Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM making big Cadillac SEDAN investment

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-18, 08:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Default GM making big Cadillac SEDAN investment

General Motors (NYSE:GM) said on Monday that it will spend $175 million to retool a Michigan factory to make two upcoming new Cadillac sedans.

Yes, sedans. While rival Ford Motor Company (NYSE:F) plans to replace most of the sedan and hatchback models it sells in the U.S. with SUVs, GM is following a different path -- despite the fact that Cadillac's U.S. sedan sales fell 27% last year.

What's happening: A big investment at GM's newest U.S. factory

The two new Cadillac sedans coming to the Lansing Grand River factory will replace three current Cadillac models: The compact ATS and the midsize CTS, both of which are built at Lansing Grand River now, and the larger XTS, which is built at a GM plant in Ontario. The big Cadillac CT6 sedan is unaffected.

GM is planning to launch seven new Cadillacs, with one coming every six months on average, between now and 2021. A large Cadillac crossover SUV, likely to be called the XT7, will be the next to debut, late this year or early in 2019 -- but the CT5 could be the Cadillac that follows the XT7, sometime next year.

What we know about the new Cadillacs

The upcoming new Cadillac sedans will probably be called the CT4 and CT5, in line with Cadillac's current alphanumeric naming scheme. Spy photos of a disguised vehicle that might be a prototype CT5 suggest that it will share styling themes with the well-received Cadillac Escala show car, which was presented in 2016 as a preview of the brand's future styling direction.

Full article https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/...g-up-on-s.aspx
Old 06-18-18, 09:33 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Too much model overlap and heavily flawed naming. An extremely high chance this will result in more wasted money and more discontinued models.
Terrible track record for the brand in the last twenty years. Very little faith or excitement reading these headlines.
Old 06-18-18, 10:08 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty badass. But I thought it would cost more than 175 million though.
Old 06-18-18, 10:16 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

lexus should take that escala and make it a GS.
Old 06-18-18, 10:43 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Interesting that they think there is a market for 2 more sedans at the sub CT6 price, which is already pretty damn cheap starting at $56,000(before the discounts). Personally I think they need to go the strategy of 2nd gen CTS, make it a bigger car than the competition(C-Class Benz, Audi A4, 3 series BMW, IS Lexus) but sell it for the same price or maybe even less.

The 2nd gen CTS sold well, the ATS and 3rd gen CTS have been absolute sales bombs. Cadillac, you are 2nd rate, you need to give people more car for their money, be it more space, better interior appointments, cheaper price. You focused all your money on handling dynamics(which are excellent btw) and the market just doesn't give a damn about that if the rest of the product isn't that refined and polished.
Old 06-19-18, 04:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
The 2nd gen CTS sold well, the ATS and 3rd gen CTS have been absolute sales bombs.
Correct.

Cadillac, you are 2nd rate, you need to give people more car for their money, be it more space, better interior appointments, cheaper price. You focused all your money on handling dynamics(which are excellent btw) and the market just doesn't give a damn about that if the rest of the product isn't that refined and polished.
I's not so much that Cadillac needs to give more sedan for the money as much as a different type of sedan. Americanized BMWs, no matter how well they handle, just aren't cutting it....the sales figures prove that. It's true that the current-generation Buick Lacrosse sales themselves are not impressive, but I am still strongly of the opinion that a Cadillac version of the Lacrosse is the car that originally should have replaced the DeVille/DTS, not the XTS, which I never thought much of. There I own and drive my own Lacrosse, the more firmly convinced become of it. The Lacrosse clearly drives more like the DTS than any of Cadillac's current sedans, yet still has decent handling and quick steering response for a car of this type...it's not like the Roly-Poly Fleetwoods and Roadmasters of yesterday.

True, the current Lacrosse was not actually ready until the 2017 model year, but a Lacrosse-based Cadillac sedan could at least have followed the XTS. Cadillac's big problem, with its current sedans, is that they are mostly too hard-edged for the traditional Cadillac buyer.....and the company has suffered as a result.

There might have still been a market for the RWD/AWD CT6 above a Lacrosse-based Cadillac, but the 3Gen CTS already had a lot of that potential RWD market covered.....and even a CTS-V version for the (relatively few) power and handling enthusiasts. IMO, the CT6 and CTS non-V models, selling alongside each other in the showrooms, did little for either car, and probably stole sales from each other.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-19-18 at 04:41 AM.
Old 06-19-18, 05:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

All i kmow is that escala concept is drop dead gorgeous.
Old 06-19-18, 02:16 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last ditch effort here. If 5-6 yrs from now this new crop of sedans end up flopping like the latest did then GM may start cutting them out entirely from their Cadillac division.

GM really needs to get back to the drawing board and understand what Cadillac customers want from a luxury sedan. Maybe it's better to embrace your brand identity and give the people the best version of that rather than trying to be something you are not.

You cannot defeat the Germans at their own game. Their branding, loyalty, and ability to play with the numbers on leases is too strong.
Old 06-19-18, 02:20 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
All i kmow is that escala concept is drop dead gorgeous.
It's incredibly impressive both inside and out. The problem is that GM always disappoints with the production version of their concept cars. The bean counters in Warren and Detroit never sweat the details the way the competition does. Saving a few pennies is more important. Short-term thinking has been a GM trademark for generations.
Old 06-19-18, 03:55 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I sure hope they make the Escala. Cadillac concepts are usually stunning and well received. Escala, Ciel, Elmiraj..
Old 06-20-18, 09:47 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

When will they learn?! If they want to succeed, then they should recruit some of the big guns from their European competitors. Do any luxury shoppers actually cross-shop Cadillac and Mercedes? Maybe in the Midwest they do, but beyond that, I'm not so sure. I have some family in Nebraska, and when you achieve the American dream back there, you buy a Cadillac.
Old 06-20-18, 02:46 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Cadillac needs to improve their interiors, get rid of CUE and most of all Lower their prices.
CT6 pricing is outrageous.
Old 06-20-18, 06:29 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish they would start bringing super cruise to more vehicles. That would get me in their showroom.