Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tire & Wheel Protection plans?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-18, 09:40 PM
Dmaxdmax
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Tire & Wheel Protection plans?

My dealer just pitched 2 versions of this by email. ROAD InTire, and Lexus Tire and Wheel Platinum. He didn’t list prices - I’m picking up next week.

Just say no?
Old 07-18-18, 10:02 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 155 Likes on 91 Posts

Generally, all these "extras" are designed to maximize profits for the dealer, and not for the customer. That is the reason it is offered and established. I'd skip. But much of this depends on where you live. If the roads are in horrible conditions, with constant potholes everywhere, it could pay for itself later down the road. But most people, through the research I've done, have not gotten their money out of it.
Old 07-18-18, 10:52 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,489 Likes on 1,797 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Generally, all these "extras" are designed to maximize profits for the dealer, and not for the customer. That is the reason it is offered and established. I'd skip. But much of this depends on where you live. If the roads are in horrible conditions, with constant potholes everywhere, it could pay for itself later down the road. But most people, through the research I've done, have not gotten their money out of it.
I've definitely used mine a few times already.

1. Curb rash repair.
2. Replaced a non-fixable flat tire due to a screw that pierced the sidewall.
3. Curb rash repair again.

It's nice for not having to pay a surprise sum of money at one time, but I don't know whether I'll actually make back the money I am spending on it. The important thing to remember is, if you get the road hazard protection, you can replace quite a lot. For example if you hit a really bad pot hole and destroy a wheel, a replacement wheel should be covered, in theory. I'm kinda with Fizzboy7 on the "getting your money out of it" deal, but it's up to you and your priorities. For me, the roads are not good where I live, so I like having the piece of mind. Also I stink at street parking, hence the curbed wheels... which I don't like driving around with.
Old 07-19-18, 04:56 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

When I bought my BMW in late '06, it was $390. Everyone told me no-brainer as the tires are over $400 each. So I did it.

As predicted, never used it. It expired in 5 years, and then I got 3 nails in the tires (go figure). I just plugged them at home, was not about to get new ones just for nails in a RFT. What I found fascinating was all over the forum, as usual, people saying how many tires they got from the agreement, only it was like $1,100? lol What happened to $390?

This shady northern NJ dealer told me I needed 4 tires. To humor him, I said well next time (quoted me like $2800 and I was around 6/32 in the fronts and 4/32 in the rears). Then he said do you have a tire protection plan? When I said yes, he replies we could replace them and I'm not telling you what to do say you drove over some nails? crooked
Old 07-19-18, 09:00 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

What size wheel/tire is on the car you are buying??? I've had a pothole destroy a tire and damage an 18" wheel/low profile tire, was like $330 with tax by the time I had the wheel refinished and a new tire put on.

My suggestion would be to avoid the upsized wheel/tire offering if its something like a 255/30/R20 type of tire and stick with the base model wheel/tire option that gives you more sidewall. Although usually its only sedans/coupes that run that aggressive of a wheel/tire combo to where it can easily be damaged by bad roads. Most SUV's, even performance ones generally give you a tire with enough sidewall to where this isn't even a concern IMO.
Old 07-19-18, 09:34 AM
Dmaxdmax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Aron9000
What size wheel/tire is on the car you are buying??? I've had a pothole destroy a tire and damage an 18" wheel/low profile tire, was like $330 with tax by the time I had the wheel refinished and a new tire put on.

My suggestion would be to avoid the upsized wheel/tire offering if its something like a 255/30/R20 type of tire and stick with the base model wheel/tire option that gives you more sidewall. Although usually its only sedans/coupes that run that aggressive of a wheel/tire combo to where it can easily be damaged by bad roads. Most SUV's, even performance ones generally give you a tire with enough sidewall to where this isn't even a concern IMO.
It’s an ES300h that comes standard with 17” alloy - 215/55R17 AS

If my 4 tires are 50% used and one gets destroyed (not punctured) I suspect I’ll need to get 4 tires but insurance will cover but 1 of them. So even with insurance a bad pothole could be expensive.
Old 07-19-18, 08:46 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I wouldn't bother with that wheel combo, unless the roads are just absolute garbage where you live.

And you can put a new tire on with 3 worn tires as long as the other 3 still have good tread. Its a Lexus ES, if there is any difference in steering feel/grip/handling/braking performance, you are never going to be driving it hard enough to notice.
Old 07-20-18, 12:42 PM
Dmaxdmax
Intermediate

They finally got around to prices:
3 years - $648
5 years - $851

or Platinum Plus that includes windshield, dents & dings, and key replacement:
5 years - $1,670

I'll check with Geico but I think my auto plan includes windshield coverage.
I imagine Lexus kills you on key replacement!
Old 07-20-18, 01:41 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

When I consider tire and wheel protections plans I think back to my experiences with both cars over the past 3-5 years and whether or not I would have benefitted from buying the protection. Long story short, I've never purchased it. I could go back 10 years and my decision would be the same. It's all a personal decision.
Old 07-20-18, 01:56 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

I couldn't wait to get rid of my factory tires on my ES. No way I would have paid the dealer anything that might prolong the agony!
Old 07-20-18, 03:56 PM
Dmaxdmax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LexBob2
When I consider tire and wheel protections plans I think back to my experiences with both cars over the past 3-5 years and whether or not I would have benefitted from buying the protection. Long story short, I've never purchased it. I could go back 10 years and my decision would be the same. It's all a personal decision.
Thats the reasoning we used when not buying long term care insurance. 4 parents and 8 grandparents between us and as far as we can tell, none would have benefited.

I could have used it a dozen years ago but it was my own darn fault.
Old 07-20-18, 04:33 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

If you get a nail, at least here when you call the Lexus number for service the local dealer comes out & repairs free of charge. I passed up the tire package and still had several nails/screws removed from my tires by my dealer at no charge, a few at home when I discovered my tire(s) going low in my garage. - A couple years ago there was a lot of construction going on in the neighborhood, I'm sure that was the reason for the uptick in flats.
Old 07-20-18, 07:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
If you get a nail, at least here when you call the Lexus number for service the local dealer comes out & repairs free of charge. I passed up the tire package and still had several nails/screws removed from my tires by my dealer at no charge, a few at home when I discovered my tire(s) going low in my garage. - A couple years ago there was a lot of construction going on in the neighborhood, I'm sure that was the reason for the uptick in flats.
There's no excuse for that......absolutely none. Construction crews and home-repair firms have a responsibility to clean up after themselves. Many of them are just plain lazy. That is also why utility crews don't repave and smooth the big holes they chop in the road correctly, and why those patches are so rough.
Old 07-20-18, 08:01 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

In never get upsold on the wheel and tire warranty or ding warranty. Wheels are $100 to refinish if curbed and dings are $75. No need to go to the dealer as I go right to the source as the dealer by me outsources it and marks it up anyway. I’ll take my chances as it has always worked out in my favor so far. I have even asked the dealer I bought my car from twice to fix a curbed wheel for free and they obliged since I was a repeat customer.
Old 07-21-18, 09:02 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmaxdmax
My dealer just pitched 2 versions of this by email. ROAD InTire, and Lexus Tire and Wheel Platinum. He didn’t list prices - I’m picking up next week.

Just say no?
I caved when I bought my BMW. I've had 3 nails in my tire since then (RFTs). I'm still in the hole. It was my first car with 18" wheels, so I bought the hype about wheel replacement. In hindsight, I would have seen if I could negotiate them down for a price that just covered tires and not the wheels.

Quick Reply: Tire & Wheel Protection plans?