Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick owners will be able to pay for their gas in their car

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-18, 10:27 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Buick owners will be able to pay for their gas in their car

The service will initially be available to use at 11,000 Exxon and Mobil stations in the U.S.By Daniel Rufiange , 2018-08-09
Read more at https://www.auto123.com/en/news/buic...F4IABbKlyzr.99

General Motors launched its Marketplace service in December 2017, allowing businesses to be present within vehicles’ multimedia system. Consumers can if they wish make purchases on their car’s screen.

We should point out that for the moment, this system is not offered in Canada. It’s only a matter of time before it makes it way here and allows Canadian consumers the same conveniences.

The newest update made to the system by GM will allow customers at gas stations to pay for their gasoline directly on their Buick vehicle’s multimedia screen, via an ExxonMobil app.

Concretely, here’s how it will work. The driver of a Buick vehicle shows up at the gas station to fill up the tank. From their multimedia screen, they select the ExxonMobil app and indicate the pump number that they’re parked at, then confirm the payment. The app will automatically identify which gas station they’re at, and even synchronize points if the driver has a points card.

Obviously, the driver will have had to create a Marketplace account beforehand and entered into payment-card information.

GM has not yet specified which Buick models will get the technology, but we can assume it will be restricted to new products or high-end variants of existing models, for instance the Avenir editions.

We can also assume other of the GM group’s makes will incorporate the technology before too long.

So, hopefully, will models sold in Canada.

Read more at https://www.auto123.com/en/news/buic...F4IABbKlyzr.99
Old 09-08-18, 10:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I don't see the point in this.
Old 09-08-18, 10:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Thanks for posting. Interesting program, but probably not for me, for three reasons. First, I use Shell 87 Octane, not Exxon or Mobil, because of Shell's excellent reputation for quality detergents in the fuel. Chevron, with its Technoline detergent additive, is also excellent, but, for some reason, moved out of the D.C. Virginia suburbs several years ago, and doesn't sell gas here any more. Second, I get regular discounts on Shell gas from the local Giant Food grocery chain (which IMO is also an excellent grocery-chain) from using the Giant Bonus card...in addition to a further 2% cash back on gas purchases from my bank's credit card. Third, I don't like to screw around with apps....I pay, at the pumps, with my credit card and Giant bonus cards.
Old 09-08-18, 10:57 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 447 Posts

Never left home without your wallet?

That’s where something like this has value.
Old 09-08-18, 11:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
Never left home without your wallet?

That’s where something like this has value.
Really? How often does this happen while you are low on gas?
Old 09-08-18, 11:59 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Both parents started and retired with Chevron so I might be a little biased when I say, ExxonMobil ewww
Old 09-08-18, 01:12 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Really? How often does this happen while you are low on gas?
No one plans to forget their wallet, Jill, no one plans to lose it, and, I have to think, no one plans to be robbed or mugged.

But these things can and do happen to all us.

This just provides an extra option. Assuming, of course, that no one stole your keys too... Either way, it’s offered as a convenience. No one is forcing anyone to sign up for the service...

Last edited by swajames; 09-08-18 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-08-18, 01:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

No one plans to forget their wallet, Jill, no one plans to lose it, and, I have to think, no one plans to be robbed or mugged.

This just provides an extra option. Assuming, of course, that no one stole your keys too... Either way, it’s offered as a convenience. No one is forcing anyone to sign up for the service...
I hear ya. I just think one could hide $75 in the trunk of ones car for any such emergency. I am assuming one has to pay a monthly subscription for this feature.
Old 09-08-18, 02:10 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure either -- but gas station credit card swipers are notorious for scammers to be able to add a reader onto the pump to steal your CC number. Most CC companies won't make you pay the $50 max if there is a fraudulent charge on your account.

But--to pay in your car, when you still have to get out and pump is of limited value. It would be good in NJ for full serve.

Personally, I'd rather see gas stations invest in allowing payment by Apple Pay. I see more value in that tech.
Old 09-08-18, 02:12 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

I hear ya. I just think one could hide $75 in the trunk of ones car for any such emergency. I am assuming one has to pay a monthly subscription for this feature.
There are some stations that don't take cash anymore. I belong to Sam's Club--you MUST pay by CC.
Old 09-08-18, 02:14 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Ripped from today's headlines:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/30/us/ph...uit/index.html

Old 09-09-18, 11:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,762 Likes on 1,972 Posts

I don't see the point either. You're still going to have to get out of the car and pump the gas, unless you live in NJ or OR, and then you're going to have to convince the attendant that you already paid. All modern gas pumps have sensors for ApplePay etc, thats what I use, just pull my phone out of my pocket and boom, gas is paid for.
Old 09-09-18, 12:52 PM
Corey140
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
All modern gas pumps have sensors for ApplePay etc, thats what I use, just pull my phone out of my pocket and boom, gas is paid for.
Not really. Wawa might have you spoiled in the Mid-Atlantic.

I haven't had the chance to use Tap and Pay at the pump yet here in GA. One local station, Speedway has the pads but they are not activated. Same for Costco.
Old 09-09-18, 12:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,762 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Originally Posted by Corey140
Not really. Wawa might have you spoiled in the Mid-Atlantic.

I haven't had the chance to use Tap and Pay at the pump yet here in GA. One local station, Speedway has the pads but they are not activated. Same for Costco.
I don't use Wawa (we don't have any here locally, more common up near Baltimore, etc). Most of the pumps I use though have an ApplePay reader. Shell, Exxon, Sunoco etc.
Old 09-09-18, 08:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,645 Posts

for one thing, it should be more secure. TONS of people deal with the hassle of their credit card being ripped off via 'skimmers' installed on gas stations by crooks. the in car payment system would eliminate that problem.

Quick Reply: Buick owners will be able to pay for their gas in their car