Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bose QuietComfort noise canceling tunes out road noises

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-19, 05:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,833 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
agree sound quality could be better, but the noise cancellation makes flying so much better it's ok. sony makes a direct competitor and there's others now too.
No doubt...I love mine. Sony's noise cancellation ones also supposed to be good.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-12-19 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-11-19, 06:02 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Digital processing and equalization and noise cancellation are totally different things...
Touché, good point. This guy at work has B&W P9's, asked if I want to try? eeeeeeew we don't share those things as a matter of hygeine! I kinda think it's status, yet at the same time, I have Maui Jim sunglasses, right? Everyone likes what they like.

Serious question because you fellas use these headphones while traveling, you don't mind the size or being so detached in public? Just saying in public I would prefer earbuds to be less conspicuous, but at home, sure.
Old 01-11-19, 06:14 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
agree sound quality could be better, but the noise cancellation makes flying so much better it's ok. sony makes a direct competitor and there's others now too.
Testing the Sony XM3's as I type. Seems to be VERY similar ANC, with better sound quality.
Old 01-11-19, 09:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Touché, good point. This guy at work has B&W P9's, asked if I want to try? eeeeeeew we don't share those things as a matter of hygeine! I kinda think it's status, yet at the same time, I have Maui Jim sunglasses, right? Everyone likes what they like.
Maui Jim makes some of the best quality sunglasses you can buy. I have Maui Jims for that reason, not for "status". Same with the Bose headphones, I own them for their quality and functionality not status.*

Serious question because you fellas use these headphones while traveling, you don't mind the size or being so detached in public? Just saying in public I would prefer earbuds to be less conspicuous, but at home, sure.
Earbuds don't provide anywhere close to the noise isolation or sound quality of big over the ear headphones. Its also a plane, and many people are wearing over the ear headphones, so theres no issue with being conspicuous. As for being detached, again its a plane or train or whatever, that's the point. Would I wear them at the gym? No. Would I walk down the street wearing them? No.
Old 01-11-19, 09:25 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,604 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
Back on topic......the Q400 aircraft that Continental Airlines used to fly I believe had Bose active noise cancellation - I wasn't impressed. Didn't seem too effective IMO....I was like, maybe they didn't turn it on or something?? I later confirmed it was in fact on.
No amount of noise cancellation can make a Q400 quiet.
Old 01-11-19, 02:03 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Bose headphones have long been a gold standard for noise cancellation. They have also had a premium price. I've read that recently their cancellation is not as good as the new Sonys, which are also cheaper.

When I flew a piston single I used not Bose but LightSpeed, and the effect was significant. Low frequencies like prop noise are attenuated a lot, highs like wind rush (and jet noise) not so much.

What IS far superior is to use not headphones or earbuds but "Inner Ear Monitors" or IEMs, especially if they use foam rather than rubber flanges to seal. In fact, IEMs are so good they would be illegal for auto use, because you can't hear anything, including a warning car horn. When I fly commercially I have no issues at all being seated near a crying infant; I hardly hear a thing, and I can play my music at normal levels.

As for tuning out noise, this has been done in turboprop aircraft as a way of minimizing the beating effect. I doubt very much there will be much benefit to tuning the interior of a car, because often if you tune for one specific location then the other locations are made worse.
Old 01-12-19, 10:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,133 Likes on 1,382 Posts

Originally Posted by riredale
What IS far superior is to use not headphones or earbuds but "Inner Ear Monitors" or IEMs, especially if they use foam rather than rubber flanges to seal.
model? brand? links? come on man, don't leave us hanging.

Old 01-12-19, 12:05 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Last edited by bagwell; 01-12-19 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-12-19, 12:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting...
Old 01-12-19, 12:40 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

there's also custom molded IEMs, probably very pricey and usually only pilots gets them.
Old 01-13-19, 06:06 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Sorry, been away from computers for a few days...

I can't remember the model number of my IEMs, but I actually have two different ones, and they were both in the range of $100-150 ten years ago when I bought them. They are both made by Shure, and I recall Etymotic (I think that's how it's spelled) are popular too. The rubber flange ones are pretty straightforward; the foam ones use that kind of foam that takes a "set" for a few seconds. You squish them and quickly insert them. Over the next ten seconds the foam expands back and the background noise just slips away.

The ones I use for air travel are so effective that I use a little Shure dongle in-line with the IEMs, that uses a slide switch to turn on a microphone on the cord, so I can talk to a fellow passenger or the flight attendant without having to pull the IEMs out and reinsert them again. Extreme isolation and also the bass is wonderful because the ear seal is complete.