races and tickets in my younger days. I did go through that phase one time in my life though, so I get it. However, I was just making a point. I have seen legit published 0-60 times of under 5 seconds for my gen IS350, it would run with any 335 the same age. Who cares if it's not been updated? It's potent AF. And in '11 which is the year of my IS it wasn't lagging in any way behind the competition. It proved you don't need twin turbos to make big power. IS isn't even my car, it's my spouse's. I don't drive it that much.

I also could not possibly care less if a 4 cylinder new Bimmer would beat my IS350 in a race, that driver gets to listen to a god-awful 4 cylinder moan every time he starts it up and presses the gas. The ancient Toyota 3.5 is still a monster, and it will always have a refinement and a sound that not one 4 cylinder car on earth will. I can't emphasize enough how much I hate turbocharged 4 cylinder cars (and now ttV6 cars that used to be V8 for that matter, too, LS500 ahem). I don't care if a 4cyl car can do 0-60 in 2.9 seconds, pass.

With all due respect, this is not a valid argument. I don't care how fancy BMW engines are, they are garbage. There is a reason Bimmers depreciate like falling asteroids, because as soon as that warranty is up they become a money pit. Why tout a V10 engine if you can't even design it to last more than 50k miles before throwing a rod? Why tout twin turbos when they blow and cause notorious HPFP issues? Why have that M3 have an 8000RPM redline if you can't approach it in fear of blowing the whole motor? I don't think it was you but someone said earlier along lines of "Drive a 335 like on an autobahn at 125 mph and you'll blow the water pump." Hmm. But aren't German cars designed to run on the autobahn? Both of my Lexus cars can cruise all day long at 125, and my LS actually did once across the desert for literally hours at a time. Years later, it's still in my garage, solid as a rock. I've been in many S-Classes and 7 Series, an LS is every bit the autobahn burner (straight line at least) those cars purport to be.

Does not matter what BMW introduces, innovates, releases, etc. They have shown they skimp badly on engineering. Otherwise they would make motors that last. It's stupid how reliable Toyota engines are, to me personally I don't care if it's behind. I like cars that never visit the dealer other than for oil changes.

edit: To technically not take this off topic, this is why I also could not care less about this Supra. It's a BMW underneath.

Last edited by AJT123; 02-14-19 at 10:16 PM.

Quick Reply: BMW's New 500-HP S58 Inline-Six Should be Very Interesting to Supra Fans