Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cool story about Ford Oakville Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-19, 09:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Cool story about Ford Oakville Assembly

Ford Oakville Assembly off the QEW is on the way to Toronto, you cannot miss the giant plant as you head towards Toronto or the opposite way to the United States border. It is impossible to miss. Ford even has their own exit called "Ford Drive"

Anyways, there has been a defect discovered in that some Ford Endura diesels models destined for Australia/China and cannot be driven, there is an intermittent issue in that they will not start. Nothing stops the production line. So to remedy the issue, Ford is shipping the RHD models to a Ford Dealer in the Toronto area to be fixed by the dealers service bay.

A friends son who works at the Ford plant texts my husband all the time to let us know of the issue, so on the way home, we stopped to a Ford Dealer in Toronto and there they were, RHD Endura's waiting to be fixed. It was really cool to see RHD drive models next to the North American models.

I just wanted to share this story, for those who might find it interesting.
Old 02-03-19, 10:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks for the info. I was going to ask if that plant was one of the ones that will be affected by Ford's sedan-axing, but the stats show that it apparently builds only SUVs...the Ford Edge/Flex and Lincoln MKT/MKX/Nautilus.
Old 02-03-19, 10:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

No it is not. I think it is the last plant that makes Ford in Canada.
Old 02-03-19, 10:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks for the info. .
I have always been interested to know if there was any quality differences between domestic or exports. Looked pretty good to me.
Old 02-03-19, 10:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
No it is not. I think it is the last plant that makes Ford in Canada.

Correct for vehicles as a whole.....if you don't include the Essex and Windsor Engine Plants, which are both right across the river from Detroit.
Old 02-03-19, 10:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I have always been interested to know if there was any quality differences between domestic or exports. Looked pretty good to me.
Although the F-150 truck has a pretty good reputation, Ford, in general, is not known for the industry's best quality, whether domestic or export.
Old 02-03-19, 10:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Although the F-150 truck has a pretty good reputation, Ford, in general, is not known for the industry's best quality, whether domestic or export.
Just talking about Edge vs Endura. Not F150
Old 02-03-19, 03:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Just talking about Edge vs Endura. Not F150
I know. I was talking about Ford in general.

You say a friend's son works at the Oakville plant. Have you had a chance to see it in action?
Old 02-03-19, 09:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Some pics from today. I didnt take them, husband did.
Old 02-03-19, 09:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Nice pics. Your husband has either a good cell-phone camera or a good digital camera.

Interesting......a 2.0L diesel. That looks like something more likely to come from VW/Audi than Ford. But, of course, these are not North-American spec powerplants, so, yes, they are likely to be smaller than what we are used to seeing here.
Old 02-04-19, 04:32 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I always found the liters per 100 km measurement to be interesting. Think about what we use in the USA, miles per gallon. We want to know how far we can travel per a unit, but the rest of the world wants to know how much is consumed in a fixed distance.

I remember this guy Gord in our Brampton office, saying yeah mine is about 17 on the highway. As I was admiring the 295 snow tires all around, I was thinking, hey not bad, not that bad. Another mgr. goes whoa whoa that thing is a pig! I was thinking 17 mpg, but it was 17 liters per 100 km. I just calculated it into our measurement, and that's 14.12 mpg. For city yeah I think that's not bad, but he said highway. 2016 Grand Cherokee SRT.

Also I've eaten at the Baton Rouge in Oakville, a bit pricey for what it is, but I still like it. First time I ever heard of that chain was in Quebec. they had pics on the wall of Jacques Lemaire and Georges Laraque eating there.

p.s. I always thought I would get a diesel, but the fuel is expensive here and some think they are not beefy the way they used to be (where you can't kill a diesel)