ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Car Chat (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/)
-   -   Lexus human interface issues and climate control discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/908507-lexus-human-interface-issues-and-climate-control-discussion.html)

Toys4RJill 02-14-19 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by mmarshall (Post 10439818)
In some cases, you're putting the cart before the horse. If auto-systems always did that great a job, people wouldn't have to fiddle with them manually. My experience with climate-control, in almost every vehicle I've owned, is, if I want it done to my satisfaction, do it myself. ;)

I agree. I think there is a place for both. All cars should ha s the option for both.

Toys4RJill 02-14-19 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by SW17LS (Post 10439829)
If that wasn't the case, cars wouldn't have automatic climate systems, they would have manual controls..

Auto is there for EPA reasons as well.

SW17LS 02-14-19 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill (Post 10439830)
I agree. I think there is a place for both. All cars should ha s the option for both.

And they do have the option for both, they just prioritize the use in the way the majority of their customers use the system.

Its not reasonable to expect a carmaker to design multiple prioritized control systems for the same function.

mmarshall 02-14-19 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by SW17LS (Post 10439829)
Carmakers respond to customer demands. Great example of this is touchscreens. Carmakers went away from touchscreens, and buyers complained and you're seeing the industry respond to that by bringing them back.

Not sure I totally agree with that. Jill has a point...touchscreens are simply cheaper to produce and install in the dash. They require fewer hookups and wiring, because much of that is in the electronics and processors in the screen itself. But they tend to be unreliable, sometimes difficult to use on a bumpy road, and often require multiple-navigation through menus to do what should be very simple things, like set a clock. IMO, the early versions of the BMW I-Drives and Audi MMIs were the worst, but many others, especially in Toyotas, are no piece of cake either, particularly for older drivers.

Toys4RJill 02-14-19 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by SW17LS (Post 10439834)
And they do have the option for both, they just prioritize the use in the way the majority of their customers use the system.

Its not reasonable to expect a carmaker to design multiple prioritized control systems for the same function.

They do have both. But some Lexus models are more difficult or use than others, IS vs LS500. Missing direction buttons, and AC buttons. ES missing just AC.

SW17LS 02-14-19 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by mmarshall (Post 10439838)
Not sure I totally agree with that. Jill has a point...touchscreens are simply cheaper to produce and install in the dash. They require fewer hookups and wiring, because much of that is in the electronics and processors in the screen itself. But they tend to be unreliable, sometimes difficult to use on a bumpy road, and often require multiple-navigation through menus to do what should be very simple things, like set a clock. IMO, the early versions of the BMW I-Drives and Audi MMIs were the worst, but many others, especially in Toyotas, are no piece of cake either, particularly for older drivers.

Then why did the industry abandon touchscreens and then move back to touchscreens?

And BTW, BMW's iDrive and Audis MMI are examples of vehicles without touchscreens, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill (Post 10439839)
They do have both. But some Lexus models are more difficult or use than others, IS vs LS500. Missing direction buttons, and AC buttons. ES missing just AC.

Design choices that they make for the targeted consumer for those vehicles and you should adjust your purchase decision accordingly. ES is aimed at the nameplate's oldest demographic, so it makes sense it would have more redundant controls.

And by the way, in the Lexus system you can very easily choose to have all the A/C buttons you want always ready to go on the screen.

Toys4RJill 02-14-19 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by SW17LS (Post 10439854)
Then why did the industry abandon touchscreens and then move back to touchscreens?

And BTW, BMW's iDrive and Audis MMI are examples of vehicles without touchscreens, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Design choices that they make for the targeted consumer for those vehicles and you should adjust your purchase decision accordingly. ES is aimed at the nameplate's oldest demographic, so it makes sense it would have more redundant controls.

And by the way, in the Lexus system you can very easily choose to have all the A/C buttons you want always ready to go on the screen.

You really defend remote touch. I get that. Nothing wrong with that. Would love to hear what you think are three main things you do not like about it?

mmarshall 02-14-19 11:26 AM

OK, I was talking about screens in general. Technically, no, they weren't touchscreens....but their technology led to touchscreens.

SW17LS 02-14-19 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by mmarshall (Post 10440041)
OK, I was talking about screens in general. Technically, no, they weren't touchscreens....but their technology led to touchscreens.

Actually no. Touchscreens were around BEFORE those technologies existed. BMW went from touchscreens to iDrive, and now they've gone back again. Lexus went from touchscreens to Remote touch, and will go back again I'm sure.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill (Post 10439862)
You really defend remote touch. I get that. Nothing wrong with that. Would love to hear what you think are three main things you do not like about it?

I wouldn't say I love remote touch at all, having used it for years I just don't think its this total disaster everybody makes it out to be. Its really not a big deal. Its basically the same system Lexus has always used it just uses a mouse cursor instead of your finger. Three main things I don't like about it? Its slow to type in addresses, it does overshoot buttons you want, although turning up the feedback force helps a lot with that. Can't really think of a third thing. It's fine.

bitkahuna 02-14-19 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill (Post 10438720)
Some people like to use the A/C in a manual mode. For example, if the outside temp is 50F, I could easy drive part of my trip with just the vent and air flow open, while every once in a while cycle in the A/C.

why would you want to do that?

to save money? (in theory)
you don't like dehumidified air much?
you like playing with controls? :p

Just becomes much more difficult and annoying if there is no dedicated A/C button. Luxury should be ease of use.
luxury usually means stuff is done for you. you don't have to think about it. i LOVE that my wipers, lights, headlights, climate, seat position, is all auto everything. i don't have to think about it.

do you manually pair your phone with bluetooth every time you get in? no, because it's not convenient even if it's easy to do.

bitkahuna 02-14-19 03:39 PM

because the technology got better, screens got cheaper, bigger, and better, processors are faster to process the touch input, etc., etc. the 2000 lexus gs400 i had, had the nav with the apple watch sized screen :D it was AWESOME for its time (best of the best i think), but now it looks flat ridiculous.

there's no one size fits all because vehicles are different sizes, shapes, costs, etc. plus they experiment to see what's a hit with consumers, sometimes losing (early idrive :p), sometimes winning (tesla, later idrive, etc.)

Toys4RJill 02-14-19 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by mmarshall (Post 10439838)
They require fewer hookups and wiring, because much of that is in the electronics and processors in the screen itself.

There are significant cost savings by putting many controls in a screen with either a touch screen or by use of remote touch.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna (Post 10440275)

do you manually pair your phone with bluetooth every time you get in? no, because it's not convenient even if it's easy to do.

An A/C button and a phone bluetooth are totally different. How about have the answer the phone button buried in three menus of remote touch to answer the phone? No steering wheel controls, to change the head rests or heated seats, you need to go into the remote touch, so why not the phone button?. You don't let the car AUTO answer your phone do you? Or even better, put the sunroof controls, the trunk release in their as well. I think Tesla does this.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna (Post 10440275)
why would you want to do that?

to save money? (in theory)
you don't like dehumidified air much?
you like playing with controls? :p

Just like having cool fresh air come into the car. Especially when the air is naturally cool and crisp. I don't like the fan in any of my vehicles going off and in any way they like. I really don't see how people on here cannot see that. Your car has two separate AUTO side, two separate fans, two separate vent controls, and an AC, why would you not want that?

Originally Posted by arentz07 (Post 10439816)
Topical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzNSZDNqnjM

Kinda goes into why decision like nixing the AC button happen. You have to sell to the buying public - or at least, appeal to the majority of consumers who buy a vehicle.

I guess there would be very little criticism of the Lexus remote touch if there were more redundant controls. Was reading that heated seats, head rest controls, HVAC flow, AC button are all remote touch operated in the new LS500. Strange IMO to add all of those in there.

SW17LS 12-03-19 07:09 PM

Had a Nissan Altima as a rental today while my LS was in my independent mechanic for the 35k service, no auto climate control. What a PITA, always fiddling with it, always either burning up or freezing cold...

bitkahuna 12-03-19 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by SW17LS (Post 10673332)
Had a Nissan Altima as a rental today while my LS was in my independent mechanic for the 35k service, no auto climate control. What a PITA, always fiddling with it, always either burning up or freezing cold...

for some that's perfect. :D

unusually cold in FL tonight... i remote started the car from the office... when i went out, since the climate control was already set at usual temp, car knew to warm up nicely. Got in, turned on seat warmers and heated steering wheel and proceeded home. Never touched the climate control. :woot:

SW17LS 12-03-19 08:09 PM

I love that too, mine even turns on the seat heaters and heated steering wheel too...