Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Was going to get 2019 G63 but got loaded/modded 2019 LX570 instead

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-18, 02:25 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by john341
It been pretty clear that you have been biased to lot of other brand except Toyota/ Lexus. So your comments also is not all that important.
I like most brands. I’m on CL because I owned an IS350 and my family has always had at least one Lexus. They are fantastic cars.

I’m part of the small category in car forums that is not a fanboy of any brand, I just like them all. I currently have a Mercedes and on that forum, I have a thread dedicated to all the issues that have come up with my car in the first 6 months.

I stick out like a sore thumb here because I don’t say, “well the Lexus is more reliable or the Lexus holds its value better or the Lexus costs less to maintain.” You know as well as I do that every car comparison on this forum has one of those three lines mentioned as the deciding factor. I’m willing to deal with more headaches and cost because I want something fun.

The only brands I’m biased against are BMW (can’t stand the people that drive them) and that damn Kia Stinger that people thing is Gods greatest gift to man.

My opinion counts just as much as yours does here.
Old 10-02-18, 02:31 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TXgearhead
Just like I said in my last post. The majority of people commenting here have no idea what that are talking about, but it’s the internet, so who cares right?

The G wagon is ALL NEW. Stop comparing it to the old one. It is lighter, faster, more comfortable, more aerodynamic than the last generation. The Land Cruiser is NOT a direct competitor to the G wagon.

Why make an AMG version? Because AMG makes crazy ******, like they have been doing for years.... Not everything has to be rational. That is why Mercedes is fun. They also made a 6 wheeled monster G wagon. The AMG brand doesn’t take itself too seriously, they have fun, leave it at that.

You posting “it’s a ridiculous vehicle unless you’re in Africa..” You look silly posting that. It doesn’t have to be practical to be enjoyable. Get that out of your head. Some people want something different. By your rationale I guess supercars should only sit at the track?

You can call the G wagon a lot of things, but bland it is not. Your ES350 is bland.
Can you explain what the things that "people don't know what they are talking about" are? What specifically are you talking about?
Old 10-02-18, 03:23 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

The front end on the update looks like a cross between an FJ Cruiser and one of those British taxis. As they say though, you do you.
Old 10-02-18, 03:37 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
Can you explain what the things that "people don't know what they are talking about" are? What specifically are you talking about?
Post number 2, 4, 6, 7, and 8. How many of them do you think have actual time behind the wheel of a G wagon? Yet they are trashing it because of a YouTube video they saw 4 years ago. One of them even mentioned why make an AMG variant? Because AMG makes silly cars, they always have.

Another post about how they belong in Africa... Yep, Mercedes target market for the $150k lux SUV is Africa.

Half of those posts say that the vehicle is too old. The new model OP is looking at just launched 2 months ago..

Last edited by TXgearhead; 10-02-18 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-02-18, 03:56 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
What is the point of an AMG version of this? The shape is anti aerodynamics. All that resistance, it's just a status symbol if that's what you're going for but other than that. I find it a ridiculous vehicle unless you live in Kenya and take it out to the Serengeti to look at lions.
B/c, even though I will very rarely use it off-road I do sometimes have the need for one when we go camping. And the point of the AMG version, well there is no point for any AMG version if you are not looking for a more powerful and much luxurious version. Based on that way of thinking , we all should be driving around cars with 150hp with cloth seats, I really do mean no offence, but that is just my opinion.

Originally Posted by shadow1118
OP if you want an SUV w/ "performance" get a turbo cayenne it goes 0-60 in 3.9 sec. Your not going offroading are you?
I need a big trunk and besides that, I don't like the look of any of those performance SUV's, ie Urus Lamborghini. Not to mention that most are very small cars.

Originally Posted by signdetres
The new G63 is so badass. I'd rock it in a heartbeat. We had an ML63 that we almost traded in on a G55 (I don't think G63s existed yet) but didn't after test driving it. It made our already very stiff ML63 feel like our S-Class and the difference in performance/handling was noticeably worse. With this new model, most of those points should have been addressed and it should make an excellent all-rounder. Please share pics if you pick one up!
Yeah, which is the reason I have stayed away up until now. This all new version with new suspension and interior is completely different.

Don’t listen to the uninformed poster above me. Posting only what he heard and no actual experience in one. Just another MB hater, there are plenty of them here.

I worked for Benz for a number of years. My customers that bought the G63 would not ever change to a different SUV. The new G63 is faster, quieter, and more comfortable than the older model. It feels like you are driving a small tank more than an SUV. Get it! It’s a unique vehicle, there really isn’t anything else for sale like it.

One thing to keep in mind, rear legroom is still somewhat limited on the new G63.
From what I can tell, the leg in the rear is bigger than the LX. I think it is 39 inches for the G63 and 34 inches for the LX. Thanks for the advice BTW.

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
LOL I love MB. E63s AMG wagon or sedan. What I know about the G is it was designed for the Swiss Army and can be up to its wheel wells in water, but is expensive, not attractive, and unreliable. That's not hate, but it is very Kardashian. I didn't spend much time behind the wheel but I attended an event that had them, think it was Morristown NJ.

https://jalopnik.com/this-brand-new-...thi-1616856560
That is the old one. Completely different car. Thanks
Originally Posted by john341
It been pretty clear that you have been biased to lot of other brand except Toyota/ Lexus. So your comments also is not all that important.
Actually, from what I can tell, he is pretty much on the money, I was just hoping that even in this early stage that someone may have some experience with this car. Cheers
Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Nice choice. I think Toyota ruined the Lx with the last refresh. Those 21” rims. Remote touch ugh. At least they left the Land Cruiser mostly alone
Yeah, I have to aggree there. But, I like Lexus seats better than Benz, that is the only thing I would really miss in the Lexus, which is pretty big when that is what you sit in. But I can't stand how much of a slug the car is and I guess it does not help when I drive the S63 on weekdays.
Old 10-02-18, 04:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
I have decided to get rid of the 2016 model LX 570 as it just is so slow and uninteresting, although I do love the interior. Looks like it will be about 30K less than the S63, which I am upgrading to the latest minor change model. So has anyone else have experience with this car before I pull the trigger (Which will be next week BTW)?

Which means I will be full Benz and not one Lexus.........Unfortunately.
looks like a lot of fun, go for it...

as to the size, i thought trunk is much smaller? But does anyone need LX sized trunk?

Old 10-02-18, 04:29 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Ahhh. The G-Wagon. The car only MB can make and get away with it.

Can you imagine any other luxury brand making a vehicle like the G-Wagon? It'll get laughed at.

I love MB but the G-Wagon, in my opinion, its a joke of a car. It cost too much for what it is.
Old 10-02-18, 06:47 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
looks like a lot of fun, go for it...

as to the size, i thought trunk is much smaller? But does anyone need LX sized trunk?
Yeah, the trunk is a little bit smaller, but I can live with that.

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Ahhh. The G-Wagon. The car only MB can make and get away with it.

Can you imagine any other luxury brand making a vehicle like the G-Wagon? It'll get laughed at.

I love MB but the G-Wagon, in my opinion, its a joke of a car. It cost too much for what it is.
Not sure I understand that??? I would be interested as to why you say that, b/c then you have to say that about all AMG models.
  • It has basically the S63 interior
  • It has all the safety of the S-Class and S63
  • It has the same tuned Engine as the AMG GTR
  • The new model rides a hell of a lot better due to the complete redesign of the chassis and suspension
So basically it is the same as an the same as the other high end AMG models with a different body which mind you all start around the same price except an AMG GTR and S63.

As for the look of the car, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I hardly see this car being less for the money than any other AMG starting at E-Class level.
Old 10-02-18, 07:34 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts

You can call the G wagon a lot of things, but bland it is not. Your ES350 is bland.

TXgearhead, knock off making this a rude personal conversation or do not post. You've started a trend of this and it needs to end now please.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-02-18 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-02-18, 11:59 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Not sure I understand that??? I would be interested as to why you say that, b/c then you have to say that about all AMG models.
  • It has basically the S63 interior
  • It has all the safety of the S-Class and S63
  • It has the same tuned Engine as the AMG GTR
  • The new model rides a hell of a lot better due to the complete redesign of the chassis and suspension
So basically it is the same as an the same as the other high end AMG models with a different body which mind you all start around the same price except an AMG GTR and S63.

As for the look of the car, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I hardly see this car being less for the money than any other AMG starting at E-Class level.
Actually no - it doesn't have the same interior as the S63 or the S-Class. The S-Class interior is more refined and thought through. The G63 interior looks cheap compared to the S63.

Just because the G63 has an AMG engine - doesn't mean its an AMG car. The G63 is nothing compared to the "legit" AMGs that actually perform and has a track purpose.
And besides - the problem with the G-Wagon isn't because it has an AMG engine. The problem with the G-Wagon is that its pretty much a car that tells people you are rich rather than being a good car. If any other car company made a car like the G-Wagon, it would never sell. The only reason the G-Wagon sells is because of Hollywood and because its a MB.
Old 10-03-18, 01:10 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Actually no - it doesn't have the same interior as the S63 or the S-Class. The S-Class interior is more refined and thought through. The G63 interior looks cheap compared to the S63.

Just because the G63 has an AMG engine - doesn't mean its an AMG car. The G63 is nothing compared to the "legit" AMGs that actually perform and has a track purpose.
And besides - the problem with the G-Wagon isn't because it has an AMG engine. The problem with the G-Wagon is that its pretty much a car that tells people you are rich rather than being a good car. If any other car company made a car like the G-Wagon, it would never sell. The only reason the G-Wagon sells is because of Hollywood and because its a MB.
You do realize I am talking about the new 2019 G63 don't you?
It has the exact same front seats as a S63, leather on just about as much surface as the S63 and considering I drive an S63 6 days of the week when I saw the G63 I did not see much difference, it is a distinct AMG interior. Sure things are placed differently, but they are two completely different cars. There is no way you could have a similar cockpit in the G63 as the S63.

I never realized that a "Legit AMG" was a track car, from what I can recall AMG was all about straight line power and burning rubber. It has only been recently that they made cars that can go around corners and if you wanted a sedan that could do that you bout a M3. And if that is the case ,the only "Legit AMG" would be the GTR and maybe the C63, everything else is not a track car. The G63 "Performs" fine at what is designed for, to be used on and off road. And BTW the G63 is faster to 60 than a C43 AMG. So... there is that.

And finally, I would love to hear what you call a "good car"?

Now, the reason I am buying AMG's is absolutely not b/c I am going to take it to the track.
I like them b/c
  • They have ample amounts of power
  • They sound great
  • They have great interiors with a good sound system
  • And b/c they serve the purpose that I need them for
The G63 is no different, it functions as good road car and when needed can also be taken off road. I fail to see how that makes it a bad car???
Old 10-03-18, 03:41 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 399 Likes on 271 Posts

To the OP, sounds like you have made up your mind and have good reason for getting the G63. As a fellow LX owner, sad to see you go but I hope you get it and love it. The G wagon has a presence that very few vehicles on the road have - and there's no way you'd get the grin on your face like you see from the guys in the video when accelerating in your LX on a winding road... Post pics if/when you get it.
Old 10-03-18, 04:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,643 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow1118
G-series is also played out and way to common.
way to[o] common huh?

yeah i see g wagons all over town all the time.
Old 10-03-18, 05:30 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 799 Likes on 558 Posts

I think OP should just get a helicopter and call it a day

I think the new G is a great choice as long as you post pics after you take delivery!
Old 10-03-18, 05:33 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

lot of other SUVs that I would buy long before this but the choices arent there for Japan.

Quick Reply: Was going to get 2019 G63 but got loaded/modded 2019 LX570 instead