Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mother survives car crash that killed husband, 4 daughters

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-18, 04:13 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True.....in general, all else equal, more weight means more impact. As far as 55 goes, unless I just missed it in the article, we don't know what the posted limits is on that stretch of road.
I used 55mph as a baseline example. It was probably less if this was on Route 1.
Old 07-09-18, 04:31 PM
Corey140
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was a broadside/t-bone hit, not a head on. He crossed the median and the Sienna plowed into the passenger door and they both drove off the road together.

A head on may have killed everyone in both vehicles.

Either way, if the young ladies were wearing their seat belts, they would have most likely survived this crash. The mom is in fair condition now with surgery schedule for her shoulder.

No different than my friend from HS who was ejected and killed because he did not have his seat belt on when the car crashed and the 2 others walked away from the scene.
Old 07-09-18, 05:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Corey140
It was a broadside/t-bone hit, not a head on. He crossed the median and the Sienna plowed into the passenger door and they both drove off the road together.

A head on may have killed everyone in both vehicles.
Interesting to see what would have happened in a Volvo or Mercedes product large enough to hold that family, since both brands have a reputation for safety that is probably the standard of the auto industry. Of course, one should be belted in no matter what vehicle they are in.

Either way, if the young ladies were wearing their seat belts, they would have most likely survived this crash.
Maybe, maybe not. I agree they would have had a better chance.

The mom is in fair condition now with surgery schedule for her shoulder.
Great.....glad to hear it. I've been praying for her.

No different than my friend from HS who was ejected and killed because he did not have his seat belt on when the car crashed and the 2 others walked away from the scene.
At one time, many people refused to wear belts because they thought that it was actually safer to be tossed out of a vehicle than to be crumpled up in it.
Old 07-09-18, 07:15 PM
Corey140
Intermediate

Interesting to see what would have happened in a Volvo or Mercedes product large enough to hold that family, since both brands have a reputation for safety that is probably the standard of the auto industry.
Audi Q7, Mercedes M and Lexus RX 350 have no driver death's for certain model years.

I would be interesting to see a MB R Class in this type of accident.

Last edited by Corey140; 07-09-18 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-09-18, 08:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Audi Q7, Mercedes M and Lexus RX 350 have no driver death's.
source for this?
Old 07-09-18, 09:03 PM
Corey140
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
source for this?
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskto...nomic-recovery

The 11 models with zero driver deaths include the Audi A6 Quattro, Audi Q7 Quattro, rear-wheel drive BMW 535i, BMW 535xi xDrive, Jeep Cherokee 4x4, Lexus CT 200h, front-wheel Lexus RX 350, front-wheel drive Mazda CX-9, Mercedes-Benz M-Class 4Matic, Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed 4x4, and front-wheel Volkswagen Tiguan.
ETA: I realized, I forgot to add the years covered when I was typing to mmarshal.

Last edited by Corey140; 07-09-18 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-10-18, 05:16 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i passed this story around at work to be used for safety minutes during meetings
Old 07-10-18, 09:50 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Interesting to see what would have happened in a Volvo or Mercedes product large enough to hold that family, since both brands have a reputation for safety that is probably the standard of the auto industry. Of course, one should be belted in no matter what vehicle they are in.
Audi Q7, Mercedes M and Lexus RX 350 have no driver death's for certain model years.
While it is nice to know that the Audi Q7, Mercedes M and Lexus RX 350 have no "driver deaths per million registered vehicle years,
for 2014 and equivalent earlier models, model years 2012-15", we cannot compare these vehicles to this incident involving a late-1990s Sienna and a much-heavier Ford F-250 heavy-duty pickup truck.

This Sienna incident involved passenger deaths that are not accounted for in this "no driver deaths" list.

This Sienna incident involved passenger deaths that were likely caused by unrestrained passengers (not restrained by seatbelts and not restrained by airbags).

The SUVs in the list are much newer, so likely are structurally stronger and likely include many more airbags (including side-impact and full-length curtain airbags) that the late-1990s Sienna did not have.

Last edited by Sulu; 07-10-18 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-10-18, 09:53 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Such a sad situation.....

Having modern cars definitely helps.

I would much rather take my chances in new Sclass or other mid to full sized luxury car.
Another area where RWD chassis is superior in terms of engineering to withstand impact.

I’m looking to get rid of our 2017 Legacy asap for something more substantial, RWD based, and superior engineering.
New X5 is high on the list.
Where did you see this, that a RWD chassis has better impact engineering? What about a FWD-based AWD chassis?
Old 07-10-18, 10:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
While it is nice to know that the Audi Q7, Mercedes M and Lexus RX 350 have no "driver deaths per million registered vehicle years,
for 2014 and equivalent earlier models, model years 2012-15", we cannot compare these vehicles to this incident involving a late-1990s Sienna and a much-heavier Ford F-250 heavy-duty pickup truck.

This Sienna incident involved passenger deaths that are not accounted for in this "no driver deaths" list.

This Sienna incident involved passenger deaths that were likely caused by unrestrained passengers (not restrained by seatbelts and not restrained by airbags).

The SUVs in the list are much newer, so likely are structurally stronger and likely include many more airbags (including side-impact and full-length curtain airbags) that the late-1990s Sienna did not have.
great post. it was also apparently an f350 too.
Old 07-10-18, 11:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Not really. They cut the roof to get them but most of the van is fine.
following up on this, like you said, the truck apparently ended up sideways to the minivan which t-boned the truck, so all the force of hitting the truck went to the front of the minivan. belts or not, amazing anyone survived. mother probably did because she was asleep and thus relaxed.

track clearly hit directly in the passenger side

Old 07-10-18, 11:39 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the truck is a higher vehicle too and the minivan is lower, which explains the type of damage and why the truck occupants werent seriously hurt
Old 07-10-18, 12:51 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Where did you see this, that a RWD chassis has better impact engineering? What about a FWD-based AWD chassis?
Engine mounted X-axis vs. Y-axisl? After trying so many vehicles I settled on Mercedes ML SUV. GLE was too big for my need. Wonder how many air bags that Sienna has.
Old 07-10-18, 01:48 PM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

In addition to modern cars with safety advancements, I'm also more concerned about the metal/steel being newer vs a 20 year old metal.

The cabin of Sienna seems to have held up well. It seems the driver side (dad's side) took the brunt of the impact of the crash
I'm just thinking out loud that this MAY have also helped the mother's survival, in addition to all the other possible factors during the moment of impact.

This is such a heart breaking story.
Old 07-10-18, 11:22 PM
Corey140
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Htony
Engine mounted X-axis vs. Y-axisl? After trying so many vehicles I settled on Mercedes ML SUV. GLE was too big for my need. Wonder how many air bags that Sienna has.
I thought, the GLE was just the rebadged ML?

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
following up on this, like you said, the truck apparently ended up sideways to the minivan which t-boned the truck, so all the force of hitting the truck went to the front of the minivan. belts or not, amazing anyone survived. mother probably did because she was asleep and thus relaxed.

track clearly hit directly in the passenger side
Yeah and with all the weight discussion about the F350, the F350 probably rode on top/side angle of the Sienna for a bit as well after impact.

Quick Reply: Mother survives car crash that killed husband, 4 daughters