Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM One-Year Ownership Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-18, 02:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I actually like the CT6 a lot, the interior is kind of drab in anything but the Platinum trim, and the Platinum trim is too expensive for what it is.
Yes, you have indicated, several times in the past, that you like its RWD/AWD layout (and I respect your view on that). I agree that's the way to go if one wants an American BMW. But Cadillac is finding out that, for the most part, its sedan customers don't want that.....which is why the DTS sold, and the CT6, for the most part, doesn't. Of course, to be fair and objective, the current 3Gen Lacrosse has not seen anywhere near its own sales goals either, even though GM is apparently still sticking with (most) of its sedans instead of dumping them like Ford.

When do we get a 12-month update on your LS? I don't remember exactly how long you have had it.
Old 07-18-18, 02:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, you have indicated, several times in the past, that you like its RWD/AWD layout (and I respect your view on that). I agree that's the way to go if one wants an American BMW. But Cadillac is finding out that, for the most part, its sedan customers don't want that.....which is why the DTS sold, and the CT6, for the most part, doesn't. Of course, to be fair and objective, the current 3Gen Lacrosse has not seen anywhere near its own sales goals either, even though GM is apparently still sticking with (most) of its sedans instead of dumping them like Ford.

When do we get a 12-month update on your LS? I don't remember exactly how long you have had it.
The CT6 sells just as well as the DTS did towards the end, and that was another era. Depending on how you spec it it rides quite well. I didn't find the ride that different from the LS or the G90 which I drove back to back compared to it.

Cadillac isn't going back to FWD cars, they don't need to. Theres no reason why they can't make a RWD/AWD car that rides great...everybody else does. The BMW 7 Series has a great ride.

Got the current LS in January, so we're about 6 months in...I will work on a 6 month update!
Old 07-18-18, 03:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The CT6 sells just as well as the DTS did towards the end, and that was another era. Depending on how you spec it it rides quite well. I didn't find the ride that different from the LS or the G90 which I drove back to back compared to it.
Maybe I'm just not as used to the LS as you are, not having owned one like you. But the last one I sampled, an LS460, to my tastes, would run circles around the CT6 when it came to driving comfort and smoothness. The G90 was not quite the equal of the LS, but seemed more solidly-built, with better hardware. Haven't tried the new LS500 yet (I know, I have to get off my butt and do that.....I'm currently behind on car-sampling), but almost all the reviews I have read about it say that the smooth ride has been sacrificed a little for sportiness (same with the new ES).

Cadillac isn't going back to FWD cars, they don't need to. Theres no reason why they can't make a RWD/AWD car that rides great...everybody else does. The BMW 7 Series has a great ride.
Well, ride, IMO, is probably where the CT6 needs the most work. It's just too firm for a Caddy flagship, and the one I reviewed took the OEM factory tires (I don't remember what brand they were) the better part of 10 or 15 minutes to warm up on U.S. 50 (west of Dulles, past Moore Cadillac) enough to round out the flat spots and roll smoothly. That, of course, was different from the XTS I reviewed at Lindsay, where the shimmy was a design-defect in the chassis, not the tires.

Got the current LS in January, so we're about 6 months in...I will work on a 6 month update!
Yeah, sorry.....I couldn't remember the exact time, since you've replaced both of your vehicles in the last year or so.
Old 07-18-18, 03:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Does anyone know if GM still uses Duralife rotors on the new LaCrosse or other competing vehicles in the GM family?

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/h.../1130_fnc.html
Old 07-18-18, 04:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Does anyone know if GM still uses Duralife rotors on the new LaCrosse or other competing vehicles in the GM family?
There's your answer, Jill

https://media.buick.com/content/medi...duct-Guide.pdf

2018 BUICK LACROSSE FAST FACT

Buick LaCrosse is the first Buick to win a Ward’s 10 Best Interiors award.

BASE PRICE

$30,490

EPA VEHICLE CLASS

Full-size sedan

NEW FOR 2018
  • eAssist light electrification becomes standard propulsion system and supports a GM- estimated 25 mpg city and 35 mpg highway
  • Nine-speed automatic transmission paired with the available 3.6L V-6
  • AWD capability expanded to the Essence model
  • Exterior colors: Satin Steel Metallic, Dark Slate Metallic and Red Quartz Tintcoat

VEHICLE HIGHLIGHTS
    • Trim range includes: LaCrosse (FWD), Preferred (FWD), Essence (FWD and AWD) and Premium (FWD and AWD)
    • Preferred, Essence and Premium models offered with 3.6L V-6 engine
    • New eAssist light electrification propulsion system combines a compact electric motor and

advanced 24-cell air-cooled lithium-ion battery pack with a 2.5L 4-cyl. gas engine and six- speed automatic transmission. Additional features:
       Motor Generator Unit replaces the traditional alternator
      •  Electric assist provides a power boost for an extremely smooth launch from the Auto-

Stop mode and additional torque to the engine, when needed, to optimize overall driving

performance and efficiency
      •  Regenerative braking stores some of the energy normally lost during braking or coasting

in the lithium-ion battery pack
      •  Seamless stop/start technology enhances efficiency
      •  Upper and lower active aero shutters reduce aerodynamic drag in certain driving

conditions to enhance efficiency
    • High-intensity discharge headlamps and LED signature lighting; LED taillamps are standard
    • HiPer Strut front suspension available on Essence and Premium FWD trims
    • Five-link rear suspension is standard on all trims
    • Electronically controlled Continuous Damping Control active suspension with selectable

Touring and Sport modes is available on Essence and Premium trims
    • Driver-selectable Electronic Precision Shift is standard on all trims
    • Advanced, dual-clutch AWD system is available on Essence and Premium (requires 3.6L V-

6 engine)
    • Efficiency-enhancing low-drag disc brakes with Duralife rotors
    • Electric power steering system with Lead/Pull Compensation
Old 07-19-18, 07:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe I'm just not as used to the LS as you are, not having owned one like you. But the last one I sampled, an LS460, to my tastes, would run circles around the CT6 when it came to driving comfort and smoothness. The G90 was not quite the equal of the LS, but seemed more solidly-built, with better hardware. Haven't tried the new LS500 yet (I know, I have to get off my butt and do that.....I'm currently behind on car-sampling), but almost all the reviews I have read about it say that the smooth ride has been sacrificed a little for sportiness (same with the new ES).
What spec CT6 did you drive? What sort of wheels and tires were on it? Its certainly not as soft as the LS, certainly not my air suspension LWB LS now, but few cars are, I thought the one that I drove that was a lower spec (remember I drove a loaded Platinum and didnt like it, and went back and drove a more low spec $65k car and liked it in the confines of that price point). The higher Spec cars are actually sportier feeling than the lower spec car. You gotta remember, at $65k its cheap for that size class.

The G90 rides every bit as good as a coil sprung LS460. The air suspension adds a little bit more polish.

The LS500 rides firmer for sure, but still rides well.

Well, ride, IMO, is probably where the CT6 needs the most work. It's just too firm for a Caddy flagship, and the one I reviewed took the OEM factory tires (I don't remember what brand they were) the better part of 10 or 15 minutes to warm up on U.S. 50 (west of Dulles, past Moore Cadillac) enough to round out the flat spots and roll smoothly.
It had probably been sitting there for a long time.

I would say it needs the most work in the interior. Ride to me was okay.
Old 07-19-18, 07:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The G90 rides every bit as good as a coil sprung LS460. The air suspension adds a little bit more polish.
If you have actually driven an air-suspension model, I'll take your word for it. I don't remember my sample having one.

it had probably been sitting there for a long time.
Don't remember for sure, but I think it was one of the first ones to arrive.

Old 07-19-18, 07:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If you have actually driven an air-suspension model, I'll take your word for it. I don't remember my sample having one.
I own one. I have owned a coil sprung LS460 and an air suspended LS460 L.

To be clear I mean the air suspension adds a little more polish to the LS460...so the air suspension LS460 rides a little better than the G90. The G90 doesn't have an air suspension option, they are all coil suspension.
Old 11-08-18, 12:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

First-time in the shop today for my Lacrosse on a warranty-related issue. In both manual and full-auto climate-control functions (and both in and out of "sync" function for the temperature), the warm/cold-air flow coming out of the left/right vents is not being directed properly at the right temperature, and one must fiddle or experiment with different ****-settings to keep the interior comfortable and the windshield clear. It did not trigger a computer-code, but the Technician agreed there was a problem. They are keeping it overnight, will probably end up having to replace the actuator or regulator (they'll need to get the part), and gave me a free Chevy Malibu loaner to take home.

Please.....no "I-Told-You-So's". I was well-aware, when I ordered it, that this car was not likely to be as reliable as its ES350, Cadenza, Avalon, or G80 competition, that it has an (almost) totally new transmission design in it, and that American-designed Buicks, like this one, generally lack the durable construction and materials of the German/Opel-designed Verano, Encore, Cascada, and Regal. I expected more issues with the Lacrosse than with my former Verano....though the Verano, like several other smaller GM products, was stuck with the American-designed 2.4L Ecotec four and its sometimes weak, oil-burning piston rings. No matter.....the Lacrosse, to my tastes, is still a joy to drive, and, for the money and considering what it costs, IMO clearly provides the most comfort and cushiness of just about anything else out there, though the 2014+ Chevy Impala also comes close. I'd buy another one tomorrow if anything happened to this one, it got totalled, or GM dropped it from production.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-08-18 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-08-18, 01:07 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I wonder if there is an actuator issue (believe one is called blend)? It's a known issue on GM cars. I know it's no different than the Lexus LS430 door actuator where to avoid the steep dealer price to fix, people DIY. 3 got replaced under our GMPP extended warranty. Good thing they broke while it was still in effect or I'd be DIY and kicking myself...(hole saw to the center stack not good--but you'll never see it lol)

I've mentioned it on the 3rd gen LS forum, the LS430 is superior to a 1998 Maxima, yet, the 1998 Maxima has had none of the items break, if you list out what's common on the 3rd gen LS. Either they got lucky back then or something. Rust? That's another issue, much worse...
Old 11-08-18, 01:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

First-time in the shop today for my Lacrosse on a warranty-related issue. In both manual and full-auto climate-control functions (and both in and out of "sync" function for the temperature), the warm/cold-air flow coming out of the left/right vents is not being directed properly at the right temperature, and one must fiddle or experiment with different ****-settings to keep the interior comfortable and the windshield clear. It did not trigger a computer-code, but the Technician agreed there was a problem. They are keeping it overnight, will probably end up having to replace the actuator or regulator (they'll need to get the part), and gave me a free Chevy Malibu loaner to take home.

Sucks to hear your story and issue. I am sure a simple replacement of the parts would resolve the problem.
Old 11-08-18, 02:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

I’m trying to convince a buddy of mine to buy one. He has a 2010 Accord he’s looking to replace and he loves how quiet and soft my car is, but he would never spend that kind of money on a car. I think a Lacrosse would be great for him.
maybe check out a cadenza too... nice car for the money.

I really wish people would clarify to themselves that oil consumption is not a negative for any engine.
i haven't added oil between oil changes to a car for at least a decade.

Consumer Reports like to cause alarm for no reason whatsoever, they are clearly full of it...They are trying to attract attention to themselves.

FYI Johnhav430, your LS430 is in spec if it burns max 1.1qts of oil per 600 miles.
wow really? that's a quart almost every tank of gas!
Old 11-08-18, 03:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I wonder if there is an actuator issue (believe one is called blend)? It's a known issue on GM cars. I know it's no different than the Lexus LS430 door actuator where to avoid the steep dealer price to fix, people DIY. 3 got replaced under our GMPP extended warranty. Good thing they broke while it was still in effect or I'd be DIY and kicking myself...(hole saw to the center stack not good--but you'll never see it lol)

I've mentioned it on the 3rd gen LS forum, the LS430 is superior to a 1998 Maxima, yet, the 1998 Maxima has had none of the items break, if you list out what's common on the 3rd gen LS. Either they got lucky back then or something. Rust? That's another issue, much worse...

Thanks. Actuators and regulators do seem to be a weak spot in a number of cars. I had an early power-window regulator failure in my Outback, and, in another car I owned, the regulator never actually failed, but always sent the right-front (passenger's) window up and down a little slowly....that could (?) have also been a weak electric motor.
Old 11-08-18, 03:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Sucks to hear your story and issue. I am sure a simple replacement of the parts would resolve the problem.
Thanks. Some parts, though, particularly under the dash, are not always that easy to reach.

I was able to keep the windows clear, though, and the cabin temperature comfortable the last few weeks....just had to experiment and play with the rotary-dials/vents a little, and find out what would work in a pinch. I found what was best was just to close off all the right vents, period, and let the relatively normal-functioning left vents (on the drivers' side) do the heating and cooling. The windows would usually stay clear, even without the defrost-vents blowing air on them, if you kept the interior dry by using the A/C compressor and adding heat through the left-vents. It worked, anyway, until the car could be looked at. ...I let it go a couple of weeks to see if the electronics would reboot or reset themselves, and they didn't...they seem to need a new part.
Old 11-08-18, 03:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
maybe check out a cadenza too... nice car for the money
The Cadenza, like your G90, is well-built, and uses impressive materials inside and out (it would definitely be on my shopping list), but its seats, like those on most Kia products, aren't quite as soft, nor the ride quite as cushy, as that of the Lacrosse or Lincoln MKZ.

i haven't added oil between oil changes to a car for at least a decade.
My Verano was fine for the first couple of years, then used about a quart every 1500-2000 miles. That's more than many engines do today, but still within what I would consider reasonable. GM apparently agrees.....from what the service people tell me, they will replace the rings or the engine (within warranty) if it is 1000 miles or less. I've heard horror stories, though, of that 2.4L engine going through quarts at 500-600 miles.....enough angry owners that there is a class-action suit on it.

That's where the long 10/100 drivetrain warranty on your G90 comes in handy.....you're covered for a long time, probbaly longer than you will keep the car, if your ownership history is any guide.

Quick Reply: MM One-Year Ownership Review