Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Saw the UX in the Flesh...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-18, 11:51 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

The Mazda CX3 has a much more upscale design inside and out.....probably at least $10k cheaper too.
This UX thing is hideous.
Old 09-17-18, 03:08 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

given the wonderful choice with the gun to the head, i'd take the ct. not sure your point? Like me asking you would you, gun to the head, would you drink a full glass of spoiled milk or pure alcohol?
You said

i sure wouldn't be caught dead in a CT
Finding if there was a worse car. Looks like we found one.

Hmm pure alcohol I guess
Old 09-17-18, 03:00 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I'm tired of seeing crossovers everywhere but the UX looks alright. I'm a big fan of the refreshed NX so this should be a good entry car and be a big seller. I would never buy one though.

I'll get to see one next week for a Leus training event. I'm interested in seeing it up close in person.
Old 09-17-18, 06:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I'm tired of seeing crossovers everywhere but the UX looks alright. I'm a big fan of the refreshed NX so this should be a good entry car and be a big seller. I would never buy one though.

I'll get to see one next week for a Leus training event. I'm interested in seeing it up close in person.
In US, it is hard to see UX being popular since hybrid is going to be like $35k, while NX300 is $37k? You really do get a lot more of the car.

However keep in mind both taxes and cities in Europe, Japan and parts of Asia.

Here people actually buy smaller car due to size and UX is considered mid-sized. Rav4 is already considered big and Highlander is so huge that it is not even offered.

And then we talk price... difference between UX and NX in Europe is $8k-12k, depending on country and taxes. That is quite large difference attracting completely different set of buyers.
Old 09-18-18, 07:34 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
aside: respectfully, i'm someone who doesn't even get the idea of a 'daily' to keep the 'good car' for non-daily use or supposedly save on gas, etc. i don't believe it saves hardly any money overall and i don't get driving something not really desired just to supposedly save money. i sure wouldn't be caught dead in a CT (cramped, not quiet, not luxurious, slow as a slug).
I understand one would want to drive the car they love everyday but factor in terrible pot-hole roads, salt, snow, rock chips, and stop-and-go traffic... imagine the RC F as my daily...
Old 09-18-18, 07:46 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by spwolf
In US, it is hard to see UX being popular since hybrid is going to be like $35k, while NX300 is $37k? You really do get a lot more of the car.

However keep in mind both taxes and cities in Europe, Japan and parts of Asia.

Here people actually buy smaller car due to size and UX is considered mid-sized. Rav4 is already considered big and Highlander is so huge that it is not even offered.

And then we talk price... difference between UX and NX in Europe is $8k-12k, depending on country and taxes. That is quite large difference attracting completely different set of buyers.
Agree. UX will not be a volume car in the US. No mention of projections, but I'm thinking we should still see a decent 2k units/month in line with the competition. NX should not be impacted and remain at 4-4.5k and RX double that.
Old 09-19-18, 10:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Finding if there was a worse car. Looks like we found one.
i was more consistent than i thought. i said i wouldn't be found dead in a ct, so taking it rather than being shot with the gun to my head ensures i wouldn't be dead in the CT.

Old 09-19-18, 01:49 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Lexus needs to stop being so conservative in the powertrain dept. Shove the 2.5L in there for goodness sakes.
Old 09-19-18, 04:49 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I just finished training on the UX. It looks pretty up close. The car is way too small for my taste but it rides smooth. The driver seat is fine but I spent a lot of time in the back seat and it was a nightmare. The trunk is small too.

We drove the competitors’ cars as well including the BMW X1, Mercedes, GLA, and the small Volvo crossover. The UX feels way underpowered compared to the others but it was the smoothest ride. The BMW X1 was the most fun to drive. The others were nice. The X1 and UX were my favorites of the bunch.

Lexus is confident the car will sell well. I’m sure the car will do okay in terms of sales. I think the vehicles in this segment are too small though.
Old 09-19-18, 09:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

thanks for awesome first hand candid feedback.
Old 09-19-18, 09:29 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Agree. UX will not be a volume car in the US. No mention of projections, but I'm thinking we should still see a decent 2k units/month in line with the competition. NX should not be impacted and remain at 4-4.5k and RX double that.
Technically the UX was designed to replace the CT and be the volume leader for the brand. I see that as happening, but maybe not as much as the CT did. The CT was so under-achieving, Lexus had to give them away, which actually worked. They sold well after their expiration date because one could get into the luxury brand for around $30k or $270/mo.. If the US has trouble selling them, I bet Lexus will do the exact same thing and offer a dirt cheap lease like the CT had. This car has to move in numbers and put the brand on the map for the next generation.
Old 09-20-18, 10:13 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ugly with a plasticky cabin.

I had an NX loaner a year ago and there was literally nothing luxurious about the interior. Hard plastics, no wood, and fake leather. My 5-year old IS is a real Lexus in comparison. This UX will be even worse than the NX. But the badge chasers are happy with it I guess.
Old 09-20-18, 12:59 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Technically the UX was designed to replace the CT and be the volume leader for the brand. I see that as happening, but maybe not as much as the CT did. The CT was so under-achieving, Lexus had to give them away, which actually worked. They sold well after their expiration date because one could get into the luxury brand for around $30k or $270/mo.. If the US has trouble selling them, I bet Lexus will do the exact same thing and offer a dirt cheap lease like the CT had. This car has to move in numbers and put the brand on the map for the next generation.
The UX will sell in decent numbers just because it is a crossover. It will still be underachieving, just in the powertrain dept alone, but it will sell anyways.
Old 09-20-18, 01:11 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Ugly with a plasticky cabin.

I had an NX loaner a year ago and there was literally nothing luxurious about the interior. Hard plastics, no wood, and fake leather. My 5-year old IS is a real Lexus in comparison. This UX will be even worse than the NX. But the badge chasers are happy with it I guess.
Odd. I have an IS (only 2 years old) and found the NX to be similar in interior quality to my IS. Of course, noise and general refinement were a bit worse in the NX. But if you just sit in the interior, I think it's fine. Of course my loaner was just about fully loaded. Seemed to have heated and ventilated seats, Mark Levinson, heated steering wheel, etc. Maybe you had a base model.
Old 09-20-18, 05:12 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Kira X
I just finished training on the UX. It looks pretty up close. The car is way too small for my taste but it rides smooth. The driver seat is fine but I spent a lot of time in the back seat and it was a nightmare. The trunk is small too.

We drove the competitors’ cars as well including the BMW X1, Mercedes, GLA, and the small Volvo crossover. The UX feels way underpowered compared to the others but it was the smoothest ride. The BMW X1 was the most fun to drive. The others were nice. The X1 and UX were my favorites of the bunch.

Lexus is confident the car will sell well. I’m sure the car will do okay in terms of sales. I think the vehicles in this segment are too small though.
Nice honest feedback thanks! Yours probably had AVS? Reviews are favorable on the ride quality (AVS-equipped) vs non-AVS.

On another note, the UXh's cargo capacity is small. I measured the floor-to-ceiling height at under 21 inches (while for comparison, the NX is 26 and RX 30). However, found a pic of the non-hybrid cargo and clearly has a deeper floor by about 3 - 3.5". This explains the rather decent 22 cu ft for the fwd model vs the hybrid's smallish 17 cu ft.

Quick Reply: Saw the UX in the Flesh...