Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Audi R8 looks refreshed and sharper than ever

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-18, 07:07 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2019 Audi R8 looks refreshed and sharper than ever

The R8's fundamentals stay the same, but it gets a few performance tweaks and some aesthetic upgrades for 2019.

The Audi R8 V10 is an easy car to love. It's handsome, sounds incredible, and in supercar terms, it's relatively affordable to own, reliable and actually makes for a pretty reasonable daily driver. Audi probably could've soldiered on with the R8 as it is for a couple more years without garnering too many complaints. Not content to rest on its laurels, the company announced Tuesday that its mid-engined missile is getting some tweaks.First and foremost, that high-revving naturally-aspirated V10 isn't going anywhere. Audi promises the 2019 R8's handling is getting a little love in the form of some suspension and steering adjustments. Again, the German automaker is being pretty cagey as to what it's changing in the suspension, but the steering has been tuned to provide more feedback, and there's still an optional variable-ratio dynamic steering system.

Audi hasn't confirmed specs for the United States but in other markets output from the base V-10 jumps to 570 horsepower and 406 pound-feet of torque, up from 540 hp and 398 lb-ft currently, while the range-topping V-10 in the R8 Performance (previously an R8 Plus) sees output rise to 620 hp and 417 lb-ft, from 610 hp and 413 lb-ft currently.

Audi is bringing new drive settings to the R8, too. Specifically, it's adding dry, wet and snow settings to the car's performance mode. Frankly, we'd like to meet the maniac who is driving their R8 V10 Plus in the snow in performance mode, but since it's all-wheel drive, with a good set of snows, we wouldn't mind trying it out, either.

New lightweight 20-inch machined wheels are available as an option, 19-inch units are standard. As before, carbon-ceramic brakes are available, as one would expect on this kind of machine. Audi has also revamped the car's front splitter, making it from carbon-reinforced plastic, a change that shaves a little over 4.4 pounds from the nose of the car.Speaking of which, the nose of the R8 is now more square-looking, with some cool vents above the remodeled (and still sizable) central grille that are meant to evoke Audi's famous original Quattro model from the 1980s. Out back, there's a redesigned rear diffuser with central vent. There are also two new colors available for 2019: Ascari Blue and Kemora Gray.While none of the changes that Audi is making to either the 2019 R8 Coupe or droptop Spider are huge, the cumulative result of these small upgrades should make a great car even better. Audi will begin offering the refreshed R8 in Europe starting early next year, but for now, a company rep would only confirm to Roadshow that in our part of the world, the model "will arrive in 2019" and is "subject to a future announcement for the US market."

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/pictur...s-supercar/20/

Last edited by bagwell; 10-24-18 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-24-18, 08:16 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

It looks incredible! I love those headlights too.
Old 10-24-18, 09:49 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think Audi should treat the R8 like Porsche treats the 911, keep the same basic design and keep refining it

Love this car
Old 10-24-18, 09:57 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Looks awesome. But I really hate seeing an automatic in a car like that...
Old 10-24-18, 10:22 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Most people can't drive a manual well enough anymore to get the same efficiency out of the power output that an automatic can. Still, there is nothing like the feeling of rowing your own gears through the twisties!
Old 10-24-18, 10:38 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

R8 is cool, but I can never shake that it's just a poor man's Huracán.
Old 10-24-18, 10:48 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I was never fan of the Audi design and I hate every bit of what the VAG group did or represent to an, already fundamental extremist level. Whatever, if I try to forget that, I will say that the absence of harmony in this design is everywhere. It's difficult to describe, but it's more remembering me of a toy car of the late 80's, where the product manager had total green light from it's superior, and made the most childish offensive thing he had in mind withtout regards for esthetics. It lacks two lazers and a "Uchū Keiji Gavan" logo in the midst of the hood.

Old 10-24-18, 10:50 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Most people can't drive a manual well enough anymore to get the same efficiency out of the power output that an automatic can. Still, there is nothing like the feeling of rowing your own gears through the twisties!
Very true on all accounts!
Old 10-24-18, 10:59 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Beautiful car. I love R8's, was cruising in Supra the other day and a modded R8 came on highway punched it when coming in on on ramp I was in left lane looked over and when he saw me he let off. There was room to play too maybe next time.
Old 10-24-18, 11:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Benoit
I was never fan of the Audi design and I hate every bit of what the VAG group did or represent to an, already fundamental extremist level. Whatever, if I try to forget that, I will say that the absence of harmony in this design is everywhere. It's difficult to describe, but it's more remembering me of a toy car of the late 80's, where the product manager had total green light from it's superior, and made the most childish offensive thing he had in mind withtout regards for esthetics. It lacks two lazers and a "Uchū Keiji Gavan" logo in the midst of the hood.

i expect most people think it looks harmonious and incredible. i'm curious, what DO you like the look or otherwise of? you're relentlessly negative.

Old 10-24-18, 12:53 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

New R8 design is okay but kind of boring for a mid engined design, the original looked better in my opinion. The new NSX looks much better.
Old 10-24-18, 12:55 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
New R8 design is okay but kind of boring for a mid engined design, the original looked better in my opinion. The new NSX looks much better.
R8 looks much more interesting in comparison to the NSX. The NSX looks like a bar of used soap while the R8 has more character to its lines. For what it's worth, I'm not a fan of German cars, Audis included.
Old 10-24-18, 01:12 PM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

i expect most people think it looks harmonious and incredible. i'm curious, what DO you like the look or otherwise of? you're relentlessly negative.
Could be that most peoples think it looks harmonious. Also, lots of peoples would find a SUV attractive, what I don't do. But as said, I can't see the harmony. Whatever, in those followings, I see harmony :

https://img-4.linternaute.com/VoEyCR...te/1022183.jpg
https://www.traxio.be/media/561129/250gto_recht.jpg
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/oOzFfydm-2M/hqdefault.jpg
http://cdntbs.astonmartin.com/sitefi...3.jpg?sfvrsn=0
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f2/f8...e948db9fd1.jpg

(do you see a difference in the lines ?)
Old 10-24-18, 08:21 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
R8 is cool, but I can never shake that it's just a poor man's Huracán.
Or conversely, its a smart mans Huracan.* More-or-less the same car underneath.* Less ostentatious looks, similar performance, half the price.

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Very true on all accounts!
I think I am one of the few people of my generation (I am 33) that knows how to really drive a manual and get the most out of it. Every car is different, but when I was learning how to really drive (not at 16, but on track days at 25+ years old), I learned how to properly shift, put the power down, feather the throttle through a turn and blast out of an apex, without dying. It's an art.
Old 10-25-18, 12:38 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Hit and miss updates.
New front styling is a step in the right direction. What has always bothered me with the R8 is the crying mascara look. Big black holes right below the headlights are an odd way of housing lights. At least here, now we see Audi is finally giving them some formal bodywork all the way around.
The other design flaw of the R8 (IMO) is the shape of the hood. It is far too round and domed. This clashes with the straight-lined front and all it's sharp edges and angles. This wasn't something that stood as much on the first gen, but does so more with each crisper facelift. Interestingly, the new A5 suffers the same problem- round hood, boxy front.
The huge square boxes around the exhaust are overdone, look childish, and clash with the subdue bumper and taillights. New rim styling is overly complicated and fussy. Audi is known for simplicity and clean lines. I would hope they stick to that mantra and avoid a gimmicky look.

Quick Reply: 2019 Audi R8 looks refreshed and sharper than ever