Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What separates high-end economy cars, like the Mazda6, from entry-level luxury cars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-18, 06:22 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
the 320i to me is a big middle finger to people. The engine is a de-tuned 328i motor with 180hp (from 240hp). BMW gets no flak. If Lexus offered the IS with 180hp, the interwebs would burn.
do yourself a favor, don't read any driving reviews or vehicle comparisons involving the IS200t
Old 06-30-18, 06:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
I'm curious - with luxury features being more common on higher trim models of economy cars now. What's the main reason for people to still want to buy an entry-level luxury car?
Usually, with the more-panache nameplate, you get a better warranty and a better level of customer service (though not always). Buick is one of the exceptions. It is upmarket, but not considered a full-luxury brand, yet offers excellent customer service and a full-luxury 6/70 and 4/50 warranty....same as Cadillac, Lincoln, Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti. Conversely even entry-level Korean-badged vehicles offer the superb 10/100 and 5/60 warranty that outdoes even some luxury makes.
Old 06-30-18, 06:27 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually - not exactly true. While the BMW is more expensive in general, the 330i in the 50K range does offer real leather and real aluminum/wood trim. A 330i with executive tier, driving assist package, Heated wheel, Harmon K sound system, active blind spot, active cruise control, real leather and real wood comes out to: $52.8K.

The BMW interior build quality is good as well. Materials feel good and everything inside feels premium.

I have no comment on the turbo because I never driven the 330i hard.
According to Mr Burns sig, he is in Canuckistan, so pricing should be based on bmw.ca, not bmw.com
www.bmw.ca/myconfig/a1u9q6a8
Old 07-01-18, 11:21 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
do yourself a favor, don't read any driving reviews or vehicle comparisons involving the IS200t
I don't really care what the reviewers have to say, nor the unfavorable comparison results. I am around them or drive them consistently, and by no means a perfect car, you could spend your money on a lot worse. The amount of standard or available content for the price is very good.
Old 07-01-18, 11:33 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The new Mazda 6 is quite a car, especially the Signature version. Real wood, real leather, decent power, decent interior room, and loaded with tech goodies. Or, for the same price, I could get a Mercedes CLA250 with no rear seat room and a ride like a go Kart, or a BMW 320 which is totally stripped down, or the base A4 with the derated engine and FWD. If I were shopping in this price range, it would be the Mazda for me.

The badges might impress some of my neighbors, but I still have to drive the car.
Old 07-01-18, 11:49 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
The new Mazda 6 is quite a car, especially the Signature version. Real wood, real leather, decent power, decent interior room, and loaded with tech goodies. Or, for the same price, I could get a Mercedes CLA250 with no rear seat room and a ride like a go Kart, or a BMW 320 which is totally stripped down, or the base A4 with the derated engine and FWD. If I were shopping in this price range, it would be the Mazda for me.

The badges might impress some of my neighbors, but I still have to drive the car.
Plus, the Mazda 6 is a great looking sedan.
Old 07-01-18, 02:25 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I think the new Audi interiors are much nicer. The reviews tend to agree with this as the BMW interiors are pretty stale at this point.
The non-M 3 series lost the handling magic of prior gens. Here is hoping the new one gets a serious upgrade.
Our BMWs are from the E-series with MT. No way with AT on a car like this.
Old 07-02-18, 05:16 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Be funny to ask Dave Ramsey this question (I'm not a fan).
Old 07-02-18, 05:29 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Our BMWs are from the E-series with MT. No way with AT on a car like this.
The Es are a great car. Believe it or not, I found the IS350 F Sport to be closer to the E90 than the F30 335 in terms of handling.
Old 07-02-18, 07:20 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 153 Posts

I drove a few 2017/18 ES350 and wasn't impressed with quality and thought to myself why would anyone get this car over an Avalon and save $7k?

I have a rental 2018 Avalon in my possession for 2 weeks right now, while it's not a bad car at all, the new Avalon felt like an Uber or a Nissan Altima.
It's good enough to pass as a "decent" car, and I would LOVE to be picked up in it when I dial for Uber. But a Luxury car, it is not.

Now, I know why people buy ES350.

The option list is VERY similar.. the Avalon might even be better, but it feels like Avalon tried to check the boxes only. The ES350 felt like the engineers checked each options box, and then took an extra hour to design "it" better.
In comparison, they probably took 2 hours "extra" on the LS.

For example, infotainment button placement, easy of use, **** quality, stalk quality, door handle quality, wiper placement etc... the details that we don't really focus/care-too-much about..
Driving wise: steering wheel touch/feel, suspension, road noise, progressive suspension feedback, etc..
A Camaro MIGHT have same cornering ability as a M3 on the track, but on the streets Camaro felt WAY too harsh. (I actually had to drop the air pressure to 28 PSI on my rental because the ride was way too hard)
(PERHAPS) The Camaro engineer made sure the car looked good on paper/track. M3 engineers made sure the first 20% of suspension travel was usable in the streets.

As someone mentioned, the gap is definitely closing.. HID/LED headlight and NAV were 2 things that really set regular vs Luxury, but now, Corolla has it.
Old 07-02-18, 09:10 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun

For the same price, the Mazda 6 Signature is definitely a better buy than a say a CLA250 or BMW 320i of the same price. But I'm more alluding and curious about - the Mazda 6 signature (or any higher-trim economy car, like: Camry XSE/XLE, Accord Touring and etc...) compared to say a Mercedes Benz C300 or A4 loaded.

IE: The new VW Jetta (loaded)'s feature is almost similar to the that of the A4 loaded. The new Jetta even has pano-roof and wireless charging while the A4 doesn't. With the A4 pushing close to 50K, what's stopping someone from buying the Jetta (especially since it now has its own version of the Virtual Cockpit.)

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
I drove a few 2017/18 ES350 and wasn't impressed with quality and thought to myself why would anyone get this car over an Avalon and save $7k?

I have a rental 2018 Avalon in my possession for 2 weeks right now, while it's not a bad car at all, the new Avalon felt like an Uber or a Nissan Altima.
It's good enough to pass as a "decent" car, and I would LOVE to be picked up in it when I dial for Uber. But a Luxury car, it is not.

Now, I know why people buy ES350.

The option list is VERY similar.. the Avalon might even be better, but it feels like Avalon tried to check the boxes only. The ES350 felt like the engineers checked each options box, and then took an extra hour to design "it" better.
In comparison, they probably took 2 hours "extra" on the LS.

For example, infotainment button placement, easy of use, **** quality, stalk quality, door handle quality, wiper placement etc... the details that we don't really focus/care-too-much about..
Driving wise: steering wheel touch/feel, suspension, road noise, progressive suspension feedback, etc..
A Camaro MIGHT have same cornering ability as a M3 on the track, but on the streets Camaro felt WAY too harsh. (I actually had to drop the air pressure to 28 PSI on my rental because the ride was way too hard)
(PERHAPS) The Camaro engineer made sure the car looked good on paper/track. M3 engineers made sure the first 20% of suspension travel was usable in the streets.

As someone mentioned, the gap is definitely closing.. HID/LED headlight and NAV were 2 things that really set regular vs Luxury, but now, Corolla has it.
Your last point is so true. Back in the 2000s, HID headlights + Navi were the biggest things that set luxury cars from economy cars. Then when LED lights became a thing - luxury cars barely had it exclusively for a long time. LED lights trickled down fast.

There isn't much exclusive equipment that separates luxury and higher-trim economy cars now in today's market.
Old 07-02-18, 09:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

To me a luxury car has never been about features and equipment, its about build quality, refinement and smooth, quiet operation.
Old 07-02-18, 09:35 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
To me a luxury car has never been about features and equipment, its about build quality, refinement and smooth, quiet operation.
Agreed with this point too. A luxury car definitely has better build quality, materials, refinement, and etc...

This is what separates the Lexus LS/S-Class/7-Series from the Genesis G90. And the Genesis G90 is an amazing car - it has stacked with some feature even the S-Class don't have.
Old 07-02-18, 09:39 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

For the same price, the Mazda 6 Signature is definitely a better buy than a say a CLA250 or BMW 320i of the same price. But I'm more alluding and curious about - the Mazda 6 signature (or any higher-trim economy car, like: Camry XSE/XLE, Accord Touring and etc...) compared to say a Mercedes Benz C300 or A4 loaded.

IE: The new VW Jetta (loaded)'s feature is almost similar to the that of the A4 loaded. The new Jetta even has pano-roof and wireless charging while the A4 doesn't. With the A4 pushing close to 50K, what's stopping someone from buying the Jetta (especially since it now has its own version of the Virtual Cockpit.)

Your last point is so true. Back in the 2000s, HID headlights + Navi were the biggest things that set luxury cars from economy cars. Then when LED lights became a thing - luxury cars barely had it exclusively for a long time. LED lights trickled down fast.

There isn't much exclusive equipment that separates luxury and higher-trim economy cars now in today's market.

These "luxury features", such as the HID headlights and GPS navigation system, have come down in price so much that it has become easy (and inexpensive) to put them into mass-market cars such as the Corolla, Civic, Camry, Accord, Altima and Mazda6.

This became evident to me in the early 2000's when the 2nd- and 3rd-generation Toyota Prii came with these "luxury features" to justify the higher price of the hybrid drivetrain. Add in these luxury features and make the Prius seem like a luxury car (on paper) so that buyers would not be scared away by the higher price of a hybrid car.

Yet, because some of these relatively low-cost features are still seen as aspirational -- luxury -- features, they can command a high retail price. This is what makes premium cars such profit makers and why brands such as Mazda and Buick include a number of these features as standard features -- command a high price for a relatively low cost car, and rake in the profits.

That said, the difference between a higher trim level of a mass market car (like the Toyota Camry) and a lower trim level of premium / luxury car (such as the Lexus ES) is the fact that on the mass market car, the automaker is adding features to a basic car, but for the luxury car, the automaker is deleting features from a better-designed, better-built, higher-end car. It is easier to delete little, individual features from a higher-end car -- you still retain the essence of what makes it a better car -- than it is to add little features to a lower-end car; at a certain point, it becomes obvious that an automaker is merely adding lipstick to a pig.
Old 07-02-18, 09:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

This is what separates the Lexus LS/S-Class/7-Series from the Genesis G90.
Eh, the G90 is pretty close in terms of quality, refinement, ride etc.

Quick Reply: What separates high-end economy cars, like the Mazda6, from entry-level luxury cars?