Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Out with the RX, in with the Q7

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-18, 09:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,762 Likes on 1,972 Posts

One of the best riding crossovers/SUVs IMHO.
Old 08-21-18, 04:43 PM
evident
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

We'll be behind you in a few years. With twins on the way the wife wants an excuse to upgrade the 07 RX350, but not to the Q7. we're looking at the Mercedes GLS
Old 08-21-18, 05:30 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 559 Posts

Congrats! I really like the Q7 and the XC90 in this segment, but you really can't go wrong with that Audi 3.0T!
Old 08-21-18, 06:06 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
We'll be behind you in a few years. With twins on the way the wife wants an excuse to upgrade the 07 RX350, but not to the Q7. we're looking at the Mercedes GLS
We actually didn't even look at the GLS or GLE. For reasons that are completely opaque to me, my wife doesn't like Mercedes at all. I checked them out at the auto show last year and thought it was super comfortable, but I haven't driven either.

Originally Posted by Allen K
Congrats! I really like the Q7 and the XC90 in this segment, but you really can't go wrong with that Audi 3.0T!
We liked the XC90 also, but preferred the Q7 overall, and since we're keeping long term, the exceptionally poor early reliability on the Volvo worried us. But yes, the engine is a sweetheart. The power comes on so easily, and It's hard to believe how much faster it is than the RX350, despite having another half ton to lug around.
Old 08-21-18, 06:09 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 559 Posts

Good call. I haven't checked Swedespeed in about a year,but there were a lot of complaints from the T5 through the T8 and I can't imagine the 4 banger is going to handle such a heavy car well over the long term.
Old 08-21-18, 06:17 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice upgrade, have always been a fan of the Q7.
Old 08-21-18, 06:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,762 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
Congrats on your twins, I have 3.5 year old twins.

Get a minivan.

I'm not kidding. Our minivans have been the best vehicle purchases I have ever made. Loading the kids in and unloading them with the sliding doors is so much easier than having to open both doors in parking lots, etc...especially when one of you is out with the twins alone. When I take our twins somewhere in the Lexus, or my wife does...the rear doors are a HUGE PITA vs the sliding doors on the van.

Once they're like 6 or 7 we'll go back to a nice SUV, but for now I wouldn't even swap you for a new GLS vs my Pacifica.
Old 08-23-18, 07:13 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

My wife's morning commute is averaging a surprisingly-good 23 mpg (according to the OBC anyway), with a little expressway but mostly stop-and-go driving. 21 mpg on the way home, which takes about 20 minutes longer due to heavier traffic. Her old RX struggled to get above 17mpg. Very impressive given that it's 25% heavier with 25% more power.
Old 08-23-18, 07:27 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Good call. I haven't checked Swedespeed in about a year,but there were a lot of complaints from the T5 through the T8 and I can't imagine the 4 banger is going to handle such a heavy car well over the long term.
Back when I was a kid, I dreamed of all the stuff these guys had for sale (200s were my thing, owned 3 of them). It's great to see they are still around and have survived.

https://www.ipdusa.com/
Old 08-23-18, 07:59 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Q7 is a very polished and high-tech piece of machinery, befitting of the Audi badge. Congrats!
Old 08-23-18, 09:20 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 401 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Congrats on your twins, I have 3.5 year old twins.

Get a minivan.

I'm not kidding. Our minivans have been the best vehicle purchases I have ever made. Loading the kids in and unloading them with the sliding doors is so much easier than having to open both doors in parking lots, etc...especially when one of you is out with the twins alone. When I take our twins somewhere in the Lexus, or my wife does...the rear doors are a HUGE PITA vs the sliding doors on the van.

Once they're like 6 or 7 we'll go back to a nice SUV, but for now I wouldn't even swap you for a new GLS vs my Pacifica.
We have twins as well and have found the LX to be our vehicle of choice since they were about 2 (several years ago). My wife was completely opposed to the idea of a minivan which was fine by me, so we went the large SUV route and love the LX. We've never owned a minivan so don't know much difference - kinda like having twins without having any other kids first... you don't have a frame of reference so you just go with it.
Old 08-23-18, 09:23 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 401 Likes on 273 Posts

Random question to the OP about the Q7 - one thing I noticed after riding in one and running errands for several days was the height of the rear gate when it opened was a problem for me. I'm 6'1 and I almost poked my eye on the corner of the gate at least 3 times. Apparently I'm a slow learner as you would think it would only take once.. I had to duck to access anything out of the rear cargo area which is different for me as we own an LX. It has been several years since I've shopped around for an SUV and our LX570 rear gate height is quite a bit higher/taller than the Q7. Is it an issue for you?
Old 08-23-18, 09:34 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Random question to the OP about the Q7 - one thing I noticed after riding in one and running errands for several days was the height of the rear gate when it opened was a problem for me. I'm 6'1 and I almost poked my eye on the corner of the gate at least 3 times. Apparently I'm a slow learner as you would think it would only take once.. I had to duck to access anything out of the rear cargo area which is different for me as we own an LX. It has been several years since I've shopped around for an SUV and our LX570 rear gate height is quite a bit higher/taller than the Q7. Is it an issue for you?
No, it's not an issue at all. The height is actually completely adjustable. When we first test drove it, it was a little too low, and if I walked upright into it I would bump my forehead--I'm 6'4". Bending naturally to grab something would not have been a problem, only if you walk straight in. But the salesman showed us that you just have to push it up to your desired height--we pushed it all the way up--then hold the close button on the hatch for 5 seconds until it beeps. Thereafter, it always opens to that position. I have loads of headroom when working in the cargo area now.

Per this youtube video:
The 1st generation had this feature as well. I'm guessing the one you were in had been set lower. Notice how the admittedly relatively short woman has to get way up on her toes and stretch to pull it down to the level she eventually sets it at.

Last edited by geko29; 08-23-18 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-23-18, 01:39 PM
my808lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Congrats!

Congratulations on your new car. I previously owned a 3GS and 4GS but have switched allegiance to Audi. I replaced my 2013 GS to a 2017 A7 and 2018 Q7 (for wife). The Q7 interior is beautiful and the ride is smooth. Audi reliability is not like what most people think. I have both cars for years now and I have not had a single isssue including small electrical issues. Although Lexus will always have a spot in my heart, I feel that they are falling behind in many aspects and I am not talking about old engines. LED signals was not avail in my 2013 GS and to this day, I think lexus still has the connecting Christmas lights LED, saved for the LS. I do hope they continue the GS and push it forward to compete with the Germans!

Last edited by my808lexus; 08-23-18 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Pic
Old 08-23-18, 02:41 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

geko29 - Just curious, what was the MSRP on a well equipped model like yours? I personally like the Q7 but my wife didn't care for it so we didn't look at them when we were looking for a new SUV this past April but I am curious what I could have gotten one for. I still wish I leased a S3 over my IS350 but my wife didn't care for the S3. Thankfully our IS350 lease is up next summer so I can start car shopping again for something better. I would love to get into an Audi if their lease rates work out when I am ready.

Quick Reply: Out with the RX, in with the Q7