Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why does an S class intimidate so many people?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-18, 10:28 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I have enjoyed reading everyone's responses. I think the S class is hands-down the best looking large sedan and if I put reliability concerns aside (meaning I bought new or bought CPO with great coverage), I'm still not sure I would pull the trigger on it and I can't put my finger on exactly why.
I've also heard MB CPO is no good. But you are right, it's a good looking car, and the new one will be even better. It all comes down to disposable income, the majority of people who obtain these new, be it purchase or lease, have a lot of disposable income.

Put it this way--do you know people who hire SAT tutors, have au pairs from Sweden, have live in house cleaners, 56' Sea Rays, more than 10 properties, share a corporate jet (I was just thinking of a person who got fired about 3 wks ago)? When you see these types driving a S550, and nothing more, just me, I don't feel, nor do I need to do the same I have one house with a single car garage (I look forward to paying this thing off in 4 yrs., despite some who say never pay off a house). I can go 6 yrs. old, not just for price, but I'm not in that class that tools around in a new S. I told everyone here, I need to get x number more rentals this year to move into the Executive aisle. There are no S classes in that aisle, but Lincolns. If you like the S class, and can justify it, I say get it. I like it, but I don't need it, so I don't get it, not new at least.
Old 07-20-18, 10:45 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 399 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
imho when one is in sales, one has to have an appearance. If I wanted to get your even 1 mil. portfolio, and I show up at your house in a 2006 LS430, you'd think either this guy ain't cutting it, or he's a penny pincher who doesn't care what anyone thinks. But either way, lemme find somebody else. Then, the next guy pulls in with a 2017 A8L, and you think, I don't know if I trust this guy, but at least he plays the part and I'll give him a chance. Let's be honest, when a vendor takes us out to the Capital Grille, it isn't as if we didn't notice what he/she drives. This high net worth team came in to get my buddy and his wife's portfolio (it's not even a mil so it's one of the two bread and butter largest mutual fund cos in the USA), and one girl pulls in with a Dodge Neon. We joked and I said c'mon dude let her cut her teeth on you guys, it's not like you even have a mil. I pulled her FINRA for him and she declared bankruptcy only 2 yrs. ago. Needless to say he didn't go with her. Appearances do matter, in many cases. I'm not in sales so if anything, I'm ok driving the 1998 Maxima with rust to work. But my wife says it's career limiting lol
Yes, it depends on what you're selling and "appearance" translates into many things (with a car being one of them). I'm in sales and won't wear some of my custom suits in certain parts of my territory for fear I'll look too flashy compared to my customers. So I need to be a chameleon. Conversely, I have a buddy in wealth management at a major firm who can't approach anyone with less than a $10 million liquid net worth. Clients with that type of net worth are looking for a certain caliber person and part of it includes carrying & presenting yourself in a certain manner (car, clothing, etc), plus other things (where your kids go to school, your social circle, etc). Just like everything else, there are lots of variables.
Old 07-20-18, 10:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
imho when one is in sales, one has to have an appearance.

Appearances do matter, in many cases.
I can't speak for others, but I couldn't care less what a salesperson or agent looks like, or what they drive. If they dress in old jeans with holes in them, sandals, and a faded T-shirt, that's fine with me, as long as they sell me (or can sell me) a product I like and/or want. In fact, while I don't go around in rags, I consider expensive clothes or suits a waste of money. While I don't claim to speak for others, that's my $.02.

In fact, that's one of the (many) things I used to like about Saturn in its initial years.....the salespeople (Saturn called them "Consultants") and even the managers, per company policy, avoided business suits and wore brightly colored polo-shirts (usually bright red) with the company logo on them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-20-18 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-20-18, 11:02 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, it depends on what you're selling and "appearance" translates into many things (with a car being one of them). I'm in sales and won't wear some of my custom suits in certain parts of my territory for fear I'll look too flashy compared to my customers. So I need to be a chameleon. Conversely, I have a buddy in wealth management at a major firm who can't approach anyone with less than a $10 million liquid net worth. Clients with that type of net worth are looking for a certain caliber person and part of it includes carrying & presenting yourself in a certain manner (car, clothing, etc), plus other things (where your kids go to school, your social circle, etc). Just like everything else, there are lots of variables.
I truly think we should all be ourselves, within reason. I used the words, "look the part." This is important. Say a person has a dead fish handshake and looks away, I honestly don't trust such a person. Your buddy would laugh...I tore open my 401k for my current employer, it's a nice amount as I max it out every year and it's been since 2011. It's not a good co. that administers our plan, they're too busy naming baseball parks than watching our money! But get this--they have the nerve to skim off the top and charge my portfolio a fee of 0.0007! I bet your buddy does 0.03! lol

I got my buddy good, told him I opened an account with Goldman Sachs. He was surprised and said congrats. How much you open it with?

"$5." (it's the online back you big dummy! lol)
Old 07-20-18, 11:27 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 485 Likes on 321 Posts

I have enjoyed reading everyone's responses. I think the S class is hands-down the best looking large sedan and if I put reliability concerns aside (meaning I bought new or bought CPO with great coverage), I'm still not sure I would pull the trigger on it and I can't put my finger on exactly why.
You realize that S Class is a top quality product that also commands a top price.
You have put reliability aside.
Yet you can't pull the trigger.
You don't know exactly why.

There are many possibilities.
Maybe uncomfortable with the cost?
S Class makes you look like a shark?
Old 07-20-18, 11:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I just don't care what others think so whether it is a S class, G90, old or new NSX, used Supra turbo, Bentley Conti GT, used LS/GS, old 8 series coupe, Infiniti cars, used CL65, etc I am just interested in cars I like and of course can afford/afford to own.
You might care more what they think if they were the ones paying for the car lol
Old 07-20-18, 11:30 AM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I'm not worried about what people on the street think of it, like you said they're a dime a dozen and even if they weren't, I don't care.

My situation is a little bit different than that of just any ordinary buyer as my vehicle is a business tool. I'm in real estate sales & management. I don't work in the luxury market either, my business is largely $300-$800k houses, and my clients by and large have less income than I do. Theres an old saying, people want to do business with people who are successful, but not who are a lot more successful than they are. If I'm driving an S Class and my clients are driving Hondas, theres a disconnect there. Theres still a disconnect with the LS obviously but its not nearly as ostentatious, and being a car person who spends a lot of time in my car and get a lot of enjoyment out of my car there are limits to how much I'm going to let my concern over this dictate what I drive.

If I sold 7 figure houses all day long I wouldn't worry about driving an S Class at all.

This is a common concern with salespeople. My Dad for instance was in the commercial printing paper business and he did a lot of business with unions, supplying paper for their annual reports, etc. He resisted getting an LS400 for 8 years because he was concerned with how those customers would react to him driving a foreign made car. Even when he had it, when he would meet them for golf or something he would drive our Explorer instead of the LS. He also never moved on from the LS to an S Class because he was concerned it would make it look like he made a lot of money to his customers.

Thats the great thing about the LS though, people never look at it and raise their eyebrows. We saw this first hand when my partner had a C Class Mercedes and traded it on a GS, people used to make snide comments to him all the time about the C Class, but nobody ever said anything about the GS, despite it being more expensive.
totally see your point if your client base is the average Joe. Guess it all depends on type of sales and target.

Old 07-20-18, 11:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

And for me, I love my LS460L, I look forward to driving it every day. Even if an S Class catches my eye and I'd like to have one, I'm perfectly happy with what I have...so to me its not worth the potential of turning clients away or the added cost right now to get an S Class.
Old 07-20-18, 11:41 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I think a 3 series BMW is the real me. Although if I could turn back time I would have gotten the E92 M3. It was $59k back then and has to this day held its value decently.

But I want the 2012-13 S550 to be who I am not, only at a reasonable price!
Old 07-20-18, 11:42 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 399 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You might care more what they think if they were the ones paying for the car lol
LOL, this is true.
Old 07-20-18, 11:44 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Interesting thread.

Me, I have a comfortable life and we have been fortunate to have a pretty decent nest egg. We live in a very upscale neighborhood, with lots of German steel driving around. But up until the time it died 18 months ago, I loved driving my '97 Mercury Mountaineer. I could haul stuff, the dogs could have the back seat to themselves, a reasonably good-looking vehicle with a very good 302 V8 engine.

I think what motivates me inside is an obsessive desire to be "practical," of getting a great bang for the buck. I look at a brand-new car and my very first thought is "Geez, that guy is paying a fortune in depreciation." I guess that's a bit weird.

We own some income properties. In one very nice condo lives a guy who pays his rent but is by no means wealthy. Last year I happened upon him downtown, driving a gorgeous brand-new silver Mercedes (not an S). Did I respect him more? Actually I afterwards thought, "the guy is leasing that thing, and three years from now he will be out of that car with nothing to show for all the expense." But of course it's his right to spend his money as he sees fit and if he gets a lot of satisfaction out of a flawless finish and admiring glances, fine. But to me success is money in the bank, and that doesn't show up until you get to know someone.
Old 07-20-18, 11:54 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Back in the early 2000's when I was in middle school, I always used to ask my parents why they didn't have newer, nicer cars (they both drove Lexus, but they were older) and why we didn't live in a nicer house. My mom and dad always responded by telling me to ask my friends if their parents cars and houses were paid off. I didn't understand it at the time, but when the crash hit in 2007 and onward, I started to get it. I had so many friends whose parents lost their house, cars, jobs, etc. and didn't have savings to keep them afloat. My parents were just fine and kept chugging along. It was then that I realized most of these people were all show. As others have mentioned on here, many of the S-class that are on the road are leased and used as a tax write-off. Others are just leased so they can portray the image of success. Having the ability to buy something doesn't mean you have to buy it. Haven't you heard of The Millionaire Next Door? There are more wealthy people scattered throughout blue-collar and middle class neighborhoods than one might think.

My mom hasn't worked since the early 90's and always says that she will never drive a Mercedes again. She did drive them in the 80's, but always explains that material things meant more to her back then than they do now. She also says that since she doesn't work, she doesn't deserve to drive a Mercedes. My dad on the other hand could care less what people think and drives what he wants now... one of his cars being an S550.
Old 07-20-18, 12:37 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
who owns one?

They're mostly leased and a tax write off.

so I'm not bothered about the image it gives.
Right and none of this applies to Lexus too?
Old 07-20-18, 12:53 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 485 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
who owns one?

They're mostly leased and a tax write off.

so I'm not bothered about the image it gives.
Originally Posted by jwong77
That's why I always say that S Class is a premium product with a premium price - that only a select number of people can "comfortably" lease, let alone own.

S Class implies success, but it also implies the means to get there.
Old 07-20-18, 01:49 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,895 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
I think people who don't really know cars are often surprised at how Lexus is kinda expensive, too. Even as we were going to test drive my car, my wife initially thought I wanted it because it was cheaper than the BMW 3-series and Audi A4 which I was also shopping it against. Actually, it was in the same ballpark, in fact a little more expensive than the particular A4. She thought they were kinda like Acura, a more budget-friendly alternative to "real" luxury cars. I think cars like the RX and ES aid in causing this perception to prevail among non-enthusiasts. Then again, Lexus doesn't have exclusively longitudinally-mounted-engine RWD cars - many are based on lesser Toyota products, so you could still make that argument.

Even then, Lexus's reputation for reliability and comfort and their ties to Toyota will always, IMO, place them in a position of being the "responsible" or "practical" alternative when shopping for luxury vehicles, when compared with the somewhat more exciting, more expensive to maintain, and overhyped German brands. But you know someone driving a (new?) Lexus is still somewhat successful. Especially certain models like the LS, which are undeniably eye-catching when nice and clean. In fact, I saw a white LC 500 today while out for lunch with coworkers, and neither of them knew what it was, but they definitely took a long look. Lexus just has a different sort of appeal these days. An S-class coupe, by the same token, would have elicited a far different reaction.

Quick Reply: Why does an S class intimidate so many people?