Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Chevrolet Malibu RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-18, 04:09 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 190 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
You are an auto expert. You should know what dumpy-butt refers to. And I've explained it per your request several times.
Well for those of us that are new to the party could you please explain because I am terrified to google it haha
Old 08-20-18, 08:33 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by sivikvtec
Rented a Malibu about a year ago. If anybody tries to tell you there's no such thing as a bad new car anymore, I reccommend having them take a test drive. Made me embarrassed to be American.
Lol. I need to rent one too so Doug Demuro can review it in the most ridiculous format.
Old 08-20-18, 08:52 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Is chevy the first to put the emblem of their model on the side?
Old 08-20-18, 10:04 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

And the only place you will be seeing these is in rental fleets or church parking lots in the Midwest. Chevy should follow Ford and abandon sedans. Just not their forte!
Old 08-20-18, 10:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS
And the only place you will be seeing these is in rental fleets or church parking lots in the Midwest. Chevy should follow Ford and abandon sedans. Just not their forte!

IMO not true at all. I can't speak for the whole country, but they sell quite well here in the D.C. area. Have you driven one?....the Malibu is quite nice car, though, granted, CAFE standards have forced a more-or-less Mickey Mouse base engine for it.
Old 08-20-18, 10:31 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
IMO not true at all. I can't speak for the whole country, but they sell quite well here in the D.C. area. Have you driven one?....the Malibu is quite nice car, though, granted, CAFE standards have forced a more-or-less Mickey Mouse base engine for it.
The ones I see here in Southern California are always rentals. I haven't driven one, so cannot comment on that aspect. Maybe in other parts of the country, these are the equivalent of the Camry here in Southern California. Every other car on the road seems to be one.
Old 08-29-18, 10:58 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default 2019 Chevrolet Malibu RS First Drive Review

While it debuted in 2015 as a 2016 model, the Malibufelt a bit old when it was brand new. A few years later, this refreshed Malibu — and the RS trim level, specifically, which is new to the nameplate — seems like it's fresh out of an alternate universe, where sedan sales were healthy enough to support a bunch of backmarkers. Remember, Ford is killing the Fusion, once a solid mid-packer. At the moment, it seems like the automakers have decided that being fourth or sixth fiddle to the big dogs isn't worth the effort.

And yet, the Malibu. It is here, and it has a new face. The RS trim — which consists of a black grille, a blacked-out bowtie badge, unique 18-inch alloy wheels, and a dual-outlet exhaust — takes aim at the Accord Sport and Passat R-Line. It, like other Malibus, also ditches the old six-speed auto for a new CVT. The engine remains a 1.5-liter turbocharged inline-four, and also remains somehow well-matched to this car's size and weight. There's nothing different of note about the RS's interior.

Compared to the old Malibu's face, the new Malibu has larger upper and lower openings, filled with a distorted-diamond mesh. Chevy calls it black chrome, but for all the world it looks like black-tinted plastic. The headlights are similar, but improvements in low-beam lighting force some elements to move down into the reshaped lower lamps, like the daytime running lights. There's less brightwork and more aggression to the front fascia overall, mirroring Chevy's current corporate design language.

Around back, dual exhaust tips poke out from a revised lower fascia, replacing the tucked tips hidden behind the old Malibu's bumper skin. They're rounded, oblong quadrangles, loosely resembling the taillights, which themselves are unchanged. A spoiler juts above the trunklid. The five-spoke wheels split at their tips. Is this what counts as sporty in the midsize segment?

Don't expect any contribution to the sportiness from the powertrain. The 1.5-liter engine and CVT are adequate — but neither rises beyond that descriptor. Frankly, the Malibu feels immense, but as we found out in 2016, it's not terribly heavy, so the 1.5 works just fine here. Its ride, handling, and power delivery are unremarkable — few demerits and certainly no plaudits. Steering duties are begrudgingly handled by a leather-wrapped steering wheel that looks a bit like a caricature of itself – cartoonish and distorted. The profound adequacy extends to the seats, which support well for about an hour and then begin to wear on the back. Little offends, but little impresses – the initial, almost neutral pleasantness of the Malibu RS wears off, like you've been inside it too long and it is trying to let on, quietly, that you've overstayed your welcome.

The CVT itself has no glaring vices, but also isn't nearly as sophisticated or slick as the latest units from Nissanand Subaru. What is shocking is that the RS isn't available with the 2.0T and nine-speed automatic — a more natural fit for a "sporty" trim. It's not even an option. Just like the word "coupe" has been twisted to encompass a broad variety of vehicle types, in the sedan world, "sporty" is not what it seems. From a dynamic standpoint, "sporty" is an antonym for "Malibu RS".

The existential question for the Malibu is whether the RS trim will move the needle. Based on what we saw during our time with the RS, it doesn't look like there's enough "there" there for the Malibu RS to lead the charge and conquer the segment. For those already intent on buying a large sedan from Chevy, the RS will be an appealing alternative to the more boring lower trim models. It is, after all, for all intents and purposes a base car with some upmarket flavor — but not too much! — for around $25,000.

Meanwhile, the competition looms conspicuously in this price point. The 2018 Accord Sport, with a 1.5-liter turbo engine and a no-cost CVT option, is just a smidge more at $26,675 — but seriously outperforms GM's 1.5, making 192 horsepower and 192 lb-ft of torque, and has some real handling modifications like larger front and rear stabilizer bars, a quicker steering ratio, and upgraded brakes. Just redesigned, it feels cutting-edge without being overly controversial. It is an excellent choice in the segment. The same can be said for the equally aggressive 2018 Camry SE, with even more power (but slightly less torque) and an eight-speed auto for $26,270. Camry, by the way, almost doubled the monthly sales figures of the Malibu in July.

The Malibu RS doesn't offer enough, with enough pizazz, to offer a serious challenge to similarly-priced and -positioned competitors. Some real talk here: If Chevy wants to keep selling Malibus a few years on, it's going to need more than a revised grille and some exhaust tips — or a shady plot in the graveyard of runner-up sedans, next to the Fusion, awaits.
Source
Old 08-29-18, 11:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

it does look a lot like the latest accord imo, but less interesting.
Old 08-29-18, 05:14 PM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS
did you know Fusions, camrys, accords and altimas also are in rental fleets
Old 08-29-18, 05:16 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

yuck...……..
Old 08-29-18, 05:19 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Diemellz
did you know Fusions, camrys, accords and altimas also are in rental fleets
Honda doesn't do fleet sales, you will never see any Honda at a rental agency unless that agency purchased the car at full retail price.. It is of the primary reasons why Honda's have a higher resale.
Old 12-26-19, 06:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Discount of $5300 Only a matter of time until GM cancels this model.

Note: Guilty admission for me, I kinda like the Malibu design

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/12...december-2019/
Old 12-26-19, 06:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Note: Guilty admission for me, I kinda like the Malibu design
Did you get a chance to test-drive one?

I had one for several days as a loaner when my Lacrosse was getting the climate-regulator fixed. Nice car, though not as comfortable as the Lacrosse.....but that was to be expected. The standard 1.5L turbo engine is a bit on the small size, but has adequate power for most normal day-to-day driving. I'd rate the Malibu, overall, about equal with comparable Ford Fusions, though the Fusion offered an AWD option and the Malibu didn't.

Old 12-26-19, 06:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did you get a chance to test-drive one?

I had one for several days as a loaner when my Lacrosse was getting the climate-regulator fixed. Nice car, though not as comfortable as the Lacrosse.....but that was to be expected. The standard 1.5L turbo engine is a bit on the small size, but has adequate power for most normal day-to-day driving. I'd rate the Malibu, overall, about equal with comparable Ford Fusions, though the Fusion offered an AWD option and the Malibu didn't.
Nah. Don’t really have the energy to test drive. Only bother with cars I really want to drive. Almost all Toyota or Lexus models. And then various models here and there
Old 12-26-19, 07:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Nah. Don’t really have the energy to test drive.
Take it from someone who does a lot of test-drives.....most of the time, it doesn't take much energy at all, especially in this age of electrics and automation on the vehicle doing everything for you...automatic transmissions, windows up/down, door-locks, mirror-adjust, power-steering, power-brakes, etc....even checking tire-pressures.

The last time I used any energy on a test-drive was with a Miata....and that was because you row your own gears, use a clutch, and actually use some energy getting oversized Baby-Boomer bodies like mine in and out LOL.

Quick Reply: 2019 Chevrolet Malibu RS