Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Sequoia TRD Pro

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-19, 12:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Its just PR marketing speak. Does not mean the Sequoia is not rated for 25 years.
If that were true and it was PR marketing speak it would make sense to extol the fact that all their BOF SUVs are rated for 25 year lifespans.
Old 02-12-19, 06:14 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
If that were true and it was PR marketing speak it would make sense to extol the fact that all their BOF SUVs are rated for 25 year lifespans.
How else are they going to justify charging you $85k for a smaller vehicle. That said, I dont believe it is just PR.
Old 02-13-19, 06:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
How else are they going to justify charging you $85k for a smaller vehicle. That said, I dont believe it is just PR.
I believe all of the Toyota BOF models are 25 or longer.
Old 02-14-19, 07:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

They don't try and do that. There is zero marketing push to sell the Land Cruiser here in America. Zero. They literally just sell them to people who see the benefit and want them. When have you ever seen a Land Cruiser ad in the last 10 years?

If you're worried about the Land Cruiser being smaller, you aren't the target buyer. If you understand what makes a Land Cruiser special, the fact that its smaller is a benefit
Old 02-14-19, 10:21 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS
They don't try and do that. There is zero marketing push to sell the Land Cruiser here in America. Zero. They literally just sell them to people who see the benefit and want them. When have you ever seen a Land Cruiser ad in the last 10 years?

If you're worried about the Land Cruiser being smaller, you aren't the target buyer. If you understand what makes a Land Cruiser special, the fact that its smaller is a benefit
Correct they dont do that and they dont really advertise the Land Cruiser. In no ways am I worried about the LC being smaller, and as a matter of fact I actually own a smaller vehicle, a 2018 GX. And yes being smaller makes it more maneuverable off road, but that wasn't my point. My point was part of the mystique that makes the LC great is its perceived and real world durability and longevity, hence the higher price tag vs larger vehicles like the Sequoia where you get more room and value for the money that's also built on a similar truck frame.
Old 02-14-19, 10:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Correct they dont do that and they dont really advertise the Land Cruiser. In no ways am I worried about the LC being smaller, and as a matter of fact I actually own a smaller vehicle, a 2018 GX. And yes being smaller makes it more maneuverable off road, but that wasn't my point. My point was part of the mystique that makes the LC great is its perceived and real world durability and longevity, hence the higher price tag vs larger vehicles like the Sequoia where you get more room and value for the money that's also built on a similar truck frame.

The higher price tag for the LC is not because they last longer. There are cheap LCs in different parts of the world. They come with the same 4.0 as my mothers 4Runner, same 4.6 as the base Tundra and the 5.7 as well. The Sequoia is cheaper because Toyota wants to it be. Toyota does not market the LC in the US because they want the Sequoia to succeed. The Sequoia is a fine vehicle, so is the LC.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-14-19 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-14-19, 12:56 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/why-t...ive-1715003811

LC/LX is smaller because it is actually made for off roading. Go ahead and try to take something bigger like a suburban off road. It will not fare as well. There is a reason one is called Suburban and the other is called Land Cruiser

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 02-14-19 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-14-19, 01:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen

LC/LX is smaller because it is actually made for off roading. Go ahead and try to take something bigger like a suburban off road.
Seeing how neither the Sequoia nor the Land Cruiser have a locking differential, you now need to rely on vehicle dimensions to determine which model is better off-road. Looking a ground clearance, the Sequoia has a higher ground clearance and throw in the height control on the Sequoia, it seems to me the Land Cruiser cannot go as far. This new Pro Sequoia has far, far, far superior off-road tires than what comes stock withe more expensive Land Cruiser. Whatever!

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-14-19 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-14-19, 05:32 PM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

The higher price tag for the LC is not because they last longer. There are cheap LCs in different parts of the world. They come with the same 4.0 as my mothers 4Runner, same 4.6 as the base Tundra and the 5.7 as well. The Sequoia is cheaper because Toyota wants to it be. Toyota does not market the LC in the US because they want the Sequoia to succeed. The Sequoia is a fine vehicle, so is the LC.
Well how much does a comparably equipped competitor cost in those other countries? Sure the U.S. version is more luxury mall crawler than desert dweller with leather and wood and all the niceties so it is not really comparable to other countries