Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Elon Musk defends his private jet.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-19, 06:36 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like the WaPo wanted to sting Elon with a piece about his conspicuous consumption. You gotta laugh at the "thousands of pounds of fuel" per hour the reporter cites, making it sound like a really, really big number. The general public doesn't measure fuel consumption in lbs/hr. Only pilots etc. do that. It's still a sizeable number: 450 gallons/hr for that 650ER which Musk travels in - or 2700 lbs/hr. But "thousands" of pounds makes it sound huge.

The other thing that's interesting about the article is that apparently Musk bad/Bezos good. Because Bezos made 100 fewer flights than Musk. Now does the reader of the article know that Jeff Bezos owns the WaPo and its reporters ***** lock, stock and barrel? Or that Amazon ships tons and tons of goods night and day on air cargo flights?

It's true that celebrities, billionaires or politicians tend to look at the world in a different way and don't measure themselves with the same yardstick that we regular people might. That said, you don't expect Barack and Michelle to travel coach or even first class do you? Any number of power players in Hollywood fly on "studio jets"; A-listers, producers, directors and studio heads. No mention of their travels.

Gotta wonder what prompted this sudden interest in Musk's travel habits from the WaPo? Does this paper track Leonardo DiCaprio's travels on his private jet or his private yacht, or how much of a carbon footprint he has? It's a flawed article because it takes aim at Musk vs generally going after any number of high and fast flyers out there.

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Seems like the most zealous pushers of climate change are the ones that pollute the most. In Canada we have David Suzuki the biggest hypocrite you'll ever find.
Talk radio is really, really bad for its listners, it rots their minds from the inside out and makes them spout things like this.

Old 01-31-19, 12:45 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
I don't think Musk has said anything like this he's saying long term sustainability means transitioning away from finite resources.
I know what you mean, but if it turns out a resource is not that finite (hundreds of years) then what he says doesn't objectively represent reality. But I think that's probably what he believes, and of course he wants to sell his EVs.

As for Talk Radio, I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. Me, I wouldn't line my birdcage with the NYT. My next-door neighbor is a avid reader. We're good friends. Go figure.
Old 01-31-19, 02:01 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Originally Posted by riredale
I know what you mean, but if it turns out a resource is not that finite (hundreds of years) then what he says doesn't objectively represent reality.
Of course it does finite is finite regardless if that supply is 10 years or 400 years. You think it would be better to sit around and do nothing hoping that sustainable transport magically becomes reality?

Old 01-31-19, 02:28 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,509 Likes on 1,806 Posts

I think the real question here - which I am surprised no one has mentioned yet - is fiduciary responsibility.

Musk is worth more than $20 billion, but his companies have footed the bills for the jet’s fuel, maintenance, crew and other expenses.
This is the issue, right here. If the trips are business-related, that's fine. Otherwise, I think it gets into a gray area.

That being said this article is being written in a shady way. If you read on, you find this:

The company said Tesla does not cover the costs for Musk’s personal trips and that Musk, SpaceX and Tesla review the flights and agree on who pays for each trip. The company declined to offer an estimate for Musk’s flight costs last year, when data show the jet’s air travel increased. Tesla said it also covered the business expenses of a second aircraft owned by Musk, paying another $46,000 in 2017.
So, there's a caveat to this whole issue - it may be overblown if Musk is being responsible with company funds.
Old 01-31-19, 03:08 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Looking at something like a private jet from a financial/accounting perspective will almost never make sense. But from a time-saving perspective, you can't put a price on it. Most billionaire's have a busier schedule than the POTUS. Imagine having to keep that schedule AND fly commercial? It would be impossible.
Old 01-31-19, 04:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Most billionaire's have a busier schedule than the POTUS. Imagine having to keep that schedule AND fly commercial? It would be impossible.
Not quite. Many airlines have aircraft that they charter on special request. The Pope, for example, uses chartered Alitalia flights for most of his trips abroad.
Old 02-01-19, 12:50 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

The private jet thing is partly ego, I would guess but for many it's mostly about cost.

There are a great many folks who make $1,000,000 a year or over. That represents $500 an hour if one goes by the traditional work week. Private jets mean you fly by your own schedule, with very little downtime.

My lawyer sister billed out her time at about $1,000 an hour. She tracked her time in 10-minute increments. Seriously, flying commercially?