Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota to Trim LineUp

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-18, 04:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
The cuts will happen in Canada too and that could signal what might happen in the US, although in the States there are far more big market prestige cities than Canada. Anything that's niche, esotoric or expensive to make might get dropped because it's not profitable to have that halo vehicle sitting in your showroom like a big fancy paperweight. In Canada the LC and RC are selling in tiny numbers. They sold 117 LC and 241 RC coupes in 2018 so far. Those are probably going away. GS could go away too, 163 sold in CA in 2018.

They'll keep IS, ES and RX of course.
LC is certainly not going anywhere, it is getting LC-F variant next summer... it is a halo vehicle, not supposed to sell great... RC just got refresh, not going anywhere (except be merged to IS-C in the future). Same on Toyota side, new Supra is incoming and new GT-86 is coming too.

Sure, GS has been rumored to go for a while, as no replacement has been lined up and it is a very old model... next year should be last one.

But overall, Toyota targets largest profit in the history of the company, building up on last year record profit. It is by far the most profitable manufacturer in the world. If they are cutting things like Prius c, Yaris Hatch and Prius v, it is because new models are coming - such as that new SUV/CUV, rumored to be something like next gen FJ.
Old 11-07-18, 05:26 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

RC like IS will most likely see another generaiton
Old 11-07-18, 06:11 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
LC is certainly not going anywhere, it is getting LC-F variant next summer... it is a halo vehicle, not supposed to sell great... RC just got refresh, not going anywhere (except be merged to IS-C in the future). Same on Toyota side, new Supra is incoming and new GT-86 is coming too.

Sure, GS has been rumored to go for a while, as no replacement has been lined up and it is a very old model... next year should be last one.

But overall, Toyota targets largest profit in the history of the company, building up on last year record profit. It is by far the most profitable manufacturer in the world. If they are cutting things like Prius c, Yaris Hatch and Prius v, it is because new models are coming - such as that new SUV/CUV, rumored to be something like next gen FJ.
You can't keep what you can't sell. A 100K coupe is already a tough sell for any auto company, a LC-F is fun times for various auto reviewers at fancy locales but the regular Joe and Jane will look at that LC/LC-F with a passing interest. They're not going to head over to a Camry or ES because they saw the LC in the showroom. The numbers don't lie and Toyota is a numbers spec company. In the US, and big dollar prestige markets maybe you keep LC and RC.
Old 11-07-18, 06:16 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
RC like IS will most likely see another generaiton
But isn't the RC neither fish nor fowl? What is its intended mission in life? A Mustang beater with fancy credentials or a M4 competitor? If it sticks around it will have to be a much more evolved pure platform on the GA-L platform. That's big bucks and people will cross shop the competitors, and the Koreans are not standing around on the sidelines watching all this. The IS OTH has a pedigree going back a long ways. The RC does not.
Old 11-08-18, 09:41 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MattyG
But isn't the RC neither fish nor fowl? What is its intended mission in life? A Mustang beater with fancy credentials or a M4 competitor? If it sticks around it will have to be a much more evolved pure platform on the GA-L platform. That's big bucks and people will cross shop the competitors, and the Koreans are not standing around on the sidelines watching all this. The IS OTH has a pedigree going back a long ways. The RC does not.
Due to circumstances current RC is a in-between product but it doesn't mean it's a bad car at all (it's actually quite good). It was supposed to be a convertible too that's why it got the Frankenstein chassis which hampered the performance a bit and then actual convertible version got sacked so lexus could work on RX-L which left RC in one giant mess. After all Lexus is a small car manufacturer like Jaguar so they can't make a convertible and a SUV at the same time, they had to choose one or the other.

I think they will give RC one more shot on GA-L platform. Hopefully by that time we will not have to experience it with 20 year old 3.5GR and just good enough 2.0 turbo
Old 11-08-18, 11:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I think we need to clarify this thread. Are we talking about trimming the American-market Toyota line-up, the Lexus line-up, or both?
Old 11-08-18, 11:44 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,897 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Due to circumstances current RC is a in-between product but it doesn't mean it's a bad car at all (it's actually quite good). It was supposed to be a convertible too that's why it got the Frankenstein chassis which hampered the performance a bit and then actual convertible version got sacked so lexus could work on RX-L which left RC in one giant mess. After all Lexus is a small car manufacturer like Jaguar so they can't make a convertible and a SUV at the same time, they had to choose one or the other.

I think they will give RC one more shot on GA-L platform. Hopefully by that time we will not have to experience it with 20 year old 3.5GR and just good enough 2.0 turbo
The GR is not 20 years old. The 2GR-FSE was introduced in 2005 (approximately) and has been evolved in recent years to the 2GR-FKS. I am honestly clinging to the n/a V6, since I think it's not long for this world, at least not in luxury vehicles.

I don't know that the RC will get a new generation. It doesn't sell in huge numbers, but it does serve as a sort-of junior halo car for Lexus. Hard to say.
Old 11-08-18, 01:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
The GR is not 20 years old.
The Toyota GR (family of engines) actually dates back to production year of 2002 and model year 2003 in the Toyota 4Runner. But you are right, the 2GR goes started in model year 05, production started with the Avalon in 04
Old 11-08-18, 02:37 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 245 Likes on 186 Posts

get rid of the mazda one, i think i sold only 1 in nearly two years

i'd like them to get rid of the current avalon and replace it with something a bit more florida retirement community since they don't have a soft cushy car anymore

definitely don't axe the 4runner, definitely make a new GS
Old 11-08-18, 02:55 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,897 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The Toyota GR (family of engines) actually dates back to production year of 2002 and model year 2003 in the Toyota 4Runner. But you are right, the 2GR goes started in model year 05, production started with the Avalon in 04
Yeah, my bad. The GR family is a bit older - still not 20 years though. :P

Thing is, I wonder if Toyota would even spend the engineering time to develop a brand-new V-6 platform at this stage - my guess is "no".
Old 11-08-18, 02:58 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
get rid of the mazda one, i think i sold only 1 in nearly two years
That surprises me. I feel like I see the sedan version all of the time.

From Car and Driver on the Yaris:

This subcompact hatch is so ancient that it still uses a four-speed automatic transmission. Not only is no replacement in sight, the sedan version of the Yaris, a rebadged Mazda 2 that Mazda builds for Toyota in Mexico, has also rendered the aging hatchback even more irrelevant of late. The sedan far outsells the hatchback, with its sales through October 2018 tallying 31,270 to the hatchback model's meager 8248.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/to...ar-lineup-cuts
Old 11-08-18, 03:17 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Yeah, my bad. The GR family is a bit older - still not 20 years though. :P

Thing is, I wonder if Toyota would even spend the engineering time to develop a brand-new V-6 platform at this stage - my guess is "no".
By the time new RC shows up it will be

Old 11-08-18, 03:46 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 245 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
That surprises me. I feel like I see the sedan version all of the time.
well, it's probably from me growing up and working in an affluent area of the north shore of western long island, where a good deal of the people that came in had a situation of "i've had a lexus, mercedes, acura, etc.. for many years, so now i want to lower my payment by getting "just a toyota" since i don't need a lexus anymore"

less than a mile down the road there are mercedes, acura, jeep, and gmc/buick/cadillac dealers, and about 3 miles up the road there is lexus, land/range rover, volvo, and infiniti dealers. go a bit further and there's jaguwah. rav4 and highlander xle were definitely the biggest sellers, followed by camry and corolla. even more 4runners and avalons were bought than the yaris, at this particular place at least (penn toyota for anyone nearby). the yaris probably outsold the land cruiser though lol.
Old 11-08-18, 04:20 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Toyota already has developed a brand new V6. The twin-turbocharged V6 in the LS is a brand new Dynamic Force (V35A) V6, not just a turbocharged GR V6.
Old 11-08-18, 04:48 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Not surprising this might happen. The smaller one-off cars are not as profitable as the larger SUVS and trucks. A recession will eventually come the United States and purging certain models make sense.
You are just full of positive thoughts. How do you know that?

Quick Reply: Toyota to Trim LineUp