Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Test-Drive....2019 Toyota Avalon.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-18, 11:51 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

This whole thing has drifted WAY OFF the topic of the Avalon.
Old 12-07-18, 12:24 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I gave my basic impression of it in the write up, though it was admittedly, not a true review, to my standards. What else do you want to know, specifically?

You did great with the review, as per usual. It was other people's opinions I was hoping to read. But alas, it appears more have started to comment.

Now I'm sure you once mentioned already, but what was your reasoning for not considering the new ES? Don't forget the wood steering wheel factor. =)

Last edited by bitkahuna; 12-07-18 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-07-18, 01:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
You did great with the review, as per usual.
Thanks...I ended up liking the base XLE version more than I thought I would, though I wouldn't chooses one over an equivalent Lacrosse.

It was other people's opinions I was hoping to read. But alas, it appears more have started to comment.
Yep, it's the Car Chat forum. Everybody tosses in their $.02. Silence here is definitely not golden.

Now I'm sure you once mentioned already, but what was your reasoning for not considering the new ES? Don't forget the wood steering wheel factor. =)
Yes, I like wood-rimmed wheels, but I can live without them....I'm doing that now.

I haven't really cared for the ES that much since the superb 4Gen model...IMO the 5th and 6th generations, while not bad cars by any means, just didn't have the same level of refinement, ride-smoothness, wood trim, interior beauty, or material-solidness. They handled a little better, but that was because of some factors (including weight-reduction) that also impacted on ride smoothness. A lot of people don't like the spindle grilles.....I'm not a fan of them myself, but can live wth them if necessary (although the one on the latest RX is really garish). I recently did a full-review on the new ES350 with the 45-series tires, and, not surprisingly, found it too stiff for my tastes and lacking in sound insulation. So, that version of the ES was clearly out for me. However, I found the ride on the new 2019 base-level Avalon (which shares the ES platform), and its 17", 55-series tires, perfectly acceptable to my tastes. The good news on the ES is that that 17" tire/wheel package also comes on the base model of the ES......so, that model might also be (nominally) on my shopping list. I don't like the dash, though, on either the new Avalon or the new ES.....both, IMO, are somewhat Dorky-looking, but in different ways.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-07-18 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-07-18, 02:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Your constant hate and repetitive bash for the Avalon is bizzare,
pot meet kettle.

Originally Posted by LexBob2
This whole thing has drifted WAY OFF the topic of the Avalon.
yes i've removed most of the poitical off-topic stuff. thanks.
Old 12-07-18, 03:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not many options left for non luxury bigger sedans. I find the new avalon to be hideous inside and out. you could get a 2 yr old k900 for the price of a new avalon or less, and that's a WAAAY better car,
If you think a two year old K900 is a nice car, go check out the latest one. The interior materials are practically jewel-like.

i don't care about brands.
Yes, your vehicle-buying history proves that...everything from a Miata to a Jeep to a G90.

i'd also prefer an es over an avalon by far, but it's more money.
The only advantages I can tell for the ES over the Avalon are a longer warranty, generally better dealer service, and a nice wooden steering wheel (option). Neither one gets very far, though, in the looks department.

I see the es outsold the avalon 2:1 last month.
Nothing new there. That has been the case for decades.
Old 12-07-18, 03:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
MMarshall, I would encourage you to cross shop the following:

Toyota Avalon XLE
Thanks, Josh, but did you notice the title of this thread? That's exactly what I test-drove.

Old 12-07-18, 03:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I don't agree. You buying the Buick was a foregone conclusion. You play neutral, but really you're a huge Buick enthusiast.
There are, in fact (not opinion), Buick products I'm not impressed with. The Regal GS is rather uncomfortable to drive, and the Encore is too small and has a Mickey-Mouse base engine.

I was really more of an enthusiast of the Buicks I grew up with, before the quality tanked, than the ones from the late 70s through the early 2000s. Only the Verano and Lacrosse have really attracted me lately.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-07-18 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-07-18, 09:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

The only advantages I can tell for the ES over the Avalon are a longer warranty, generally better dealer service, and a nice wooden steering wheel (option). Neither one gets very far, though, in the looks department.

Is is classier, better looking, rides better, quieter, nicer inside, more comfortable, better dealer service, better resale value, longer warranty
Old 12-07-18, 10:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Is is classier, better looking, rides better, quieter, nicer inside, more comfortable, better dealer service, better resale value, longer warranty
Have you sampled a new 2019 Avalon? I have ....with the softer 17" 55-series tires. I may sample an ES with that tire/wheel package (perhaps I should have done that last time..that might have been a mistake on my part)....but I was definitely not impressed with the 45s on the ES.

Now, though......the choice between the whale-grille and the spindle-grille LOL
Old 12-07-18, 10:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Have you sampled a new 2019 Avalon? I have ....with the softer 17" 55-series tires. I may sample an ES with that tire/wheel package (perhaps I should have done that last time..that might have been a mistake on my part)....but I was definitely not impressed with the 45s on the ES.
Yep, I have driven both. IMHO the ES rides very well even on the 45 series tires, better than the outgoing car. The Avalon also rides well, but the ES edges it out a little.

I have not read one review who did not laud the ES's ride as very good.
Old 12-07-18, 10:34 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

The new 7ES I drove was on Dunlop Sport Maxx 050 45 Series 18", and it rode very well; though not quite as well as the Pirelli Cinturato P7's.
The 7ES's OEM Dunlops had more thump, and more tire noise than the Pirelli Cinturato P7's of the same size.
The Dunlop Sport Maxx 050 is actually a sports tire, while the Cinturato P7's are a touring sporting-luxury tire.

A lot of rear legroom, but a compromised trunk size as a result.
Old 12-07-18, 10:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey
The new 7ES I drove was on Dunlop Sport Maxx 050 45 Series 18", and it rode very well; though not quite as well as the Pirelli Cinturato P7's.
The 7ES's OEM Dunlops had more thump, and more tire noise than the Pirelli Cinturato P7's of the same size.
The Dunlop Sport Maxx 050 is actually a sports tire, while the Cinturato P7's are a touring sporting-luxury tire.

A lot of rear legroom, but a compromised trunk size as a result.
Agreed. Definitely the brand, and even model-line of tires within that brand, can make a difference. I once had a Toyota Celica, brand-new, with junk Goodyear Invicta all-seasons that howled like my high-school English teacher after just 12,000-14,000 miles...even with good wheel alignment and balance. A replacement set of Goodyear Regattas made all the difference in the world.
Old 08-16-19, 10:58 AM
Hifiman1
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

I doubt you can find a base Buick lacrosse now since they are discontinued.

I don't trust GM reliability and since they dropped using the ASIN transmission in 2017 and moved to a GM 9 speed.

I have my eyes set on an 2019 Avalon XLE. There's no point in going ES, with the current market. There's no deals to be had on an ES and Lexus thinks they are worth their weight in gold!

I can get an Avalon for 12.5% off msrp all day long, not included Toyota cash, veteran, and college grad discount.
Old 08-16-19, 11:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hifiman1
I doubt you can find a base Buick lacrosse now since they are discontinued.

I don't trust GM reliability and since they dropped using the ASIN transmission in 2017 and moved to a GM 9 speed.
The Aisin-derived 8-speed was used only for the 2017 model year...it had its share of customer complaints over shifting uses. So did early versions of the GM-designed 9-speed used for 2018 and 2019.

Base Lacrosse models, with the hybrid four, use the (former) GM-derived 6-speed. IMO they should have kept the 6-speed across the board, though the 9-speed, together with the idle-stop system for the engine, does give good gas mileage.

I have my eyes set on an 2019 Avalon XLE. There's no point in going ES, with the current market. There's no deals to be had on an ES and Lexus thinks they are worth their weight in gold!

I can get an Avalon for 12.5% off msrp all day long, not included Toyota cash, veteran, and college grad discount.
^^^^ Agreed. Go for it. Personally, I think the present-generation Avalon is a better car than the present-generation ES.....but my advice is to avoid either model with the lower-profile 45-series tires. The Avalon XLE and its 55's gives a noticeably better ride, and I think you will be happier with it than with the imitation-sport-sedan versions. The XLS also, IMO, has a nicer interior than the sport-oriented versions. The ES, if desired, is also available with 55's.

......and you are a perfect example of why those that claim that the full-size, soft-riding sedan market in the U.S. market is dying are wrong.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-16-19 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-16-19, 11:32 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The Aisin-derived 8-speed was used only for the 2017 model year...it had its share of customer complaints over shifting uses. So did early versions of the GM-designed 9-speed used for 2018 and 2019.

Base Lacrosse models, with the hybrid four, use the (former) GM-derived 6-speed. IMO they should have kept the 6-speed across the board, though the 9-speed, together with the idle-stop system for the engine, does give good gas mileage.

^^^^ Agreed. Go for it. Personally, I think the present-generation Avalon is a better car than the present-generation ES.....but my advice is to avoid either model with the lower-profile 45-series tires. The Avalon XLE and its 55's gives a noticeably better ride, and I think you will be happier with it than with the imitation-sport-sedan versions. The XLS also, IMO, has a nicer interior than the sport-oriented versions. The ES, if desired, is also available with 55's.

......and you are a perfect example of why those that claim that the full-size, soft-riding sedan market in the U.S. market is dying are wrong.
I don't think one person wanting an Avalon is proof "soft riding sedans" are not dying. And I don't believe he mentioned that IS the reason he wants an Avalon. It would be wiser to look at overall sales numbers to see what the buying public is snagging up and more interested in.

Quick Reply: MM Test-Drive....2019 Toyota Avalon.