Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Would you support some sort of automated ticketing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-18, 04:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Who was it on this forum or elsewhere that said, "Speed doesn't kill. Differences in speed do".
Both can kill, depending on the circumstances. All else equal, more speed means more kinetic energy (energy of motion) in the vehicle itself, and the greater impact-damage and injury that will result if the vehicle does hit something. Differences in speed, if they are high enough, can also kill by forcing faster drivers to make maneuvers tat can put themselves, their vehicles, and other vehicles at risk.
Old 11-18-18, 04:31 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 245 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
I would have no problems with the speeding idea provided the speed limits were set sensibly, the tolerance was reasonable AND it wasn't laughably easy to get a driving license.

To my mind a 65 limit for most freeways is at least 10 to 15 MPH under what would be a reasonable limit. US freeways tend to be long, straight and wide. Perfectly safe at 80/85 or even 90. Provided, of course, drivers don't weave in or out, know that when they merge they must be at sensible speeds, that they must use their signals and that they must follow sensible lane discipline - keep right unless you're passing.

Which is the reason why we also need proper driving tests which don't award driving licenses like participation medals.
a lot of sensibility going on here... the US road test is dangerously easy, and i do mean dangerously. many people also only develop the habits necessary to pass the road test and then go off and do their own thing. none of the test is done on a highway, or at night, or in the rain, and i remember all of us being most worried about THE PARALLEL PARK!! OMG THE PARALLEL PARK! which is literally almost never done (depends where you live i guess) and has no bearing on how well you can drive.

there's a reason the autobahns work as well as they do. people follow the rules of the road, and the roads themselves are well maintained. so many US roads are terrible and even though you sometimes could go faster, there's no point since the road is so bumpy / pothole ridden. vehicle maintenance and upkeep also isn't a consideration by most people which also leads to increase potential danger.

personally i think the road test shouldn't be a simple pass or fail. if you barely squeak by, i don't see why you should be allowed to drive literally anywhere in the country. i would never support automatic speed tickets though. first of all that's not very "land of the free", and there's too many factors involved to just say x amount over y = automatically very dangerous. i don't see why a modern S65 AMG should conform to the same laws as a 1960s pickup truck, all vehicles are NOT created equal. neither are all people, but both are never taken into consideration.
Old 11-18-18, 04:35 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Oh, yes, I fully agree that other drugs are often as bad if not worse than alcohol. It's much harder, though, to detect the use of them inside a vehicle by sensors, because alcohol breath leaves a distinctive smell that is easily detected. Many other drugs don't. Tobacco, of course, does leave a smell, but its use is legal (there is no such thing as a legal tobacco overdose, as long as one is 18 to 21 years old, wherever the state law is). And, while pot also leaves a smell, its use is also either legal or decriminalized in some states, though, unlike tobacco, pot can affect the mind more and actually affect driving.
i think weed makes driving safer since afterword i don't need to go as fast to still have fun
Old 11-18-18, 04:37 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Who was it on this forum or elsewhere that said, "Speed doesn't kill. Differences in speed do".
is this what you are referring to lol

Old 11-18-18, 04:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639

The faster you are going, the quicker you (can) become stationary.
Old 11-18-18, 05:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Oh, yes, I fully agree that other drugs are often as bad if not worse than alcohol. It's much harder, though, to detect the use of them inside a vehicle by sensors, because alcohol breath leaves a distinctive smell that is easily detected. Many other drugs don't. Tobacco, of course, does leave a smell, but its use is legal (there is no such thing as a legal tobacco overdose, as long as one is 18 to 21 years old, wherever the state law is). And, while pot also leaves a smell, its use is also either legal or decriminalized in some states, though, unlike tobacco, pot can affect the mind more and actually affect driving.
i disagree with in car testing for any chemicals. I think the car should just observe the driving behavior. As i said, distracted driving may not involve any chemical impairment but is still highly dangerous.
Old 11-18-18, 05:27 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

The faster you are going, the quicker you (can) become stationary.
omg he was just being entertaining with that lol
Old 11-18-18, 05:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

i disagree with in car testing for any chemicals. I think the car should just observe the driving behavior. As i said, distracted driving may not involve any chemical impairment but is still highly dangerous.
Why not just do both? We are at the point that technology to could implement these measures.
Old 11-18-18, 05:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
personally i think the road test shouldn't be a simple pass or fail. if you barely squeak by, i don't see why you should be allowed to drive literally anywhere in the country.
agree! ...
Old 11-18-18, 05:54 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Before you say no let's look at a few scenarios...

if your can knows you ran a red light or stop sign, like not even slowing much...
if your car knows your speed is 50% or more over the speed limit...
if you're parked illegally

personally i think a car SHOULD turn you in for crazy speed. the other scenarios are debatable to me.
Regardless of where one's opinion is, I wouldn't lump parking violations with running red lights or excessive speeding. It's pretty rare that illegal parking can be life threatening; not the case with the other 2.
Old 11-18-18, 06:13 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

crap like this cant even pass simple constitutional muster. How do you know who was driving at that particular time? Thats why any criminal penalty was struck down for any red light ticket in Houston, cant prove who was driving, and you cant face your accuser which are your civil rights. Lot of nanny state nonsense being proposed.
Old 11-18-18, 07:29 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Both can kill, depending on the circumstances. All else equal, more speed means more kinetic energy (energy of motion) in the vehicle itself, and the greater impact-damage and injury that will result if the vehicle does hit something. Differences in speed, if they are high enough, can also kill by forcing faster drivers to make maneuvers tat can put themselves, their vehicles, and other vehicles at risk.
Yes, I get that. but there is some statistic out there that there are much fewer accidents on the German autobahn than here, and that has no speed limit and hardly anyone goes full WOT on those roads. Im sure its a combination of more stringent driving tests, but its an interesting statistic for sure
Old 11-18-18, 08:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, I get that. but there is some statistic out there that there are much fewer accidents on the German autobahn than here, and that has no speed limit and hardly anyone goes full WOT on those roads. Im sure its a combination of more stringent driving tests, but its an interesting statistic for sure
There is also less traffic in Germany, a country with roughly one-fourth the population of the U.S. Fewer vehicles, all else equal, means fewer accidents. When accidents DO happen on the Autobahn, however, at those triple-digit speeds, they can be horrific.
Old 11-18-18, 08:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Regardless of where one's opinion is, I wouldn't lump parking violations with running red lights or excessive speeding. It's pretty rare that illegal parking can be life threatening; not the case with the other 2.
so you're ok with people driving 105 in a 70 limit or 45 in a 30?
Old 11-18-18, 08:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
it's pretty rare that illegal parking can be life threatening;
Park in the wrong space, and somebody might come after you with a gun LOL. You never know what kind of crazies you might be dealing with nowadays.

Quick Reply: Would you support some sort of automated ticketing?