Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Palisade SUV

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-20, 07:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK, Jill...I think you're confusing what you are perceiving as "Permanent" AWD with the simple locking of the differential. The differential-lock-button (which some crossovers have, and some don't) is intended to lock the center-differential so that all four wheels turn at the same speed. it is primarily intended for off-roading and very slick or tough paved-conditions. It is NOT to be used on dry pavement, because it does not allow differences in wheel-rotation speed around corners and can cause tire-scrub and/or damage to the drivetrain.

"Permanent" AWD, on the other hand, uses a center differential, and drives all four wheels 100% of the time (in a torque-split ratio determined by the engineers)....and is intended for any kind of surface, any time, as long as you are getting traction, and allows differences in wheel-speed for cornering. In essence, Subaru (Symmetrical AWD) and Audi (Quattro) first perfected these kind of systems, and they have been adopted by many other automakers.

"On-Demand" AWD works pretty much like permanent, except that it drives the primary drive wheels most of the time, and engages the two extra wheels only when the primary-wheels start to slip.

The system that GM uses on the Trailblazer/Encore GX is more or less like the On-Demand system, except that instead of the system shifting back and forth between FWD and AWD on its own, it allows the driver to decide when to use it or not...a feature I like.
I don’t think you can engage awd on the Encore GX or Palisade permanently. For a short duration likely.
Old 12-22-20, 07:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don’t think you can engage awd on the Encore GX or Palisade permanently. For a short duration likely.

OK, in that sense, you are correct, as least on the GX....not sure about the Palisade. Yes, you turn the AWD on when you want it, and turn it off when you want. As I understand it, it does go off automatically with the ignition......so, you, as a driver, when you get back in and restart it, can decide what mode you want.The only time it might (?) be a bother is if one is on a long, continually slick surface, like in a rural area with no plowing/treatment, and constantly stopping and turning the ignition off....like mail-carriers do, for instance.

Most of the time, at least in this area, you are going to be in FWD anyway, so it's no big deal. If I lived in your part of the country in the winter, though, I agree...you're probably better off with a 4Runner.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-22-20 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-22-20, 07:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK, in that sense, you are correct. Yes, you turn it on when you want it, and turn it off. As I understand it, it does go off automatically with the ignition......so, you, as a driver, when you get back in and restart it, can decide what mode you want.

Most of the time, at least in this area, you are going to be in FWD anyway, so it's no big deal. If I lived in your part of the country in the winter, though, I agree...you're probably better off with a 4Runner.
I also think most fwd based system when you connect the awd part will disconnect when it hits a certain speed threshold as well. Lots of part time 4WD with auto modes do this as well. I just figure it’s worth getting the awd part on the palisade for rainy days at the minimum. (Just my thoughts)
Old 12-22-20, 07:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I just figure it’s worth getting the awd part on the palisade for rainy days at the minimum. (Just my thoughts)

I certainly agree it wouldn't hurt......unless the small difference in EPA mileage is that big a deal. My philosophy is....if one can afford a 40K or 50K SUV like a loaded Palisade, one can afford to keep it filled up.

Actually, I just checked the Owners Manual for the Encore GX, and (apparently?) the AWD system does stay activated as long as the button is on. It (apparently) does not de-activate when the ignition shuts off, as you and I previously thought......the driver decides when it goes on and off. I'll find out for sure on my next test-drive, or when I get my own. It is the engine-start/stop function that you have to keep pressing the button to de-activate every time you start up. I'll bet some customers won't like that....some of them want it off permanently. GM, though, like other automakers, is under a lot of pressure for fuel-economy.....and sitting at lights with the engine on uses gas.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-22-20 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-22-20, 08:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,577 Likes on 1,856 Posts

This style of AWD is really all that 99% of the drivers of these vehicles need
Old 12-22-20, 08:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This style of AWD is really all that 99% of the drivers of these vehicles need
james may in the latest Grand Tour (massive hunt in madagascar) established once and for all that AWD/4WD isn't needed
he drove a tiny and light CATERHAM through the absolute WORST of conditions.
Old 12-22-20, 08:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
james may in the latest Grand Tour (massive hunt in madagascar) established once and for all that AWD/4WD isn't needed

Part of it depends on the tires and traction-level. In general, the poorer the traction, the more one will need AWD.

With wet roads (as opposed to snow and ice) one thing that is helping today is the increased use of porous/grainy asphalt-surfaces where it is more difficult for water to form a slick film that tires slide on. It can make for more road/tire noise, but, all else equal, better traction.
Old 12-23-20, 06:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That was AWESOME!
Old 12-23-20, 08:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
That was AWESOME!
it sure was. i only watched 1 or 2 of the first grand tour episodes and wasn't that impressed but this one was great.

that's the absolute BEST advertisement for a caterham imagineable. it was simply incredible the hell that car was put through.

hammond's focus tracks were never going to work but were hilarious. and clarkson's bentley did AMAZINGLY well also for such a giant heavy car.
Old 12-23-20, 08:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

it sure was. i only watched 1 or 2 of the first grand tour episodes and wasn't that impressed but this one was great.

that's the absolute BEST advertisement for a caterham imagineable. it was simply incredible the hell that car was put through.

hammond's focus tracks were never going to work but were hilarious. and clarkson's bentley did AMAZINGLY well also for such a giant heavy car.
The specials are where it’s at. If you haven’t already you should watch the last one they did with boats. And there are some specials within the other seasons of the grand tour which are great.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Palisade SUV