Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CPO Luxury or New Mainstream

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-19, 01:52 PM
tin369
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO Luxury or New Mainstream

I am not sure if you guys get into analysis paralysis when its time to buy a new car. I have a q7 and a rav4 v6. I want to add another car which will eventually replace the rav4. I am drawn to new tech, and I don't like the harsh rides. I am more in favor of a SUv than a sedan and I feel the sitting position is more comfortable for me in a sedan.

If I go and build a an Accord or new Rav4 its close to $35-$40k, my immediate thought is I could get a CPO luxury car maybe the GS fsport or something elese for that much and I go on in this endless state of indecision.
I do like the ride and the quality of my Q7, but not the price, I thought about the RX350, but I drove it a couple years ago and it felt heavy and sluggish.
What would you guys suggest?
Old 01-31-19, 02:33 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Currently in CUVs
Want New Tech, SUVs favored, hate harsh ride, and like the relax feel of the sedan.

Pick up a RAV4 and move on with it. It`ll satisfy the tech SUV position, and its a RAV 4 so your familiar to what its offering. Drive an F sport, and see if the ride is for you, but from your own requirements I`d say your leaning towards a new RAV

if you plan on holding on to it, then new car is always better then a CPO vehicle. (personally never saw any value buying a CPO car).
Old 01-31-19, 02:39 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

The NX is supposed to be the RAV4 equivalent as far as I know. I've driven it a couple of times as a loaner during service and I really enjoyed it. Might be worth checking out if you want a luxury SUV with the RX being too heavy for you.
Old 01-31-19, 02:54 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by pngo
The NX is supposed to be the RAV4 equivalent as far as I know. I've driven it a couple of times as a loaner during service and I really enjoyed it. Might be worth checking out if you want a luxury SUV with the RX being too heavy for you.
I`d go back to back with the NX and Rav4. The platform in the RAV will be newer based on the Toyota next gen, vs the last gen Rav4 platform in the current NX.
Old 01-31-19, 02:56 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I`d go back to back with the NX and Rav4. The platform in the RAV will be newer based on the Toyota next gen, vs the last gen Rav4 platform in the current NX.
True. I'm not sure how the RAV4 compares to the NX in comfort. Is a top-trim RAV4 comparable in interior style, seating, cabin noise, handling, etc?
Old 01-31-19, 05:09 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tin369
I am not sure if you guys get into analysis paralysis when its time to buy a new car. I have a q7 and a rav4 v6. I want to add another car which will eventually replace the rav4. I am drawn to new tech, and I don't like the harsh rides. I am more in favor of a SUv than a sedan and I feel the sitting position is more comfortable for me in a sedan.

If I go and build a an Accord or new Rav4 its close to $35-$40k, my immediate thought is I could get a CPO luxury car maybe the GS fsport or something elese for that much and I go on in this endless state of indecision.
I do like the ride and the quality of my Q7, but not the price, I thought about the RX350, but I drove it a couple years ago and it felt heavy and sluggish.
$35-40k with those preferences? I'd get a new Mazda CX-5 Signature. But the new RAV4 is pretty nice too.
Old 01-31-19, 05:19 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It's definitely a busy sector, especially right in the mid to upper 30K range where seemingly everything is in play. CPO luxury, you're potentially going to paying more in maintenance costs, and more larger maintenance needs looming faster (like brakes, etc). Guess it depends what your tolerances on that are, and then what you prioritize overall.

We have an Odyssey for family duties, and my wife has her 2015 C300. We were looking to replace the C300 at some point, and similar to you, keep going back and forth between something like a CPO Q5/Q7/Macan/Cayenne or potentially new like the Kia Sorento SX-L even the new Hyundai Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T, possibly the new CX-5 with the turbo, but that's getting a little smaller than we'd like.
Old 01-31-19, 05:23 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Go get a certified used land cruiser or LX
Old 01-31-19, 05:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by tin369

I would go new car or CUV over all else. I would rather have the new design (most important thing) and then new tech, and finally new features over something that is used and from yesteryear.
Old 01-31-19, 08:28 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just remember a $35K luxury CPO will be a good amount costlier than a $35K new car to own. The CX-5 has been mentioned and definitely should be considered if looking at CUVs. Mazda's are nearly luxury cars at mainstream prices.
​​​​
​​​​​
​​​​
​​​​​

​​​​

​​
Old 02-01-19, 05:40 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber

if you plan on holding on to it, then new car is always better then a CPO vehicle. (personally never saw any value buying a CPO car).
I agree. Having paid for extended warranties on both a GM and a BMW, which essentially makes them into CPOs, they are clearly not worth it. Either vehicle, say a radiator hose bursts and the engine overheats and sustains catastrophic damage--CPO does not cover it, because the cause was the hose. Ask people who own Nissan Rogues (not sure what year). But, interestingly, American extended warranties cover a lot that the Germans do not, like a strut (this is a wear item)? Or a seat? But no matter what the scenario, unless you're Doug Demuro and like to brag about how unreliable your car is and that you have an extended warranty (normally this shows you purchased the wrong vehicle), skip the CPO....
Old 02-01-19, 05:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

What about a new acura rdx? Seen a couple on the road... sharp!
Old 02-01-19, 05:52 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

OP, it all depends on what you value the most. It will come down to whether you value build quality/brand-image vs tech.
Old 02-01-19, 08:42 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I would also suggest a 2019 CX-5 in GT Reserve or Signature trim. You get a lot for the money, and the engine/turbo appears to be quite reliable with no major issues reported since it's debut in 2016.

Personally, if I had to choose between a CPO luxury sedan or a new CUV, I'd go with the new CUV (just because of the easier cargo access and bit of extra room). The new CX-5 has ample power, great handling, very nice interior and good safety tech. The downsides are mileage and so-so HVAC performance (as reported by some owners). Bonus, if you're after even better handling, Eibach offers Pro-Kit lowering springs that will improve stance and handling even further.
Old 02-01-19, 09:46 AM
Coolchuck
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

I say go for the NEW RAV4 or other SUV/CUV in that price range since it will satisfy your desire for the newest tech and you favor SUVs more.

Quick Reply: CPO Luxury or New Mainstream