ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Car Chat (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/)
-   -   Saw my first LS500 in person... (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/903804-saw-my-first-ls500-in-person.html)

Toys4RJill 11-07-18 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Diemellz (Post 10353698)
every time is see the LS500 i see an over sized camry on steroids

I agree. Definitely some visual cues in there.

97-SC300 11-07-18 08:29 PM

I sat in a new LS500 F Sport for a few minutes. The interior is just perfect. Fit me like a glove. Everything was exactly where you want it to be. Not too huge. Just right.

I really wish Lexus stuck with the tradition sedan styling on it, especially on the side profile. It has that 1gen Panamera rear hump thing going which I don't care for. Not the ugliest thing I've ever seen but they had over a decade to design this thing and I think they could've done a better job. They should have played it more safe with a car that's so important to the image of the brand. It's their flagship. You want to experiment with styling, do it on the cheaper models, do it on the crappy NX, ES, etc. See how the customers like it. Don't make this kind of drastic love it or hate it styling on a sophisticated, mature vehicle.

Say what you want about the German cars, they got their styling on point. Their cars look good today, the following year, and twenty years later still have classic designs that age well. Lexus and pretty much all Japanese brands these days are making some of the ugliest cars on the road. Almost like it's a race for who has the ugliest car. Ie. 4Runner Limited, GX460, LX570 are all hideous, as is the new Accord, Avalon (front end), so on and so forth. I can list a hundred cars.

Johnhav430 11-08-18 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411 (Post 10353457)
Which is why we have adaptive suspension with modes

Maybe it's me, but I tried them on extended drives with a A6, and GTI, and all modes felt very similar. The biggest difference I could feel is the steering, from light, to artificially less light. That was always my opinion on the BMWs without adaptive suspensions, that the settings to say sport+ were really just masking how the vehicle would feel normally. Like taking a picture with a digital zoom if you will...

Johnhav430 11-08-18 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by 97-SC300 (Post 10353892)
I sat in a new LS500 F Sport for a few minutes. The interior is just perfect. Fit me like a glove. Everything was exactly where you want it to be. Not too huge. Just right.

I really wish Lexus stuck with the tradition sedan styling on it, especially on the side profile. It has that 1gen Panamera rear hump thing going which I don't care for. Not the ugliest thing I've ever seen but they had over a decade to design this thing and I think they could've done a better job. They should have played it more safe with a car that's so important to the image of the brand. It's their flagship. You want to experiment with styling, do it on the cheaper models, do it on the crappy NX, ES, etc. See how the customers like it. Don't make this kind of drastic love it or hate it styling on a sophisticated, mature vehicle.

Say what you want about the German cars, they got their styling on point. Their cars look good today, the following year, and twenty years later still have classic designs that age well. Lexus and pretty much all Japanese brands these days are making some of the ugliest cars on the road. Almost like it's a race for who has the ugliest car. Ie. 4Runner Limited, GX460, LX570 are all hideous, as is the new Accord, Avalon (front end), so on and so forth. I can list a hundred cars.

Can't remember if they mixed them in with the cars were were driving at the event (no biggie as we drove the LC and RC F's), but I do remember seeing one parked and I have always admired the brakes. That's the requirement on my next car--4 fixed calipers, with 15" brakes at least on the fronts. Not gonna compromise. And I even see Mercedes and Audi putting floating calipers in the rears, again pretty sure S560 and A8's. Could be wrong.

arentz07 11-08-18 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Johnhav430 (Post 10354044)
Maybe it's me, but I tried them on extended drives with a A6, and GTI, and all modes felt very similar. The biggest difference I could feel is the steering, from light, to artificially less light. That was always my opinion on the BMWs without adaptive suspensions, that the settings to say sport+ were really just masking how the vehicle would feel normally. Like taking a picture with a digital zoom if you will...

Sometimes it's not the benefit of different modes so much as it is to remove the usual compromises. Like, maintaining a lower damping setting while enabling more aggressive anti-roll. This can make the car feel more stable but still comfortable. But then you can crank up the dampers when you want it to be sportier.

And "normally" is an interesting term - consider that just about any car out there can change its version of "normal" through modifications and tuning, and "normal" then becomes immaterial. ;)

TXgearhead 11-08-18 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by corradoMR2 (Post 10352745)
The LS looks better in person but with the right interior color-combo and the gorgeous reclining rear seats in top trims. Although I am a big fan/owner of F Sport-only Lexus cars, I would pass on the LS F Sport as the interior details like the aluminum trim and darker high-gloss wood don't exude the luxury for the price here in Canada ($110k ! ) Took some shots a couple weeks back and was left a bit disappointed. Rear seat and controls too unfortunately.

My biggest issue with the interior. This is a the most expensive Japanese sedan offered and every button is still cheap plastic. Google the S560 and 7 series interior. See how many plastic buttons those cars have.

arentz07 11-08-18 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by TXgearhead (Post 10354126)

My biggest issue with the interior. This is a the most expensive Japanese sedan offered and every button is still cheap plastic. Google the S560 and 7 series interior. See how many plastic buttons those cars have.

You also have to consider that both of those German sedans are significantly more expensive - the 7-series starts about $8,000 higher. What's more, it's not like they are putting cheap Toyota-Yaris-grade plastic in there. And what's even more (:D) is that there simply aren't a ton of hard buttons. Surrounded by what buttons there are are metal, leather, soft-touch plastics, and wood.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...9ba874e98d.jpg

Also some of those buttons might be rubberized - maybe an owner can chime in on that.

I think you have a valid criticism, but definitely not one that stands on its own as a reason to not buy the LS. :)

Johnhav430 11-08-18 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by arentz07 (Post 10354154)
You also have to consider that both of those German sedans are significantly more expensive - the 7-series starts about $8,000 higher. What's more, it's not like they are putting cheap Toyota-Yaris-grade plastic in there. And what's even more (:D) is that there simply aren't a ton of hard buttons. Surrounded by what buttons there are are metal, leather, soft-touch plastics, and wood.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...9ba874e98d.jpg

Also some of those buttons might be rubberized - maybe an owner can chime in on that.

I think you have a valid criticism, but definitely not one that stands on its own as a reason to not buy the LS. :)

I can't say this is still true. But at least 10 years ago, I felt that entry level Germans, got the underpinnings of higher end offerings from the same make. Even a small BMW 3 series with composite fenders came in at 3500 lbs.+ and the doors slam like a heavy car.

My LS430 from that era is not that heavy, and has power window switches from a Corolla. I probably didn't spend enough time driving the LS500 to feel that the interior was cheap. But I do think Germans have been accused of being spartan in the old days, but not cheap.

Hoovey689 11-08-18 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Johnhav430 (Post 10354044)

I do agree, some adaptive suspensions need a bit more aggression. When it comes to the new LS and LC, 'Comfort' could be softer

SW17LS 11-10-18 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill (Post 10353230)

Both of those Mercedes Benz model trims do not have perception of being boats that do not handle well but offer super soft rides.

They do amongst everyone I know.

As for buttons in the LS500, they're all high quality metallic flaked plastic, same as the S Class, etc. No real metal buttons there either, maybe a couple.

The LS500 is just as high quality inside as anything in the segment. I've driven them all dozens of times.

Toys4RJill 11-10-18 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by SW17LS (Post 10355614)
They do amongst everyone I know.

As for buttons in the LS500, they're all high quality metallic flaked plastic, same as the S Class, etc. No real metal buttons there either, maybe a couple.

The LS500 is just as high quality inside as anything in the segment. I've driven them all dozens of times.

What metal buttons was I talking about? Lol

SW17LS 11-10-18 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill (Post 10355620)

What metal buttons was I talking about? Lol

I wasn't replying just to you, several other people commented about buttons being plastic. Buttons in all these cars are made from plastic.

Stereorob 11-10-18 09:19 AM

i like the LS500. well, sort of. i honestly think its kind of a weird car but i commend lexus for breaking out of their shell a bit and being more stylish with the LS. looks more like an exotic now. the interior is to die for, but feels more like a mid size sedan instead of a full size one inside. fit and finish great, but i think the booty is a little big, tail lamps should be bigger, and theirs too many extra windows in the back. the autumn shimmer is one of my favorites too. dont see it much. love the big mean spindle grill and lights. looks way more aggressive then before. harder sharper body lines which is great and im an LS guy anyway, however the TT V6 is a deal breaker for me. i just cant love a V6 LS. yes its quick yes it feels great, but its just missing that.. feel.

ive had old LS's since i was a kid. the 400s are about used up and i hate the 430, so ill be making the jump to 460 in a few years once my 00 LS400 is done, but in 15 years, i dont want a 2018 V6 LS in my driveway.

Stroock639 11-10-18 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Stereorob (Post 10355702)
the TT V6 is a deal breaker for me. i just cant love a V6 LS. yes its quick yes it feels great, but its just missing that.. feel.

ive had old LS's since i was a kid. the 400s are about used up and i hate the 430, so ill be making the jump to 460 in a few years once my 00 LS400 is done, but in 15 years, i dont want a 2018 V6 LS in my driveway.

it doesn't leap off the line in the same dramatic fashion as the LS from 20 years ago, and the response overall is not as immediate, which i think just makes it feel weaker overall. even out on the road it didn't feel all that faster, and without the V8 noises it certainly doesn't sound it is. then people will say "but the LS is supposed to be quiet and isolated", ok fair enough... so don't style and promote it as some thrilling engaging drivers car with a bunch of flames in the commercial. it doesn't sound bad now, but not too different than a sienna. i guess we just gotta wait for the LS F?

idk how honda does it but one of the few redeeming qualities of the current MDX is how great that V6 sounds. best sounding V6 in the industry i'm tempted to say, it really screams at the high rpms. especially after the vtec kicks in yo.

TXgearhead 11-10-18 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by SW17LS (Post 10355647)
I wasn't replying just to you, several other people commented about buttons being plastic. Buttons in all these cars are made from plastic.

Are you saying the interior of the LS500 is on par with the S560? Not sure how many people, even on a Lexus forum will agree with you.

As for the buttons, what you touch is metal. How thick is the metal? Who knows and who cares. The feel of leather, metal, and real wood deliver a more premium feel imo. Look at my C43 console for example. It is simple and elegant, that is what I personally look for. I like that fact that my vent controls, toggle buttons, window switches, etc are all metal finished.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...cbd139daf.jpeg