Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Palisade SUV

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-20, 12:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,282 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Did I see that Hyundai sold over 8,000 Palisades in June?
yes, 8169 i now see! everything else WAY down though.

https://www.hyundainews.com/en-us/releases/3077
Old 07-04-20, 01:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,653 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Yeah, thats amazing and remember they were inventory constrained!
Old 07-07-20, 05:18 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

One of my closest friends who used to have a Genesis, recently got one of these and he raves about it, no issues whatsoever.
Old 07-11-20, 06:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Brother's Palisade was delivered yesterday.....Dark blue...he had to settle for a light beige interior over black....$42K before taxes.
Old 07-11-20, 07:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,653 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Dealers here seem to have much better Palisade stock then they had. I'm going to take a run at one next week and see what kind of deal I can make on one.
Old 08-27-20, 11:37 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Hyundai is investigating why the Palisade's interior smells foul

Some owners say the seats smell like old socks

Carmakers are increasingly putting scent dispensers in their models. Hyundai's flagship Palisade SUV seemingly has one, too, but it wasn't added intentionally, and some owners complain that it smells utterly rank.

Exploring the depths of online forums reveals numerous Palisade owners have complained about a funky smell. One plainly said the SUV's seats smell "really bad," while another compared the odor to that of spicy garlic cabbage, which is oddly specific, though garlic comes up a lot in posts describing the smell. Some originally thought it came from the floor mats, but replacing them didn't get rid of it. Others believe it's related to heat (the hotter it gets, the more it stinks), the upholstery, or the seatbelt assembly. Many blame the headrests. For some, it goes away over time; for others, it doesn't. What's certain is that the Palisade doesn't always smell good.

Although we've not smelled the stench ourselves, website Cars.com added it may only be present in upmarket Limited models equipped with a light-colored interior and Nappa leather upholstery. The publication added the smell in its long-term Palisade seems to come from either the headrests or from inside the seats themselves.

"We are aware of the concern, and are currently in the midst of the investigation, which includes identifying and validating a fix. Once a repair method is confirmed effective, a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) will be released to provide directions to our dealer body on how to resolve the concern," a spokesperson told The Drive.

There's no word on how long it will take for Hyundai to find a fix, or what it will necessitate. Until then, it's a good time to be peddling tree-shaped air fresheners -- especially if your neighbors have a Palisade in their driveway.
Source
Old 08-27-20, 12:18 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 163 Likes on 96 Posts

It is things like the above that still have me cautious and weary with the brand. Every year, there is always some sort of problem, recall, mystery, or defect that comes into the news with Hyundai and Kia. Every day, I still see newer models with most brake lights burned out. And based on my own observations, about half the car fires in my city are Kia's. I don't trust the brand is fully baked yet.
Old 08-27-20, 12:34 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
It is things like the above that still have me cautious and weary with the brand. Every year, there is always some sort of problem, recall, mystery, or defect that comes into the news with Hyundai and Kia. Every day, I still see newer models with most brake lights burned out. And based on my own observations, about half the car fires in my city are Kia's. I don't trust the brand is fully baked yet.
Must be one hell of a city you live in for you to observe enough car fires on a daily basis to see which brands they are.

In other news, personal anecdotes do not equate to facts.
Old 08-27-20, 12:40 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Motorola
Must be one hell of a city you live in for you to observe enough car fires on a daily basis to see which brands they are.

In other news, personal anecdotes do not equate to facts.
Never said "every day" for the car fires. Please re-read.
Also never claimed fact. I clearly stated these are my observations and opinions the company isn't 100% there yet.
Old 08-27-20, 12:53 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Never said "every day" for the car fires. Please re-read.
Also never claimed fact. I clearly stated these are my observations and opinions the company isn't 100% there yet.
If you live in any city where car fires are such a common occurrence to the extent that you can count the frequency of brands behind them, it's not a very believable claim. That is my observation and opinion, which is equally as valid as yours.

As for the story itself, it's weird how this affects only the Palisade but not the Telluride. Must be due to differences in how the Nappa leather was conditioned.
Old 08-27-20, 01:03 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

If you live in any city where car fires are such a common occurrence to the extent that you can count the frequency of brands behind them, it's not a very believable claim. That is my observation and opinion, which is equally as valid as yours.

As for the story itself, it's weird how this affects only the Palisade but not the Telluride. Must be due to differences in how the Nappa leather was conditioned.
In today's times, with social media, it is easy to follow (car) fires, accidents, and crime. Simple subscriptions to local emergency groups on Facebook and IG fills my phone with pics and stories of everything happening throughout the day in my area and on my freeway.
I also have a long commute each day to work.
Beyond that, I can see how it may sound odd.

Agree, curious as to how the Telluride escaped the issue.
Old 08-27-20, 01:05 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know, I feel like I see Honda and Toyota recalls of some sort or another "every year".
Old 08-27-20, 01:10 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

In today's times, with social media, it is easy to follow (car) fires, accidents, and crime. Simple subscriptions to local emergency groups on Facebook and IG fills my phone with pics and stories of everything happening throughout the day in my area and on my freeway.
I also have a long commute each day to work.
Beyond that, I can see how it may sound odd.

Agree, curious as to how the Telluride escaped the issue.
Okay, tell me what city and stretch of highway it is then. I'm pretty sure I could find all the car fires that took place in it (if there were any) and see how many of them are Hyundais and Kias, because such incidents would surely be real news and not at all fake anecdotes.
Old 08-27-20, 01:14 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

While on the subject of stinky cars, Mercedes had this huge blunder of lawsuit last year.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/12/me...lion-vehicles/

Rather have funny smelling leather than moldy HVAC systems.
Old 08-27-20, 01:23 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Okay, tell me what city and stretch of highway it is then. I'm pretty sure I could find all the car fires that took place in it (if there were any) and see how many of them are Hyundais and Kias, because such incidents would surely be real news and not at all fake anecdotes.
Here's your fake news...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...dai-kia-fires/

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/03/05/...-engine-fires/

https://www.autosafety.org/kia-and-h...n-crash-fires/

Quick Reply: Hyundai Palisade SUV