Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

King Alex, Hyundai test drive, and Hyundai’s misleading warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-19, 04:03 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 597 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I see what you mean on how it is confusing. I just like to know what type of data CR is using to come to their conclusions, whats the demographic, whats the sample size etc etc. When I read anything about sample sizes and surveys etc etc, I immediately look for validity, you cannot infer anything from their data, just what they report. If they would provide that data, then their information becomes even more valuable. Compared to Alex on Autos, Motor Week, etc, there satisfaction or reliability data is not worth as much as CR currently is. Does this sort of make sense? In court for example, a judge or jury can believe some evidence, none of the evidence or part of the evidence.

So here is the dilemma, some members on here really, really push Hyundai, the press seems to like Hyundai but not love them, Alex on Autos sort of has a bit of a bias towards KIA and Hyundai which makes sense as his demographics might help dictate that, Hyundai is struggling with profits, the new Elantra has a cash back offer and is 0% financing with a long 5 year warranty, CR seems to grade the Hyundai Hyundai Elantra pretty good but not great (less weight because they review after everyone else has) and their reliability is average and satisfaction is not higher that of the Toyota I would be replacing. So this is how I would come to a conclusion on other sources opinions.

If I hear rebate, and its a big rebate. I start to wonder about why people are not buying something.

For example: Motor Trend publishes all of their road test data. So, when they say a car is 70dbs and 50mph, you can compare the numbers along with other data against other cars. Its also on the same test track. Alex says he measures the data. Doug Demuro just says something is quiet or not. And Motor Week just says it too. To me, the Motor Trend information is more valuable than the others. It would be interesting to see what CR's data is when they mention a car is quiet among other things.
The fundamental point you seem to miss is that the raw data is NOT particularly useful in isolation. It doesn't tell you much unless it can be viewed in the aggregate AND it can be viewed and compared against a) prior model years for the same car and current and prior year data for class competitors.

The second fundamental point you seem to miss is that CR gathers its data from actual owners. Reviewers, even the more thorough ones like Alex, live with the car for maybe a day or two, and have absolutely none of their own cash on the line when they opine on a car. Owners live with the car every day. and are much better placed, IMO, to deliver a meaningful reports on their actual experience. CR says it gets 500,000 responses to its surveys.

The experiences of one owner in isolation are close to worthless. I have a lot of cars that score poorly on all the surveys, yet my individual experience was good. My small sample doesn't undermine the general consensus that Jags and Range Rovers are more likely to have reliability issues than a Camry....

Telling you that Car X had issue Y isn't over helpful. Knowing that owners of Car X have seen increases or decreases in certain issues over time, or to know if that Car X is, on average likely to be more or less reliable than Car Y or Z is genuinely useful information - and it's information you can't get from reviews.

Last edited by swajames; 02-12-19 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-13-19, 04:59 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
tex2670, you've made your point... thank you, but let's get back on topic.
Absolutely. Back on topic .... We have determined that Hyundai's warranty is not misleading, and is in line with industry standards as to limitations and exclusions, but is longer than most direct competitors. ....so..../ENDTHREAD?

Old 02-13-19, 05:41 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Again, on topic, I don't think these car warranties are misleading. Is it misleading that the engine overheated and is done, on a CPO car, and the engine is not covered? No, it is not misleading. Because a hose burst, causing the overheating, and in the terms of the CPO warranty, this has been explicitly spelled out. Want to see this in action? Ask people with Nissan Rogues whose CVTs overheated after 3/36, maybe 37 mos. in, when powertrain is 5/60. How can a CVT not be covered under a powertrain warranty? Because the reason root of the problem was only covered under the 3/36. This was well documented on the Nissan Rogue.

Is health insurance misleading? How many people can actually explain a HRA v. HSA, and how if a HRA has copays, it differs from a PPO with copays? A lot of this notion of being mislead are a) the consumer not wanting to take the time to understand b) the consumer not having the ability to understand the verbiage, terms, and plan

The above has lead to both fraud, and providers being unpaid, and unable to collect.
Old 02-13-19, 06:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
sk people with Nissan Rogues whose CVTs overheated after 3/36, maybe 37 mos. in, when powertrain is 5/60. How can a CVT not be covered under a powertrain warranty? Because the reason root of the problem was only covered under the 3/36. This was well documented on the Nissan Rogue.
That is misleading, the CVT would be assumed that it was covered.

Originally Posted by tex2670
We have determined that Hyundai's warranty is not misleading, and is in line with industry standards as to limitations and exclusions,
Actually I disagree. What other manufacturer has a specific warranty and calls it a new car warranty and then excludes something like the radio, navigation, battery? This is where the confusion is. Toyota's warranty for example is 36 mo, I highly doubt a radio for instance is only covered till 24 mo.

Exclusions are acceptable, like wipers, brake pads, bulbs or other wear and tear. but a radio?
Old 02-13-19, 07:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,301 Likes on 1,503 Posts

If the warranty terms bother you so much, don’t buy the car or get an extended warranty.

you apparently are the only one on this thread who feels as you do.
Old 02-13-19, 07:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
If the warranty terms bother you so much, don’t buy the car or get an extended warranty.

you apparently are the only one on this thread who feels as you do.
Was just pointing it out. Wouldn’t stop me from buying a Hyundai.
Old 02-14-19, 04:26 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

was curious to mention it as it is not a bumper to bumper as the person driving with us mentioned that there were exclusions. I was under the impression it was a bumper to bumper. Was surprised when he said the electrical stuff was not covered.
I don't get how your own personal misunderstanding/assumption is the fault of Hyundai.
Old 02-14-19, 06:05 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Again, it's not misleading if it's spelled out.

Here's an example where a situation was spelled out, and worked in my wife's favor.

On the GM car, struts are covered by the extended warranty. Me, I "assumed" that a strut is a wear item, and not covered. In the verbiage of the extended warranty, struts are clearly covered.

So was I misled to believe they were not covered? No, I assumed they would be not covered because they are a wear item, like brake padsd.

So if a warranty spells out that if a radiator hose burst, and the engine overheats, the engine is not covered, that is not misleading. That's spelling out what is covered, and what is not. Now if a radiator hose bursts under the full factory b2b warranty, and the engine overheats, it's covered. Again my point of view is that if something is in the terms, and a person chooses not to read it, it's not misleading.

What is misleading? I bought a product on amazon from one of their top sellers. Their products say they have a "no questions asked" warranty. Come to find not true at all. Gave me a hard time. So I gave the product 1 star and suddenly they contacted me to resolve. Now, they started sending me free products as if I were a YouTube star. Fine, how about that 10' gen3 Mfi lightning cable, ok. After I got the free products they asked me to revise my review. This opened my eyes up to how amazon's process is flawed, not only are there reviewers who got free products and gave 5 stars, there are reviewers who upped their reviews after the fact, when bullied by the seller.
Old 02-14-19, 06:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
I don't get how your own personal misunderstanding/assumption is the fault of Hyundai.
Nice way to join in late and pretend you knew that the radio and navigation system was not covered by Hyundai in-complete comprehensive limited warranty 👍. So carry on and make it personal. I dont think there is any other warranty by any manufacturer that excludes the radio or nav during the regular warranty.
Old 02-14-19, 08:14 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice way to join in late and pretend you knew that the radio and navigation system was not covered by Hyundai in-complete comprehensive limited warranty 👍. So carry on and make it personal. I dont think there is any other warranty by any manufacturer that excludes the radio or nav during the regular warranty.
Now who is misleading? Your own post #4 establishes that Hyundai abandoned the shorter radio/nav warranty in 2016. So any current buyer, such as yourself, making the "assumption" (and we know what happens when you assume) that the nav/radio warranty is 5/60 is correct.
Old 02-14-19, 08:17 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Now who is misleading? Your own post #4 establishes that Hyundai abandoned the shorter radio/nav warranty in 2016. So any current buyer, such as yourself, making the "assumption" (and we know what happens when you assume) that the nav/radio warranty is 5/60 is correct.
No. it’s also excluded from new models. You have to go into a new model manual. I posted that mid way through the thread.

So, to me it is meleading. Especially while on a test drive the salesperson says, some things are not included, he thinks it’s electircal but it is not sure, so I check. To you it’s not misleading, I am ok with that. Would you like to join me and move on?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-14-19 at 08:28 AM.