Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Toyota Corolla Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-19, 06:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
The Prius is more practical than the Corolla sedan and styling is another. Both have mediocre power but high mileage but I would choose practicality over styling as long as it wasnt ridiculous like the pre-refresh Prius.

Noe of the Prius generations, since its American-market 2000 introduction, have been anywhere near what I'd call good-looking, and the material-solidness seemed to noticeably thin out and get much lighter with the 3Gen model. But there is no denying the fuel-economy in these cars....they are not the darlings of the environmentalists for nothing. Lately, though, the Kia Niro and Hyundai Ioniq have offered a serious alternative.....and they are far more conventiontally-styled inside and out, with less-quirky controls and displays.
Old 02-12-19, 07:32 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The new Honda insight may be the best looking hybrid and one with the fewest compromises. Acceleration is actually pretty good with 0-60 times just over 7.5 sec and the fuel mileage is still pretty good at 55 city/49 highway. The overall mileage is 52 mpg. The LX price is about $23,000 which is cheaper than the base Prius.
Old 02-12-19, 09:11 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Where do ever get good power and high mileage?
I would call the 2.0L Hybrid in the UX has pretty good power and high mileage. Also, what about all those small turbocharged 4cyl engines that has good power and relatively high mileage?
Old 02-12-19, 09:13 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Noe of the Prius generations, since its American-market 2000 introduction, have been anywhere near what I'd call good-looking, and the material-solidness seemed to noticeably thin out and get much lighter with the 3Gen model. But there is no denying the fuel-economy in these cars....they are not the darlings of the environmentalists for nothing. Lately, though, the Kia Niro and Hyundai Ioniq have offered a serious alternative.....and they are far more conventiontally-styled inside and out, with less-quirky controls and displays.
Yea styling is all subjective and personal preferences and all that. WHile the KIA and Hyundai does offer serious competition, over the long term, I would still choose the Prius due to long term reliable. These things can't be cheap to fix with all the tech that is in them.
Old 02-12-19, 10:20 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
The Prius is more practical than the Corolla sedan and styling is another. Both have mediocre power but high mileage but I would choose practicality over styling as long as it wasnt ridiculous like the pre-refresh Prius.
Both are four-door compact sedans. Prius has the lift-hatch, is that what you are referring to as far as practicality? Beyond that, I now see little setting them apart other than the freak-show styling of the pre-refresh Prius.
Old 02-12-19, 11:13 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Both are four-door compact sedans. Prius has the lift-hatch, is that what you are referring to as far as practicality? Beyond that, I now see little setting them apart other than the freak-show styling of the pre-refresh Prius.
Yea I see the Prius as more of a hatchback than a sedan. Trying fitting a grill from Home Depot into either car, or any bulky object for that matter and it will make a huge difference.
Old 02-12-19, 11:42 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Slight departure here, but I really like the 2020 Corolla Wagon, which of course, we won't get it in the US because Americans hate wagons and would rather drive high cars with big tires.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ng-sports-new/

Last edited by link13; 02-12-19 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-12-19, 11:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
Slight departure here, but I really like the 2020 Corolla Wagon, which of course, we won't get it in the US, because Americans hate wagons and would rather drive high cars with big tires.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ng-sports-new/
Very attractive car IMO. I would like Toyota to offer it.
Old 02-12-19, 02:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
Slight departure here, but I really like the 2020 Corolla Wagon, which of course, we won't get it in the US because Americans hate wagons and would rather drive high cars with big tires.
no, it's because americans don't drive on medieval roads and a million people to an acre with no parking. americans have space and they value it. europeans (well the peasants, anyway ) don't, and so have to drive shoe boxes.
Old 02-12-19, 02:39 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

cute car for a teenage girl, beyond that.. meh.
Old 02-12-19, 03:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjeds
cute car for a teenage girl, beyond that.. meh.
It's a nice car for anyone who likes Corollas. While I'm not saying that stereotypes have no truth to them, I generally don't agree with them.
Old 02-12-19, 05:42 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

It's a nice car for anyone who likes Corollas. While I'm not saying that stereotypes have no truth to them, I generally don't agree with them.
Old 02-12-19, 05:45 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

no wait, this one is better suited.
Old 02-12-19, 05:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

omg. Nice. Don't make fun of my car. It's quite satisfying.

Anyways, here is what I found in the new Corolla manual. It's has a coffee cup sway warning.

Old 02-12-19, 06:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
omg. Nice. Don't make fun of my car. It's quite satisfying.
Exactly. The Corolla may be a little small for my tastes, but I'd buy one before a number of other vehicles on the market. For one, it probably sets the standard for its class (low-priced compact sedans) in refinement. And, of course, its reliaibility record is enviable. The Buick Verano was quieter and plusher, but was not really in the same class....it was slightly more upmarket (and it is now gone from the American market).

Quick Reply: 2020 Toyota Corolla Sedan