Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ successor may be canceled?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-19, 04:47 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs down Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ successor may be canceled?

Four-cylinder Supra and electric MR2 could take its place at Toyota

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/29/toyota-86-and-subaru-brz-successor-canceled/?=edlinkusauto00000021&yptr=yahoo

Wow very sad news - more cost cutting by Toyota!
At least they helped produce the twins unlike new Supra.

This actually makes me reconsider getting rid of mine lol
Old 01-29-19, 05:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Wow very sad news - more cost cutting by Toyota!

Yes....they just got done announcing the end of the American-market Yaris hatchback. And that comes on top of Ford and GM (apparantly) abandoning the sedan business.

The whole auto business in the American market is going absolutely nuts. I haven't seen anything like it since the 1970s, another period when everything went topsy-turvy.
Old 01-29-19, 05:00 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Hang onto it, i want one of these as my hobby car in a year or so.
Old 01-29-19, 05:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I honestly am not sad to see it go. It was a nice run like kinda like the FJ Cruiser. A new one would sell poorly
Old 01-29-19, 06:11 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I honestly am not sad to see it go. It was a nice run like kinda like the FJ Cruiser. A new one would sell poorly
It‘s not always about just sales volume.
All they need to do is put the engine from the WRX into the new Car with some new tech in the interior. Evolutionary exterior styling design and boom you got a new gen car with little investment. Handling, Steering, Brakes are all good and don’t need to be changed or re-engineered.

Toyota always does this. This car finally started to get traction, aftermarket support is strong, ppl around the world recognize it as a fun driver‘s car etc. And now Toyota wants to kill it.

Makes no sense....spend all this $$$$$ on R&D, Marketing, build enthusiast following and younger buyer demographic all to just blow it up because of bean counters.
Old 01-29-19, 06:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

All they need to do is put the engine from the WRX into the new Car with some new tech in the interior. Evolutionary exterior styling design and boom you got a new gen car with little investment. Handling, Steering, Brakes are all good and don’t need to be changed or re-engineered.

Toyota always does this. This car finally started to get traction, aftermarket support is strong, ppl around the world recognize it as a fun driver‘s car etc. And now Toyota wants to kill it.

Makes no sense....spend all this $$$$$ on R&D, Marketing, build enthusiast following and younger buyer demographic all to just blow it up because of bean counters.
I don't disagree with what you are saying however: a new Supra is now available with a 2.0l in some markets, a recession will be coming in the next 2-5 years, and Toyota really does car about volumes.

Old 01-29-19, 06:31 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 233 Likes on 176 Posts

Eiji never would've approved of this... or the "new supra" for that matter
Old 01-29-19, 06:33 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

The 86 was the supra market tester. Would people care for a sporty Toyota. They did to a degree, but most clamor for what was is the most common complaint in the performance sphere is power. They never got around to giving it the power, as the Toyota knows best. To a degree that might be right, Toyota has been giving it just enough to make it worth it.

Look at the RCF Track edition....we saw soo many blogs talk about SOO MUCH POWER inbound, MORE THEN ANYTHING LEXUS, SINCE THE LFA...was a meager 5 hp i believe, this made it withing spitting distance of an M4 comp pack 3.8 vs 3.9.Just enough
Old 01-29-19, 06:50 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL, and some people in the Supra thread are moaning that Toyota didn't contribute much to the new Supra. Like I was saying, be happy about the new Supra on its own merit, and forget Toyota, they do not have the heart to make anything exciting anymore. I don't even get disappointed by Toyota anymore, I just don't care.
Old 01-29-19, 06:54 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 233 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
LOL, and some people in the Supra thread are moaning that Toyota didn't contribute much to the new Supra. Like I was saying, be happy about the new Supra on its own merit, and forget Toyota, they do not have the heart to make anything exciting anymore. I don't even get disappointed by Toyota anymore, I just don't care.
i'm kind of forced to agree with your bleak outlook here, but i will not be happy about the "new supra", and will also insist on continuing to use quotes around it
Old 01-29-19, 06:58 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i'm kind of forced to agree with your bleak outlook here, but i will not be happy about the "new supra", and will also insist on continuing to use quotes around it
Just call it what it is, a Supra by BMW or the Supra or The Supra From the Zentrum LOL
Old 01-29-19, 07:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Exactly. Couldn't agree more. Bean counters are ruining the industry as we knew it.
Old 01-29-19, 10:04 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Would have been nice if they at least did one more generation before killing it, the engine is what really needed updating. I still can't believe they chose to put a 4 cylinder that can only make around 200hp or so, 4cylinders have been making 200hp pretty easily for over 30 years.
Old 01-30-19, 07:36 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 414 Likes on 342 Posts

This is pretty disappointing but that’s Toyota for you. I figured Subaru would want to keep it around.
Old 01-30-19, 08:11 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,604 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Could very well happen, but it is just a rumor at this point. Earlier this month Tada was quoted talking about the 86 in relation to the Supra.

"I don't want to sound too business-y, but I also need to support the 86. Looking at the role of the 86 and the role of the Supra, I want to differentiate, make sure they each have their own identity," he said.
Seems odd to bring that up if the 86 future is a dead end.

Source

Quick Reply: Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ successor may be canceled?