Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Which Car Should I Buy? Help Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-18, 09:04 AM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Small CUVs were considered chic cars in the past (i.e. Rav4, CRVs) but the demographic is shifting to a more balanced ratio, however, small SUVs/CUVs are for the most part are slow and can't handle as well. Sure there are exceptions but the car counterparts are faaaar better for handling and speed. I believe the OP thinks Mustangs are fun...not many small SUVs that have that type of speed at $45k
Right, that’s what I was trying to get across earlier
Old 12-13-18, 09:13 AM
HurryUpBuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2017 GS 350 F Sport AWD seem to go for a similar amount to 2016 GS F. Is there a big difference in quality with these ones?
Old 12-13-18, 11:17 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by HurryUpBuy
2017 GS 350 F Sport AWD seem to go for a similar amount to 2016 GS F. Is there a big difference in quality with these ones?
GS F has a V8 and is the performance variant.

GS350 has a V6 plus AWD available.

Really depends what you want - GS F would be more fun for sure but also have higher running and maintenance costs.
Old 12-13-18, 11:21 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

I would also look into leasing a 2018 BMW 340i.
They are having really aggressive deals on them as the new model is coming.

Its the perfect sedan in many ways - lots of power, tech, useable rear seats, very fun to drive.
All maintenance is included for 3years.
Old 12-13-18, 12:08 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

My shortlist would be:
StingerGT
GSF/F-Sport AWD (preowned)
Genesis G80 Sport
Genesis G70
Old 12-13-18, 02:08 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Small CUVs were are considered chic cars in the past (i.e. Rav4, CRVs) but the demographic is shifting to a more balanced ratio, however, small SUVs/CUVs are for the most part are slow and can't handle as well. Sure there are exceptions but the car counterparts are faaaar better for handling and speed. I believe the OP thinks Mustangs are fun...not many small SUVs that have that type of speed at $45k
Compact SUVs, like the RAV4, CR-V, Rogue and Escape, are still considered chic cars. Other than pickup trucks, they are the best-sellers in North America.
Old 12-13-18, 02:27 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,550 Likes on 1,823 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Small CUVs were considered chic cars in the past (i.e. Rav4, CRVs) but the demographic is shifting to a more balanced ratio, however, small SUVs/CUVs are for the most part are slow and can't handle as well. Sure there are exceptions but the car counterparts are faaaar better for handling and speed. I believe the OP thinks Mustangs are fun...not many small SUVs that have that type of speed at $45k
You mean "chick"? I'd say they are definitely chic.

Maybe a used Macan would fit in that budget. You would have to go for the "S" variant in order to get decent acceleration though.
Old 12-13-18, 06:26 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Are you guys saying he can get a 2016 GSF for $45K used? never heard of that, that's 2015 RCF money possibly...
Old 12-14-18, 05:20 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07

Maybe a used Macan would fit in that budget. You would have to go for the "S" variant in order to get decent acceleration though.
I should have said girly cars.
Old 12-14-18, 05:44 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07

Those were really good examples, CR-V, RAV4. Some people don't care, that's fine too. I would add Jetta to the bunch. Example, Jetta is, Golf, is not. That's just the way it is for most.

People have often tried to put the 3 series into that group, and I just say I don't think so.

Used to be, although now there are serious budget constraints, but one should not get a Porsche without an S. When I got the 335i, there were new non S Caymans for $46k. Nein danke.
Old 12-14-18, 06:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I should have said girly cars.
There's nothing "girly" about small SUVs. That's just another inaccurate stereotype. They are the ideal vehicle for a lot of people of all ages, whether male or female. I myself prefer a sedan, for several reasons, but there is no denying that CUVs have found a following of millions.
Old 12-14-18, 06:19 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There's nothing "girly" about small SUVs. That's just another inaccurate stereotype. They are the ideal vehicle for a lot of people of all ages, whether male or female. I myself prefer a sedan, for several reasons, but there is no denying that CUVs have found a following of millions.
Context. I was saying that in the past, they were considered "chick" cars because the demographics heavily leaned toward female. I myself said that perception has shifted and now the demographics are much more balanced with a lot more males owning the car.
Old 12-14-18, 06:38 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,604 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE46
Are you guys saying he can get a 2016 GSF for $45K used? never heard of that, that's 2015 RCF money possibly...
Yes. I posted some links to a few up above.
Old 12-14-18, 10:22 AM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree with most of your posts and appreciate your commentary, but I also do my homework before I post. Young women are the massive majority of small SUV/crossover buyers.

Quote: “According to MaritzCX, a customer-experience software and research company, in the last five years, small sport-utility vehicle sales to women increased 34%, compared to a 22% increase for men. And premium small SUVs saw 177% growth in sales to women. And, believe it or not, these women aren’t all soccer moms looking for a vehicle to haul around the kids’ sports equipment – they are single women.“

I think my initial post was pretty spot on.

Link to article: https://agirlsguidetocars.com/women-driving-suv-sales/
Old 12-14-18, 10:32 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by TXgearhead

I agree with most of your posts and appreciate your commentary, but I also do my homework before I post. Young women are the massive majority of small SUV/crossover buyers.

Quote: “According to MaritzCX, a customer-experience software and research company, in the last five years, small sport-utility vehicle sales to women increased 34%, compared to a 22% increase for men. And premium small SUVs saw 177% growth in sales to women. And, believe it or not, these women aren’t all soccer moms looking for a vehicle to haul around the kids’ sports equipment – they are single women.“

I think my initial post was pretty spot on.

Link to article: https://agirlsguidetocars.com/women-driving-suv-sales/
That study demonstrates an increase but what was the 2017 or 2018 total market buyer percentages male vs female? Just curious if you ran across that in doing your homework... don't know the answer myself but think that would be a far more accurate detail than the stats quoted above

Quick Reply: Which Car Should I Buy? Help Needed!