Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What separates high-end economy cars, like the Mazda6, from entry-level luxury cars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-18, 09:59 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default What separates high-end economy cars, like the Mazda6, from entry-level luxury cars?

My friend and I were chatting on the way to work - our usual car pool Friday.

We got into the discussion of how a lot of higher trim models of cars like the: Camry, Accord, Mazda6, Maxima, RAV4, Santa Fe, etc... tend to have a host of entry-level luxury car features. In some cases - even having some unique options that aren't available on entry-luxury model cars. Entry-level luxury cars like: C-Class, 3 Series, IS, Q50, A4, Genesis, and etc... etc...

I'm curious - with luxury features being more common on higher trim models of economy cars now. What's the main reason for people to still want to buy an entry-level luxury car?

Old 06-29-18, 10:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

General build quality, entry level luxury cars tend to be a little bit better built, ride a little better, handle a little better. For cars like the C Class, 3 Series, A4, etc there are a ton of dynamic differences with a RWD platform and more sophisticated suspension setups etc than something like a Mazda 6 or a Camry.

Theres also brand cachet, warranty, dealer service, etc.
Old 06-29-18, 10:14 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Car for car, the differences are shrinking, with the unfortunate change to 4cylinders in entry to mid level luxury cars that difference is even smaller. Luxury cars normally have better sound systems, better warranties, nicer dealerships, nicer leather, more features standard, designs are normally more interesting or eye catching, some more attention to detail. Many luxury cars are rwd and most offer awd where passenger cars are pretty much all fwd but when you are comparing 4cylinders with less then 300hp it does not matter as much as it used to.
Old 06-29-18, 10:17 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

What's the main reason for people to still want to buy an entry-level luxury car?
The power of a badge. BMW 320i is a successful example
Old 06-29-18, 10:27 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Options and brand are really the separation. Sure there are BMW 320s but i can option up to get an M3. I don't care how much you spruce up a Camry, all you get is an ES F-Sport or Avalon. I think the 2nd tier luxury brands all have this issue with options (Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, Caddy) so they are barely better than mainstream.
Old 06-29-18, 10:43 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
General build quality, entry level luxury cars tend to be a little bit better built, ride a little better, handle a little better. For cars like the C Class, 3 Series, A4, etc there are a ton of dynamic differences with a RWD platform and more sophisticated suspension setups etc than something like a Mazda 6 or a Camry.

Theres also brand cachet, warranty, dealer service, etc.
Good point. Entry-level luxury cars, on average, is definitely built better, better quality and definitely drives better.

Originally Posted by UDel
Car for car, the differences are shrinking, with the unfortunate change to 4cylinders in entry to mid level luxury cars that difference is even smaller. Luxury cars normally have better sound systems, better warranties, nicer dealerships, nicer leather, more features standard, designs are normally more interesting or eye catching, some more attention to detail. Many luxury cars are rwd and most offer awd where passenger cars are pretty much all fwd but when you are comparing 4cylinders with less then 300hp it does not matter as much as it used to.
Agreed. Car for car nowadays are shrinking. I remember back in the 2000s - luxury car has much more features that differentiate themselves from their non-luxury cousins. Now I feel like - instead of having "more features" to separate themselves from the non-luxury cars - the entry-level luxury cars just offer "better" options of those features (IE: better sound system) and have a few "exclusive" features.

This is why I was wondering where is the line that separates the high-end trim models of economy cars compared to entry-level luxury.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
That's a good point. BMW 320i are very successful. Their lease deals are pretty good as well.

Originally Posted by EZZ
Options and brand are really the separation. Sure there are BMW 320s but i can option up to get an M3. I don't care how much you spruce up a Camry, all you get is an ES F-Sport or Avalon. I think the 2nd tier luxury brands all have this issue with options (Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, Caddy) so they are barely better than mainstream.
I wouldn't section Lexus as 2nd tier. I would say Lexus vehicles are on-par with MB, BMW, and Audi. Lexus luxury SUVs tend to compete insanely well versus the Germans.
But even so, high-end economy cars seem to be hitting near German ranges as well, in terms of features. It bugs me to no-end that an Audi A4 doesn't have pano roof/wireless charging while a Camry does. I know there are still some differences between high-trim economy cars and luxury cars - I just wish there was more.

Definitely - there are performance upgrades to entry-level luxury cars. That's a given that those models would be a better car. But, I find out now in today's market, a Camry XSE or Mazda Signature, could be so close to a say a BMW 330i in luxury features. Its very interesting to me.
Old 06-29-18, 10:48 AM
ALL4SPL
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The easiest way to tell is to drive them both, when I was searching for my most recent car I drove a LOT of different things. However I will focus on the difference between two 2018 Camry and what I bought a 2017 ES350. The Camry had a rougher ride quality, as well as more interior noise. The Camry almost seems cramped with how much stuff they cram into it. The Camry lacked power, I was only able to test drive a 4cyl as the dealer close by didn't have the v6 models in yet. The 4cyl can't get out of its own way, its very slow. The interior quality seemed ok but just wasn't up to the same standards as what I eventually purchased.

This just echos what others have said, better materials, better build quality, just because you shove 100 tech gadgets into a car doesn't make it a better buy.
Old 06-29-18, 10:50 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

What you have against the 320?
Old 06-29-18, 11:12 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Because the 320i to me is a big middle finger to people. The engine is a de-tuned 328i motor with 180hp (from 240hp). BMW gets no flak. If Lexus offered the IS with 180hp, the interwebs would burn. The 320i is genius, and strokes folks egos because if you want a BMW badge it's easily attainable. The 320i dilutes the brand IMO. But if folks want to buy one, well that's their choice.
Old 06-29-18, 11:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Because the 320i to me is a big middle finger to people. The engine is a de-tuned 328i motor with 180hp (from 240hp). BMW gets no flak. If Lexus offered the IS with 180hp, the interwebs would burn. The 320i is genius, and strokes folks egos because if you want a BMW badge it's easily attainable. The 320i dilutes the brand IMO. But if folks want to buy one, well that's their choice.
Interesting. My sister has a 3 series, not sure the number but at the low end. We were out in it in April, it’s not the greatest car. Definitely the badge is what sells it. Could not believe all the road noise and the very noisy air conditioning fan.
Old 06-29-18, 11:35 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Our uncle in Ajax had a 320i. What I do find interesting, is that it uses a different motor oil than the (then, the numbers are always going up and becoming more impressive) 328 and 335, which is the typical LL-01 (amazing that 01 stands for 2001). By the time I finish typing the current badges might be 334 and 346.
Old 06-29-18, 11:40 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I don't follow it that closely, but didn't Infiniti do a 4 cyl version of the G37, long before it became cool and fashionable to drive a 4 cyl.?

To support what you say, BMW and MB can sell FWD based vehicles for 50k, and it's ok. BMW stated that when they researched it, very few X1 owners realized their vehicles were RWD based, so it was ok to use FWD in the next gen.
Old 06-29-18, 11:56 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Interior appointments might not be the distinguishing feature it used to be. I sat in a top of the line 2018 Mazda 6, it had a nicer and roomier interior than a BMW 3 series, Infiniti Q50 or any Acura sedan I've sat in.

I'd say its more about the economy cars having FWD while the more expensive cars in general have RWD or AWD and drive a bit nicer.

Also lets not forget the power of the badge. BMW, Benz, Audi, they've all been pushing downmarket with quite some success with their subsidized lease deals.
Old 06-29-18, 12:02 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I don't follow it that closely, but didn't Infiniti do a 4 cyl version of the G37, long before it became cool and fashionable to drive a 4 cyl.?

To support what you say, BMW and MB can sell FWD based vehicles for 50k, and it's ok. BMW stated that when they researched it, very few X1 owners realized their vehicles were RWD based, so it was ok to use FWD in the next gen.
For a short run of two model years a G25 218hp 187lbft with 2.5L V6 was available . Aimed at the IS250, A4, and 328i (3.0L I6). It didn't do well (though Infiniti never does when it comes to sales) and was pulled from market rather quickly.
Old 06-29-18, 12:10 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

For a short run of two model years a G25 218hp 187lbft with 2.5L V6 was available . Aimed at the IS250, A4, and 328i (3.0L I6). It didn't do well (though Infiniti never does when it comes to sales) and was pulled from market rather quickly.
So that was a small V6...interesting. But I think that today, the general car buying public is more receptive to lower models, than they would have been 10-15 years ago. I would agree that with a 320i, you really want a BMW--but then again Europe has had multiple engines within the same series for a long time. I would rather have a older car that is higher end, than a newer car at the lower end, but that's me. I actually believe the sweet spot at BMW occurred around 2007-2010 depending on the model.

I remember cross-shopping the 2007 G35S 6-man sedan. The 328i had much less HP and torque, but ordered as a base car plus sport package, that was a lot of car for around $35k. The problem was the G35S was loaded at $37k. Today people don't seem to sweat a thousand here or 3 thousand there!

Quick Reply: What separates high-end economy cars, like the Mazda6, from entry-level luxury cars?