Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback recalled to replace the CVT

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-18, 09:12 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least Toyota is willing to recall it and replace it. There's a lot of car manufacturers out there who will rather turn a blind eye.
Old 12-25-18, 09:58 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

If toyota is acknowledging a problem with their powertrain, the issue must be severe. Toyota like any other company is in the business of ignoring any and all complaints just like Ford with their DCTs. I understand and commend Toyotas decision, but I would be foolish to believe that this was Toyota acting on high standards purely, but more so someone pushing their hand to issue a recall ASAP.
Old 12-25-18, 11:21 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 884 Likes on 508 Posts

Good for Toyota - own a mistake and fix it quickly instead of forcing your loyal customers to be stuck with it like many other automakers have done. I for one am all-in favor of this new CVT. Have you seen how quickly it simulates gear shifts when you shift in manual mode? It's like the CVT equivalent of a dual-clutch. Incredibly impressive feat of engineering by Toyota. When you consider the fact that 1 Corolla is sold every 15 seconds (worldwide), 3,400 is nothing. 1.34 million Corollas were sold in 2015 for reference.
Old 12-25-18, 11:24 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 884 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
If toyota is acknowledging a problem with their powertrain, the issue must be severe. Toyota like any other company is in the business of ignoring any and all complaints just like Ford with their DCTs. I understand and commend Toyotas decision, but I would be foolish to believe that this was Toyota acting on high standards purely, but more so someone pushing their hand to issue a recall ASAP.
Have there been problems with Toyota powertrains in the past that went ignored?
Old 12-26-18, 07:13 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by signdetres
Have there been problems with Toyota powertrains in the past that went ignored?
oil burning motors and evap systems in early 2000s come to mind.
Old 12-27-18, 10:48 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 152 Likes on 113 Posts

lol, Toyota issues TSBs are recalls all the time... that is why their reliability ratings are so high, they fix issues early on.
Old 12-27-18, 10:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
That is one reason to go with the UX250h and the proven eCVT vs the UX200 and new DCVT
that seems like heavy over-reaction... we are talking about 3400 units, so it must be issue in first weeks of production.

UX250h powertrain is also brand new. Heck, I bet 6 speed manual is also new...
Old 12-27-18, 11:03 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
that seems like heavy over-reaction... we are talking about 3400 units, so it must be issue in first weeks of production.

UX250h powertrain is also brand new. Heck, I bet 6 speed manual is also new...
The new 2.0 engine perhaps, but the PSD (eCVT) is very venerable.
Old 12-27-18, 11:06 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The new 2.0 engine perhaps, but the PSD (eCVT) is very venerable.
There are changes there just like there are changes in the new CVT... They had plenty of recalls with HSD, and still it is bullet proof in general. So I dont see why new CVT wont be either.
Old 12-27-18, 12:37 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Don't tell Scotty.
Old 12-27-18, 12:40 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Don't tell Scotty.

Old 12-28-18, 10:54 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
lol, Toyota issues TSBs are recalls all the time... that is why their reliability ratings are so high, they fix issues early on.
Their reliability has been high I agree, however i personally think so, as a result of keeping things the same for years. Case in point walk into a 2019 GX460, look at the cruise control stalk. Now jump into a 1999 Camry and look at the same stalk. The vehicles are produced 20 years apart, yet things are the same. The amount of time to learn what doesnt work is super high value.

TSBs are a stop gap fix on certain issues, there are issues like the oil burning or evap that were not fully addressed in certain models. And since a TSB only applies withing warranty, kind of pushed aside.

Old 12-28-18, 12:10 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Their reliability has been high I agree, however i personally think so, as a result of keeping things the same for years. Case in point walk into a 2019 GX460, look at the cruise control stalk. Now jump into a 1999 Camry and look at the same stalk. The vehicles are produced 20 years apart, yet things are the same. The amount of time to learn what doesnt work is super high value.

TSBs are a stop gap fix on certain issues, there are issues like the oil burning or evap that were not fully addressed in certain models. And since a TSB only applies withing warranty, kind of pushed aside.
No matter what the case, resolving problems is imho in everyone's best interests. You don't want to be like GM and have a dirty voltage issue last from the 1990's to 2012, and simply up a bulb to attempt to solve repeated blowing out and burning of sockets.

It's hard to pinpoint exactly what motivates car cos. Toyota, I would think reputation is a major factor. How many times is the word "reliability" used on this forum, being related to Toyota motor? Seems like they got nailed over floor mats, which say BMW could care less about. The factory BMW E92 floor mat gets caught in the clutch, why? Because most cars are autos. Toyota, however, bailed on the Takata problems (maybe there simply would not be enough cars to cover). Honda and BMW were standouts.

BMW provided indefinite loaners over the Takata scandal to every owner who requested one (I had one 4 1/2 mos), and also for a blower motor pigtail for lack of a better word. That one, which took 7/10 of an hour to install, kind of surprised me. I didn't feel I needed a loaner for that, if my blower fails, I don't have heat or a/c. If it catches fire, I evacuate the vehicle, but that's exaggeration imho. Yet they provided loaners for that issue for almost 10 mos.

So as some have said here, nip the issue in the bud right off the bat. It's good for Toyota, it's good for customers.
Old 12-28-18, 03:10 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
No matter what the case, resolving problems is imho in everyone's best interests. You don't want to be like GM and have a dirty voltage issue last from the 1990's to 2012, and simply up a bulb to attempt to solve repeated blowing out and burning of sockets.

It's hard to pinpoint exactly what motivates car cos. Toyota, I would think reputation is a major factor. How many times is the word "reliability" used on this forum, being related to Toyota motor? Seems like they got nailed over floor mats, which say BMW could care less about. The factory BMW E92 floor mat gets caught in the clutch, why? Because most cars are autos. Toyota, however, bailed on the Takata problems (maybe there simply would not be enough cars to cover). Honda and BMW were standouts.

BMW provided indefinite loaners over the Takata scandal to every owner who requested one (I had one 4 1/2 mos), and also for a blower motor pigtail for lack of a better word. That one, which took 7/10 of an hour to install, kind of surprised me. I didn't feel I needed a loaner for that, if my blower fails, I don't have heat or a/c. If it catches fire, I evacuate the vehicle, but that's exaggeration imho. Yet they provided loaners for that issue for almost 10 mos.

So as some have said here, nip the issue in the bud right off the bat. It's good for Toyota, it's good for customers.
+1 as long as they are correcting the issue all well and good.
Old 12-31-18, 09:56 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

A recall is very expensive so it drives the company to do extensive testing beforehand and then to quickly identify and fix issues once the model is released.

The Toyota "sudden acceleration" issue caused damage to the brand name, though if I recall correctly there was NO technical issue. It must have driven senior Japanese management crazy to see the litigious US legal system in action, chasing ghosts.

So you respond quickly to tamp down negative press ASAP.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback recalled to replace the CVT