Notices
Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Doc Fees

 
Old 01-09-19, 09:38 PM
  #1  
dcem3043
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: GA
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Dealer Doc Fees

I live in Georgia, found a 2017 IS350 Sport 17k miles I'm interested in purchasing. Its located at a dealer in California called STG auto. The asking price is 34,328 however when I got the fee breakdown from the sales rep it seemed like there are a lot of additional costs in there so wanted to get your guy's thoughts on whether these fees look normal or if too high? I live in Atlanta, Georgia and so would paying shipping and sales tax separately (not included in the breakdown below)
Asking Price: 34,328
Doc Prep: $80
Smog Fee Seller: $50
License: $229
Registration: $324
Smog Certificate: $8.25
Other Fees: $27
GPS Tracking Anti-theft System: $995
Tint Windows: $495
Total $36,536
Total with optional 4 yr warranty package: $39,535

The GPS tracking system and window tint were not listed anywhere in the vehicle description on the listing. When I spoke with the dealer sales rep he made it sound like these were required installations, which I thought sounded odd. Anything here look unusual?




dcem3043 is offline  
Old 01-09-19, 09:55 PM
  #2  
mnewxcv
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 388
Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Default

ask the dealer. If they can't explain what the fees are and whether or not they are optional and why, buy a car somewhere else. Can't think of a reason why a $1,000 anti theft system fee would not be optional, though it may be part of their own 'insurance' on a vehicle that has a lein on it, in case of repossession.
mnewxcv is offline  
Old 01-09-19, 10:03 PM
  #3  
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic
 
mmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Virginia/D.C. suburbs
Posts: 73,610
Liked 66 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Welcome to CL.

The GPS tracking system and window tint were not listed anywhere in the vehicle description on the listing. When I spoke with the dealer sales rep he made it sound like these were required installations, which I thought sounded odd. Anything here look unusual?
Is it a conventional GPS/NAV system, GPS vehicle-tracking, or LoJack? If LoJack, that is a aftermarket tracking system which allows police to track (and find) your car if it is stolen, and which is added, per owner-request, to a number of new vehicles today. For general GPS-tracking just for tracking-sake, though, that violates privacy-laws in many states, and is illegal to add to a vehicle unless ordered by a court for a previous driving-offense. I take it that you have a clean record, and have not been convicted of anything serious....so I don't know why they would add a GPS tracker per se.
mmarshall is offline  
Old 01-10-19, 12:33 AM
  #4  
Fizzboy7
Lexus Fanatic
 
Fizzboy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California
Posts: 8,124
Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default

If it has a stock nav system, wouldn't that include it's own tracking system? If so, there would be no need for another one.
Overall, I don't like all the added on junk. You can do window tinting for less, and you absolutely do not need any sort of extra warranty on a late model Lexus. I'd also be curious how this dealer got ahold of such a car. Usually they stay in the hands of new car or Lexus dealers. Be sure to ask about the history of it.
Fizzboy7 is offline  
Old 01-10-19, 06:51 AM
  #5  
dcem3043
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: GA
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
Welcome to CL.



Is it a conventional GPS/NAV system, GPS vehicle-tracking, or LoJack? If LoJack, that is a aftermarket tracking system which allows police to track (and find) your car if it is stolen, and which is added, per owner-request, to a number of new vehicles today. For general GPS-tracking just for tracking-sake, though, that violates privacy-laws in many states, and is illegal to add to a vehicle unless ordered by a court for a previous driving-offense. I take it that you have a clean record, and have not been convicted of anything serious....so I don't know why they would add a GPS tracker per se.
Thanks for the responses. The way it was explained to me is that it is a GPS tracking system for antitheft purposes. I didnt request to have it installed nor was it listed in the vehicle listing decription. Sounds like they're trying to upsell me something there.
dcem3043 is offline  
Old 01-10-19, 08:06 AM
  #6  
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: PA
Posts: 6,767
Liked 217 Times in 205 Posts
Default

My dad always tells the dealer to remove those bogus fees.

Asking Price: 34,328
Doc Prep: $0
Smog Fee Seller: $0
License: $0
Registration: $0
Smog Certificate: $0
Other Fees: $0
GPS Tracking Anti-theft System: $0
Tint Windows: $0
Total $34,328

Did it work with Honda? No. For me, it worked with BMW, and his last car was a Buick. What he does is he says he will get the tags himself, maybe next week when he has time. The dealer wants the car gone now. So they register it. Thing is, my dad is serious, it's not a bluff. He is willing to do the DMV himself to avoid upcharges.

When I bought the Lexus used from a new car dealer, they charged me around $270 for the registration. BUT, the amount that was over the actual amount, was returned to me by check, by NYS law. In this case, since the dealer was 2.5 hrs away it would have been very inconvenient for me to go back to PA with the title then return with a plate. And when I say "actual amount," the auto tag place charged around $40 plus $12 for FedEx. So I could have saved maybe $52 or so in reality.
Johnhav430 is offline  
Old 01-10-19, 08:46 AM
  #7  
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
iTrader: (20)
 
bitkahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Present
Posts: 55,323
Liked 64 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7 View Post
If it has a stock nav system, wouldn't that include it's own tracking system? If so, there would be no need for another one.
no, a nav system only receives satellite info. an anti-theft system must be capable of transmitting.

bitkahuna is offline  
Old 01-10-19, 08:48 AM
  #8  
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
iTrader: (20)
 
bitkahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Present
Posts: 55,323
Liked 64 Times in 55 Posts
Default

comments below.

Originally Posted by dcem3043 View Post
I live in Georgia, found a 2017 IS350 Sport 17k miles I'm interested in purchasing. Its located at a dealer in California called STG auto. The asking price is 34,328 however when I got the fee breakdown from the sales rep it seemed like there are a lot of additional costs in there so wanted to get your guy's thoughts on whether these fees look normal or if too high? I live in Atlanta, Georgia and so would paying shipping and sales tax separately (not included in the breakdown below)
Asking Price: 34,328
Doc Prep: $80 - um no
Smog Fee Seller: $50 - don't think so if it's coming to GA?
License: $229 - huh?
Registration: $324 - no if it's coming to GA
Smog Certificate: $8.25 - no if it's coming to GA
Other Fees: $27 - um no
GPS Tracking Anti-theft System: $995 - hell no
Tint Windows: $495 - seems high and if not already on the car, then just no
Total $36,536 - you're dreaming, right?
Total with optional 4 yr warranty package: $39,535 - HELL to the no. that's also probably 4 years from new, i.e., "extending" to 4 years, not 4 more years.
bitkahuna is offline  
Old 01-10-19, 08:55 AM
  #9  
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE
iTrader: (11)
 
plex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: <-IAD->
Posts: 12,904
Liked 48 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Wow seems they just kept adding on fees with your deal. I bought my GS used from a MB dealership. I refused to pay their flat "processing fee" considering car was in VA and I would have to get it registered, inspected etc...in MD. I walked out to my car then they came out running saying they can waive it. I paid cash and finance guy who was being honest for some reason showed me all the "add ons" they usually offer to customers and price including window tint, GPS, tire service all a bunch of BS to be honest that you can get done elsewhere.
plex is offline  
Old 01-10-19, 09:11 AM
  #10  
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
iTrader: (20)
 
bitkahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Present
Posts: 55,323
Liked 64 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by plex View Post
I bought my GS used from a MB dealership. I refused to pay their flat "processing fee" considering car was in VA and I would have to get it registered, inspected etc...in MD. I walked out to my car then they came out running saying they can waive it. I paid cash and finance guy who was being honest for some reason showed me all the "add ons" they usually offer to customers and price including window tint, GPS, tire service all a bunch of BS to be honest that you can get done elsewhere.
a bunch of bs is right... it's disgusting that most dealers standard practice is to try to rip off consumers with all kinds of things they don't need. i know the car business is tough but dealers selling practices richly deserve their foul reputation.
bitkahuna is offline  
Old 01-10-19, 09:45 AM
  #11  
tex2670
Lexus Fanatic
 
tex2670's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Southeastern PA
Posts: 5,710
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Johnhav430 View Post
My dad always tells the dealer to remove those bogus fees.

Asking Price: 34,328
Doc Prep: $0
Smog Fee Seller: $0
License: $0
Registration: $0
Smog Certificate: $0
Other Fees: $0
GPS Tracking Anti-theft System: $0
Tint Windows: $0
Total $34,328

Did it work with Honda? No. For me, it worked with BMW, and his last car was a Buick. What he does is he says he will get the tags himself, maybe next week when he has time. The dealer wants the car gone now. So they register it. Thing is, my dad is serious, it's not a bluff. He is willing to do the DMV himself to avoid upcharges.

When I bought the Lexus used from a new car dealer, they charged me around $270 for the registration. BUT, the amount that was over the actual amount, was returned to me by check, by NYS law. In this case, since the dealer was 2.5 hrs away it would have been very inconvenient for me to go back to PA with the title then return with a plate. And when I say "actual amount," the auto tag place charged around $40 plus $12 for FedEx. So I could have saved maybe $52 or so in reality.
I agree in part, and disagree in part.

I assume, but do not know, that license, registration and smog certificate fees/charges are 3rd party charges the dealer must pay to the state. If so, they are legit. You could ask the dealer to eat them, but it's hard to get them to do that. But--if they mark up those fees, then push back. Ask for a state fee schedule. Also, there are 2 line items for smog; seems fishy.

"Doc prep" is code for pure markup. The dealer's "preparation" is putting your info into the computer, and pressing "PRINT". $80 for that? Nope.

GPS theft tracking? Tint? Just tell them you don't want those features. If they say you must take them, then you tell them you will take them "on the house".

"Other fees"? C'mon now--they have to try a little harder to rip you off, don't they??


tex2670 is offline  
Old 01-10-19, 10:01 AM
  #12  
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: PA
Posts: 6,767
Liked 217 Times in 205 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
I agree in part, and disagree in part.

I assume, but do not know, that license, registration and smog certificate fees/charges are 3rd party charges the dealer must pay to the state. If so, they are legit. You could ask the dealer to eat them, but it's hard to get them to do that. But--if they mark up those fees, then push back. Ask for a state fee schedule. Also, there are 2 line items for smog; seems fishy.

"Doc prep" is code for pure markup. The dealer's "preparation" is putting your info into the computer, and pressing "PRINT". $80 for that? Nope.

GPS theft tracking? Tint? Just tell them you don't want those features. If they say you must take them, then you tell them you will take them "on the house".

"Other fees"? C'mon now--they have to try a little harder to rip you off, don't they??
Everything in life is negotiable. Outcomes are somewhat predictable. Ever look closely at a cell phone bill and say, wait a sec, PA sales tax is 6%, but the amount next to the state sales tax line is 20%? The fine print actually explains and yes, it's a total rip off. But how many cos. do you really have to choose among for a cell phone if you want the best price and best network? 1.5? I did manage to get a iPhone Xs for $249.99 back in Nov. so some of that overpaying by everyone subsidized it. One guy in sales told me that psychologically? People tend to accept fees when a) they are pre-printed, b) they imply govt. involvement..yet a+b are often totally bogus.
Johnhav430 is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: