Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick Avenir line expands to the Regal

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-18, 08:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Buick Avenir line expands to the Regal

Yeah, folks, I know........another Buick thread from MM? So.....what else is new?

Seriously, there's some more news at the division...besides the new-for-2019 Lacrosse Sport Touring model. The slow-selling Regal gets a new Avenir package, which is mostly cosmetic except for the 19" wheels, but adds a flair of interior/exterior luxury that previous models seemed to lack. .....never mind the fact that the 19" wheels will probably stiffen up the Regal's already-stiff (by Buick standards) ride even more. Also of note, this is probably the last of the Opel-designed Buicks we will see in the American market. The Opel-rebadges, of course, were (mostly) responsible for Buick's rise to a very high position on Consumer Reports' reliability list...arguably higher than any other American nameplate. It's nice, IMO, to see GM not only holding on to their sedans/hatchbacks, but even expanding their packages and trim levels, at a time when Ford is kissing most of them good-bye, although true Regal sedans were dropped last year, with the new hatchback and wagon added. As for now, the new Avenir trim level seems to be for the Regal hatchback model only, not the AWD Tour-X-wagon.

https://media.buick.com/media/us/en/...31-avenir.html

https://www.buick.com/avenir?eVar36=...12452636#regal

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2019...op-trim-level/
See all photos

/ 2019 BUICK REGAL AVENIR IS THE LATEST TO GET THE NEW TOP TRIM LEVEL2019 BUICK REGAL AVENIR IS THE LATEST TO GET THE NEW TOP TRIM LEVEL

Avenir badge continues to spread throughout the Buick lineup BUICK
REGAL
SEDAN
NEWS
by Words: Alex Nishimoto Photos:

Manufacturer July 31, 2018

Buick's upscale Avenir trim has helped the brand win both prestige and sales, so it should come as no surprise that the badge is rolling out to more models in the lineup. The latest to receive the Avenir treatment is the 2019 Buick Regal Sportback, rolling out to dealerships this fall.

Like the two U.S. Avenir models before it, the LaCrosse and Enclave, the Regal Avenir offers interior and exterior enhancements along with a host of standard features. Inside, you'll find diamond quilted front seats with Avenir-embroidered headrests, sill plates emblazoned with the Avenir logo, and the first application of Buick's new cloud-capable infotainment system. The interior can be had in either a Whisper Beige or Ebony color scheme.

VIEW 16 PHOTOS

Outside, the Regal Avenir sports a unique grille with a three-dimensional mesh pattern inspired by the 2015 Buick Avenir concept. The five-door also receives Avenir badges on the front doors and an exclusive set of 19-inch Pearl Nickel-finished alloy wheels. Like all non-GS Regals, the Regal Avenir will get a turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four, tuned to 250 hp and 260 lb-ft of torque, which will be mated exclusively to a nine-speed automatic transmission and front-wheel drive.

We like how the standard Regal Sportback drives, but noted in a review that the interior doesn't feel special enough. Here's hoping this new Avenir trim can change that.

Pricing for the 2019 Buick Regal Avenir will be announced closer to its launch in the fall.

Source: Buick

See all 16 photos
PHOTO GALLERY
16 Photos in this Gallery
View Gallery

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-31-18 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-31-18, 08:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

https://media.buick.com/media/us/en/...31-avenir.html

2019 Regal Avenir Offers Sleek, Versatile Luxury

Premium Line Extends to Buick’s Freshest Face

2018-07-31

SARATOGA SPRINGS, NY — With the addition of the Regal Avenir — the fourth Buick globally to get an Avenir trim in less than a year — the momentum behind Buick’s highest expression of luxury continues to grow. Since its introduction last fall, Enclave Avenir has set the pace for Avenir, selling faster than all other Enclave trims and comprising 20 percent of total Enclave sales in the United States. A similar story is unfolding for the new LaCrosse, where Avenir is selling 70 percent faster than other trim levels.

“Avenir sales have exceeded our expectations,” said Phil Brook, vice president, Buick and GMC Marketing. “Buick customers value the exclusive styling, premium features and convenient experience Avenir provides, and we are excited to extend that successful formula to Regal.”

Half of all Regal Sportback buyers are choosing the top trim level, and within the midsize car segment demand is growing for more premium vehicles. Over the past four years, demand has risen 30 percent for midsize cars priced from $30,000 to $40,000, reflecting the increasing customer demand for more luxury, convenience and safety without compromising overall value.

Buick’s first cloud-connected1 Infotainment System debuts on Regal Avenir, enabling embedded apps and enhancing how customers interact with vehicle features such as profiles, available navigation, voice recognition system updates and applications. Owners will now be able to personalize their user preferences and seamlessly take that profile with them into any compatible vehicle.

“Innovation comes standard with Avenir,” said Chris Hay, Product and Pricing director, Buick and GMC. “It is a place for us to showcase our latest ideas to promote occupant well-being before we roll them out to other vehicles in our portfolio. The Enclave Avenir was the first Buick with Evonik Acrylite exterior lighting, a Rear Camera Mirror and an ionizer, and now Buick’s latest infotainment interface will come standard with the Regal Avenir.”

Other Avenir-exclusive interior details include a Whisper Beige interior theme with Ebony accents, unique diamond quilt-stitched front seats, embroidered first-row headrests and Avenir-scripted sill plates.

An Ebony interior theme is also available on Avenir models.

On the exterior, Regal Avenir’s more dramatic look features the unique Avenir three-dimensional mesh upper grille inspired by our award-winning concept cars. Avenir script badging on the front doors and exclusive 19-inch Pearl Nickel wheels create more visual differentiation and complement the Regal’s timeless design.

Numerous safety and driver assistance technologies2 available on other Regal Sportback models come standard on Avenir, including Rear Park Assist, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Lane Change Alert with Side Blind Zone Alert, LED headlamps with auto leveling, cornering lamps and driver side auto-dimming mirrors. Additional active safety technologies, including Adaptive Cruise Control - Advanced, are also available.

A 250-horsepower 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine producing 260 lb-ft of torque, a nine-speed automatic transmission, ample cargo space with a discreet rear opening and tri-folding 40/20/40 rear seats, wireless charging, navigation and Bose eight-speaker premium audio also come standard on Avenir.

Pricing will be announced early fall 2018 when Avenirs arrive at dealers.

With one of the freshest lineups in the industry, Buick has found success offering premium SUVs and cars with sculptural designs, refined performance, modern interiors and thoughtful personal technologies. Buick’s award-winning customer service and sales experience, along with the new Avenir trim, the highest expression of Buick luxury, are attracting new buyers to experience Buick’s unique approach to attainable luxury. More information about Buick vehicles is available at buick.com.

# # #

1 Requires Connected Access.

2 Read the vehicle owner's manual for important safety or driver assistance feature limitations and information.
Old 08-02-18, 02:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I saw the Avenir line at the latest auto show in Toronto. it was a very appealing option. I think the Regal is a unique model and the press are too hard on it for its interior. I think the Regal TourX is the best model available at Buick IMO.
Old 08-02-18, 02:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,140 Likes on 1,386 Posts

let's see if they can add rain sensing wipers to the enclave avenir for 2019, something i had on a bottom of the line vauxhall corsa rental recently.
Old 08-02-18, 02:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Who knows. General Motors was at the forefront of the rain sensing wipers since the mid 1990s.
Old 08-02-18, 02:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
let's see if they can add rain sensing wipers to the enclave avenir for 2019, something i had on a bottom of the line vauxhall corsa rental recently.
Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Who knows. General Motors was at the forefront of the rain sensing wipers since the mid 1990s.
I'm not a big fan of rain-sensing wipers. You have to keep your windshield scrupulously clean at all times, because they can start wiping the blade across the glass as soon as they sense a couple of drops of rain, while at the same time, grinding and abrading any small particles of dirt and debris into the still-partly-dry glass, causing fine scratches because there isn't enough water on the glass (yet) to rinse off the dirt. IMO it was just something that the engineers didn't think of when they designed the system. Using the windshield washers can help, but they don't wet the whole glass before the wipers start.....only the area within reach of the jet spray. And the windshield washer fluid is not good for some paint jobs if it drips on them, even with clearcoat paint.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-02-18 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-02-18, 03:18 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I've had rain sensing wipers on something like my last six cars and haven't had any problems with windshield scratching or paint/clear coat problems. I'm not saying these things can't happen, but they're not really problems that one has to worry about.
Old 08-02-18, 03:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I've had rain sensing wipers on something like my last six cars and haven't had any problems with windshield scratching or paint/clear coat problems. I'm not saying these things can't happen, but they're not really problems that one has to worry about.

Like I said above, you probably won't have any problems if you keep the glass clean (the fact that you haven't had problems is one indication that you may be doing a good job doing exactly that) . The (potential) problems come when the glass gets dirty....and the blades start wiping, at the first few drops of rain, before the dirt can get washed off.
Old 08-02-18, 03:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Rainsense wipers are also not fixed in the sense you do not need to leave them or (dormant) and you can bypass them. Personally, I could care less to have them.
Old 08-02-18, 04:52 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm not a big fan of rain-sensing wipers. You have to keep your windshield scrupulously clean at all times, because they can start wiping the blade across the glass as soon as they sense a couple of drops of rain, while at the same time, grinding and abrading any small particles of dirt and debris into the still-partly-dry glass, causing fine scratches because there isn't enough water on the glass (yet) to rinse off the dirt. IMO it was just something that the engineers didn't think of when they designed the system. Using the windshield washers can help, but they don't wet the whole glass before the wipers start.....only the area within reach of the jet spray. And the windshield washer fluid is not good for some paint jobs if it drips on them, even with clearcoat paint.
This just is not true, no matter how many times you post it. I'm on my 3rd car with rain sensing wipers--3 different car brands. This has never happened to me, except for 1 week after I had my windshield replaced.
Old 08-02-18, 05:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
This just is not true, no matter how many times you post it. I'm on my 3rd car with rain sensing wipers--3 different car brands. This has never happened to me, except for 1 week after I had my windshield replaced.
So?.....like I said, if you keep your glass clean, you won't have any trouble. That doesn't make what I said false, or any less true.

What was the problem with the replaced windshield......Defective glass? I've seen that happen with several people.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-02-18 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-02-18, 05:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Rainsense wipers are also not fixed in the sense you do not need to leave them or (dormant) and you can bypass them. Personally, I could care less to have them.
They're nice to have in some instances, such as when you are in conditions where you constantly have to re-adjust the wiper speed in changing rain intensity, or in stop and go traffic where the car speed changes so often that the wiper speed is too fast or to slow. But, be that as it may, I'm basically with you...I can live without them.
Old 08-02-18, 05:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

OK....back the the new Regal Avenir. If local dealerships get any, I hope to look at one this fall when it debuts (no, not for a purchase LOL) Avenirs tend to be special-order, though....you don't see many in stock.

I have a strong suspicion, though (and I agree with a number of people on this, even though they didn't specifically mention it in this thread), that this package is going to appeal mainly to the Chinese market. It is essentially the Great-Grandson of the late-60s 4-door Buick Skylark (top-trim) Custom model that I went to high school with.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-02-18 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-02-18, 05:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I think the Avenir trim will do fine. GM has a pretty good transaction rate and rebates are decent for Buick’s. I do wonder if there will be a Regal X Avenir trim level. I doubt it tho.
Old 08-02-18, 06:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I think the Avenir trim will do fine. GM has a pretty good transaction rate and rebates are decent for Buick’s. I do wonder if there will be a Regal X Avenir trim level. I doubt it tho.
Did you mean the Tour-X Wagon? (I know you like the wagon version...I do, too). If so, Interesting question. Subaru, for years, did an upscale L.L. Bean version of its Outback (which competes with the Tour-X Wagon) that sold extremely well. To this day, I don't know why Subie and L.L. Bean split up.

Quick Reply: Buick Avenir line expands to the Regal