Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Volvo S60

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-18, 02:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
I've heard the subscription program is having nothing but problems - most of them being insurance related. Growing pains I guess
it'll get worked out.
Old 06-21-18, 02:27 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I'm not sure what sort of dent if any the S60 can manage against the segment leaders, but bring on the comparison tests
With a relatively small dealer network and lower brand awareness I'm sure the S60 and V60 will make small dents vs. the segment leaders, but they'll continue to grow the Volvo brand in the U.S. and make their dealers happy.
Old 06-21-18, 07:39 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
FWD is fine if you do not care about FWD vs RWD, but then, by providing this greater dash-to-axle ratio, Volvo has to waste space behind the front-mounted engine and transmission, in order to provide that extra length. If this Volvo is the length of the Accord, it will not be as space-efficient as the Accord. I would rather have the most cabin space for the footprint of the car than to waste it in the engine compartment.
Not really a waste of space.
It's not too far off. Though the back seat might be a bit cramped.
Volvo actually pushed all 4 wheels further to the corners, and used design tricks to make it look more RWD.
It doesn't have such a huge sheet of metal for the front door.

And judging by wheel size, this may actually be Accord sized.
Longer wheelbase, more stability and comfort on the highway

Here's a side by side

Last edited by pman6; 06-21-18 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-21-18, 09:59 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Now they are just sticking that interior on everything they make? I mean they all look identical. BMW gets so much flack about this, and yet nothing here? lol
Old 06-22-18, 05:32 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Now they are just sticking that interior on everything they make? I mean they all look identical. BMW gets so much flack about this, and yet nothing here? lol
The interior design is 2 years old and is revolutionary compared to the outgoing S60. The BMW 8 series interior (comparable to their last big gt the 6) which everyones been flaming dates back to 2003....15 years ago, and rode on three different platform codes (ie e63 etc) including the recently launched 8.

If Volvo keeps the same thing for about the same period, I`d feel the same way, but this is revolutionary, and as I maintain, Lexus Volvo and MB are leaders in the interior game currently. Everyone else is playing it safe, which is not a bad thing functionally, but for an enthusiast disappointing in a some ways.

So far the S60 hits the right boxes. Considering how poorly the S90 sells on its own without incentives, and then has become a hidden lease gem with huge incentives currently I`d suspect this is going to be something of a classic go to vehicle at its price point. I dont expect the same levels of sales as a ES, but I would say numbers pick up way over the current s60. The safety is a HUGE PRO, the tech is good, but the infotainment hardware needs to be more meaty then whats currently offered (its good but has quirks). Performance powertrain wise would be adequate, nothing polestar levels, but I most buyers in the demo arent really buying the brand for performance.

My other question would be if since this is built stateside, will there be any production outside, making this eligible for the european delivery option which is still really good over other EDPs.
Old 06-22-18, 11:25 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and the subscription plans sound awesome... makes is very simple for people.
Depends on the cost - if the subscription is $900/Mo or something unreasonable you won’t see many takers........

SPORT S60 R-Design Subscription

Care by Volvo is the all-inclusive way to enjoy a new Volvo. There is no negotiation, long-term commitment or compromise. Subscribing to this S60 R-Design will provide you with amenities such as insurance, maintenance, road hazard protection and normal wear-and-tear all rolled into one flat-rate monthly payment. Subscribe to this model and and enjoy a simple ownership experience.
PREMIUM S60 Momentum Subscription

Care by Volvo is the all-inclusive way to enjoy a new Volvo. There is no negotiation, long-term commitment or compromise. Subscribing to this S60 Momentum will provide you with amenities such as insurance, maintenance, road hazard protection and normal wear-and-tear all rolled into one flat-rate monthly payment. Subscribe to this model and and enjoy a simple ownership experience.

Last edited by bagwell; 06-22-18 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-23-18, 10:50 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bagwell

Depends on the cost - if the subscription is $900/Mo or something unreasonable you won’t see many takers........

True, and to be honest I personally dont know of many subscription services that are booming at the current moment. I think the only way to make these things become highly adoptable would be either to lower their price of entry (less likely) or remove leasing as an option (more likely), aka put a positive spin on something essentially that is negative cost wise to the customer and always market it as "Simple, Value inducing, and hassle-free, or Volvo-Plus/Select". Buzzwords galore
Old 06-24-18, 08:16 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
True, and to be honest I personally dont know of many subscription services that are booming at the current moment. I think the only way to make these things become highly adoptable would be either to lower their price of entry (less likely) or remove leasing as an option (more likely), aka put a positive spin on something essentially that is negative cost wise to the customer and always market it as "Simple, Value inducing, and hassle-free, or Volvo-Plus/Select". Buzzwords galore
whole point of automakers doing subscription service is to make them more money. If it does not make them more money, they will not do it.

I dont think many people will get Volvo S60 for $900 subscription, it might work for first few months on the market, certainly wont later on... and they wont be able to drop the price a lot because then they will make less money than with traditional leasing.
Old 06-24-18, 09:41 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
whole point of automakers doing subscription service is to make them more money. If it does not make them more money, they will not do it.

I dont think many people will get Volvo S60 for $900 subscription, it might work for first few months on the market, certainly wont later on... and they wont be able to drop the price a lot because then they will make less money than with traditional leasing.
For sure especially when certain deals on S90 were about $250-350 a month.
Old 06-24-18, 09:44 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

that's like a $500/mo lease if you factor in insurance and other conveniences. no deal
Old 06-25-18, 06:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
For sure especially when certain deals on S90 were about $250-350 a month.
no way their flagship can be leased for $250!
Old 06-25-18, 09:43 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First of all Volvo subscription is not a what you (or at least I) think it is. You can't hot swap the cars, you are still renting ONE car. They just found the fancy word to describe lease + expenses bundle
Old 06-26-18, 09:31 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

no way their flagship can be leased for $250!
Well documented online. Now that were past q1 the deals have dried up. But these did exist
Old 06-27-18, 10:56 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Only 20 of those 2019 Volvo S60 T8 Polestars are coming to America

Volvo said the 2019 Volvo S60 T8 Polestar Engineered was going to be available in "extremely limited quantities," and the company wasn't kidding. It announced that it will only be offering 20 in the United States. That's not even one for every state.

The S60 Polestar Engineered, with its 415 horsepower and 494 pound-feet of torque, also won't be cheap. It will be the most expensive of the S60 models available through the Care by Volvo subscription service. And yes, it will only be available through a subscription. The monthly rate is $1,100 a month, which includes insurance and maintenance. That's $250 more per month than the next most expensive S60 in the program, the S60 T6 AWD R-Design.

If you're still interested in the Polestar Engineered S60, you'd better get your phone fingers ready. It becomes available at 12 p.m. Eastern on June 28 via the Care by Volvo app. With only 20 available, you'll need to be fast.

Source
Old 06-27-18, 12:08 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

I`m sorry unless ive been out of the loop, what does the polestar exactly offer? Gobs of power routed to the front, electric out back or hopefully soo?

Quick Reply: 2019 Volvo S60