Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next-gen Audi TT to become a four-door coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-18, 10:52 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Next-gen Audi TT to become a four-door coupe?

TT Sportback concept would enter production to combat falling sales

Four years ago, Audi showed the TT Sportback concept at the Paris Motor Show, the third TT-based fancy revealed in 2014 after the two-door Allroad Shooting Brake and four-door TT Offroad concepts. At the time, former Audi R&D head Ulrich Hackenberg suggested "a possible TT family." A few years of pandemonium delayed whatever plans Audi had at the time, but it appears the Ingolstadt carmaker will move ahead with a production version of the TT Sportback concept. Both Auto Express and Auto Bild report that the next generation will become a four-door coupe, replacing the two-door coupe and roadster on sale now.

The two publications say Audi bosses have already approved the four-door's final design. We can't know the final dimensions of the production four-door, but the Mars Red TT Sportback concept was a touch more than 11 inches longer and two inches wider than the current third-generation production TT. The concept's roof sat an inch lower, and the wheelbase stretched almost five inches longer than the span on the TT.

If there's anything a sporty buyer would want from the concept, it's the engine. The 2.0-liter TSFI turbocharged four-cylinder EA888 received heavy mods, putting out 400 horsepower at 6,400 rpm
and 331 pound-feet of torque, good for a 0-62 mph dash in 3.9 seconds. The same engine in the TTS produces 292 hp and 280 lb-ft, taking 4.6 seconds to get to 60 mph. You have to climb up to the 2.5-liter five-cylinder in the TT RSto reach the 400-hp mark.

That flavor of madness isn't likely, but the engine range is expected to expand. On top of standard gasoline engines with mild hybrid help, there could be a plug-in hybrid, "a new generation of electrified diesel engines," and a fully electric version.

When the TT Sportback appears "in showrooms in less than two years" on a version of the TT's MQB platform, it will compete with the anticipated BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe and Mercedes-Benz CLA.
Source
Old 11-15-18, 03:32 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks ok to me, but HATE the red.
Old 11-15-18, 03:50 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

So if the TT grows so much in length and width, isn't this going to compete with Audi's own A5/S5 Sportback?
Old 11-15-18, 05:10 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by yardie876
So if the TT grows so much in length and width, isn't this going to compete with Audi's own A5/S5 Sportback?
Shhhh don't tell anyone. The guy who said the AMG GT 4-Door is just a more expensive CLS, has never been heard from again lol
Old 11-16-18, 08:38 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Shhhh don't tell anyone. The guy who said the AMG GT 4-Door is just a more expensive CLS, has never been heard from again lol
RIP

But yeah I was wondering the same thing. Seems like we have quite the influx of four-door coupes these days, in no small part thanks to Audi's own A5 Sportback. Though to be honest, a small part of me like the idea of a 4-door TT. It's kinda in the same realm as a four-door BMW 2-series (Gran Coupe??) would be.
Old 11-16-18, 08:45 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

The only time I drove one, I really liked it. was a plain 6 speed manual nothing fancy. Coworker picked it up and threw me the keys, so I said thanks!
Old 11-16-18, 10:11 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by arentz07
RIP

But yeah I was wondering the same thing. Seems like we have quite the influx of four-door coupes these days, in no small part thanks to Audi's own A5 Sportback. Though to be honest, a small part of me like the idea of a 4-door TT. It's kinda in the same realm as a four-door BMW 2-series (Gran Coupe??) would be.
I would imagine it's not that hard to take a current car and morph it into a four-door coupe. Just stretch it out and lower the roofline. Most interiors are identical to their 4-door sedan and 2-door coupe siblings. I do love the S5 Sportback (more so than the A7), better proportions IMO. But yeah part of me also likes the idea of a 4-door TT. Benz has the A-Class, CLA, CLS, and AMG GT 4-door. I just wish Lexus would jump on the bandwagon of sloping/rakish 4-door coupes. I want the GS back
Old 11-16-18, 02:19 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I would imagine it's not that hard to take a current car and morph it into a four-door coupe. Just stretch it out and lower the roofline. Most interiors are identical to their 4-door sedan and 2-door coupe siblings. I do love the S5 Sportback (more so than the A7), better proportions IMO. But yeah part of me also likes the idea of a 4-door TT. Benz has the A-Class, CLA, CLS, and AMG GT 4-door. I just wish Lexus would jump on the bandwagon of sloping/rakish 4-door coupes. I want the GS back
There were rumors of such a vehicle for a while. It'd be awesome to have a hatchback/"sportback" GS.
Old 11-17-18, 10:23 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The poor TT. It is very much suffering the same problem the New Beetle suffered. First gen hit the nail on the head and had a purpose. Everything since then has been a steak from Sizzler. Really can't update or fix a one-time filler.
Old 11-18-18, 02:18 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The poor TT. It is very much suffering the same problem the New Beetle suffered. First gen hit the nail on the head and had a purpose. Everything since then has been a steak from Sizzler. Really can't update or fix a one-time filler.
sales have been slow IMO because I don't think they changed/updated the Mk3 body style nearly enough, looks 99% like a Mk2 (I owned a Mk2 btw).
Old 11-18-18, 11:06 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
sales have been slow IMO because I don't think they changed/updated the Mk3 body style nearly enough, looks 99% like a Mk2 (I owned a Mk2 btw).
True. It has barely changed, which isn't enough to spark new attention. But they will say they can't change such a design, since it's so iconic and unique. They have a point with that too. So damned either way. (Beetle has/had same problem). I love the TT, but they may have no choice but to simply do something drastic. No one is noticing the recent updates.