Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What happens to senior drivers (or should)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-18, 05:51 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default What happens to senior drivers (or should)

My position is I want to drive to the end. Who doesn't? But what's the reality?

Now that I have a dash cam there is so much going on, in my mind I want to replay 6:58, 7:15, 7:32, etc.etc. So much illegal and bad driving all recorded by my trusty cam.

As I neared work, I saw 5 cop cars, a fire truck, and a single vehicle driven by an elderly woman.

Just yesterday, my mom told me she went to an AARP sponsored driver class, because it's a 5% discount on insurance. It's not that often, but my mom had me rolling.

One person shouted, "I want my money back, I can't even hear anything you're saying!"

Another person, "Give me cookies! We were promised a snack!"

Yet another person, "I want my certificate now! I'm not getting any younger, this is taking too long!"

My mom was laughing uncontrollably, I thought it was hilarious, all this going down at the local public library.

But on a serious note, we are sharing the road with the folks above.

Also, since my neighbor told me his 2017 Nissan was costing him $1400, and his 1998 Mercury $1300, I was thinking huh? Does it cost more to insure cars for seniors? My mom says yes, she believes at around age 65, rates go up, because really "we" become like teen drivers....I just wonder if I am being naive thinking I'll be driving when I'm 80 and hopefully even past that...
Old 08-29-18, 05:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

In Ontario, once you hit the age of 80 you have to pass the written test again.

I would argue that most senior drivers are superior drivers to the younger ones on the road.
Old 08-29-18, 06:05 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

Speaking generally, younger drivers cause issues on the road because they drive too fast and make poor decisions (inexperience). Older drivers cause issues on the road because they drive to slow and make poor decisions (because of failing senses). That said, younger drivers tend to get better as they get older. Older drivers tend to get worse as they get older

With regards to what should happen - I think doctors should be stricter on reporting patient if they are unable to pass basic vision or hearing tests
Old 08-29-18, 08:32 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
Speaking generally, younger drivers cause issues on the road because they drive too fast and make poor decisions (inexperience). Older drivers cause issues on the road because they drive to slow and make poor decisions (because of failing senses). That said, younger drivers tend to get better as they get older. Older drivers tend to get worse as they get older

With regards to what should happen - I think doctors should be stricter on reporting patient if they are unable to pass basic vision or hearing tests
This sounds about right. The problem is I figure when I am around 65, that's when I will be deciding what to leave to my only son (he's only 4 1/2 now), and I do plan on spending something, it's not all for him. I have visions of hey if I think it's ok to get a E63s AMG or equivalent, and brand new makes sense (kid will get it someday), then I will open the pocketbook wide. But now if you say my insurance is 1.5X or 2X at 65, that really stinks.....I don't consider 65 to be that old, but again who knows about reflexes and all that stuff changing...

edit I can see the live for today a little bit....if insurance is doubled, and reflexes are down, what good is the E63s at age 65? There has to be a sweeter spot, maybe 55, when a person can enjoy the vehicle more, and the insurance is still reasonable....the way I see it there is no question that $120k in 2018 dollars is getting spent on a new car, question is when does it make sense, haven't decided. maybe 55

edit 2 heck what if a person gets their pension early say 53 and blows it entirely on a car (because it's not as much as people who are retired today, neighbor gets about 5k/mo., some police officers are 8k/mo, we're not talking that kind of figure, we're talking about a grand or so). That pension money is free, always will be, the only possible mistake is that it should have been saved for necessities, or, it's taxable

Last edited by Johnhav430; 08-29-18 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-29-18, 08:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You’re insurance will be far lower. At 65 you will be more mature and you will drive less. Older folks are better drivers.
Old 08-29-18, 10:19 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

And what is your definition of 'older'? Because I was stuck behind an old retiree yesterday going 35 in a 55 on a 4 lane highway (2 in each direction) and that is just as dangerous as the teenage driver going 75 in the 55
Old 08-29-18, 10:38 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

^^ amen to that
Old 08-29-18, 10:43 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You’re insurance will be far lower. At 65 you will be more mature and you will drive less. Older folks are better drivers.

We had to take my mother's car and license away 2-3 years ago (in her early 80s at the time) - not a fun thing but was becoming a danger to herself and to others. Her car had many scars and scrapes that she didn't know the source... police came to her house one day when she'd bumped another car at the Kroger drive through and driven away, didn't even know she'd hit it. She was regularly getting lost driving to familiar places, driving over curbs in parking lots, etc.

It's person dependent, just like it is for teens. They are not automatically better drivers because of age and wisdom.. older folks can have serious issues and be a danger with limits to eyesight, diminished mental capacity and slow reflexes.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-29-18 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-29-18, 11:12 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
We had to take my mother's car and license away 2-3 years ago (in her early 80s at the time) - not a fun thing but was becoming a danger to herself and to others. Her car had many scars and scrapes that she didn't know the source... police came to her house one day when she'd bumped another car at the Kroger drive through and driven away, didn't even know she'd hit it. She was regularly getting lost driving to familiar places, driving over curbs in parking lots, etc.
Agreed with this. Both of my father-in-law's mirrors are cracked from pulling in/out of the garage at low speeds. My grandfather gave up his own license at 82, when he stopped 8 feet past the stop line at an intersection with a 4-way stop. He at least had the presence of mind to realize that if he couldn't stop at a stop sign in a residential neighborhood, he probably shouldn't be driving.

More generally, 58% of all "unintended acceleration" accidents involve drivers over the age of 60, despite the fact that this age group constitutes well under a quarter of the driving population. Now I will grant that older drivers are somewhat less likely to get into high-speed collisions where the risk of death or serious injury is high.
Old 08-29-18, 11:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4

It's person dependent, just like it is for teens. They are not automatically better drivers because of age and wisdom.. older folks can have serious issues and be a danger with limits to eyesight, diminished mental capacity and slow reflexes.
I agree. However, for the most part. Seniors are not going to drive as much, drive as much at peak times, drive as much at night, have more experience, and are generally a little more relaxed. The demographics of who would be the safest drivers, likely would edge towards seniors. 65-79. But past 80s, YMMV.

Do you agree?
Old 08-29-18, 11:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
And what is your definition of 'older'? Because I was stuck behind an old retiree yesterday going 35 in a 55 on a 4 lane highway (2 in each direction) and that is just as dangerous as the teenage driver going 75 in the 55
I am sure there are examples of this in every demographic. My definition of older would be 65-75ish.
Old 08-29-18, 11:21 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

It would be great if insurance did not go up, but my mom stated she thinks it went up when she was about 65. And based on my neighbor, he's paying a ton relative to us. 1998 Mercury, no collision nor comp, $1,300/yr? Of course I am assuming clean record, but without collision, even an accident has less effect. It's all going back to my wife's bff's older brother, who retired at 53. He said even though his benefits were reduced, in his mind well worth it, because time is more valuable than money, from his perspective....at some point...to be decided by the individual...
Old 08-29-18, 11:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

http://mentalfloss.com/article/92289/millennials-not-teens-are-most-dangerous-drivers

Here is a good article.
Old 08-29-18, 11:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I would argue that most senior drivers are superior drivers to the younger ones on the road.
Depends on how much of their reflexes and co-ordination they have lost over the years. Those who have retained them, yes, are usually better drivers than teen-agers, simply because of their age and wisdom, not taking foolish chances like some young people. But seniors can get to the point where they (momentarily) forget the difference between the celebrator and brake pedals...and that means trouble.

Old 08-29-18, 11:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

perhaps Johnhav430, you should also start threads like:
"what happens to young drivers (or should)?"
"what happens to aggressive millennial drivers (or should)?"
"what happens to a-hole middle aged drivers (or should)?"
the list goes on...

but you picked on elderly drivers. i'm sure your webcam will pick up bad driving by every age.

Quick Reply: What happens to senior drivers (or should)