Never buy Good Year tires - Page 5 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > Car Chat
Never buy Good Year tires >

Never buy Good Year tires

Notices
Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Never buy Good Year tires

Old 06-20-18, 04:47 PM
  #61  
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic
 
SW17LS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MD
Posts: 24,371
Thanked 479 Times in 401 Posts
Default

The Goodyear ComforTred would be a better comparison.
SW17LS is offline  
Old 06-20-18, 07:41 PM
  #62  
Lexus2000
Lexus Champion
 
Lexus2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Alberta
Posts: 4,495
Thanked 136 Times in 134 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SW17LS View Post
I wouldn't, at all. The MXV4s are much smoother and quieter than the TripleTred which is a pretty hard and loud tire.
I posted the wrong tire sorry about that, I have the ComforTred NOT the TripleTred I like them, good tires. They are pretty worn (came with a car I bought) but they still ride nice and handle fine. Also the Goodyear's are pretty old but no dry rot unlike my Michelin's.
Lexus2000 is offline  
Old 06-21-18, 03:02 PM
  #63  
Aron9000
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: TN
Posts: 4,471
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Goodyear is a horrible corporation. Read about their RV tires, lots of blowouts, crashes, 90+ people killed. The tires they were supplying to RV makers were originally designed for school buses and medium duty delivery trucks and had a max speed rating of 60 or 65mph. RV's travel faster than that for prolonged periods of time. This has been going on for decades, there is A TON of lawsuits filed against the company.

https://jalopnik.com/goodyear-knew-o...-20-1824997252
Aron9000 is offline  
Old 06-24-18, 04:06 PM
  #64  
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (1)
 
Byprodrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 1,624
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RXSF View Post
Oh yeah I can totally see your point and agree its one of those situations when you just wish you had a spare. This is my first car with run flats, but I wonder if you can really get a blowout anymore with them. How likely is the tire going to rip apart? Im not being facetious here, its a legitimate question

Good thing I never go rural... lol
Happened to me in a new RollsRoyce. I sometimes work as a chauffeur for a family that has 5 new cars, often when I arrive I can see that the car they want to take has a tire that's low on air. Once I told the wife that the RollsRoyce she wanted to take her friends in needed to have air added to a tire. She said "Oh the light has been on all week," it's fine & we are late. So off we went, Once I got on the highway I kept my speed at 65 MPH drove about 5 miles & the tire blewout . Luckily the Rolls dealer was about 5 miles from there because there was no spare tire. She called ahead to the dealer and demanded they have a loaner Phantom waiting for her use when we arrived. They did & away we went.
Byprodrive is offline  
Old 06-24-18, 04:24 PM
  #65  
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (1)
 
Byprodrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 1,624
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by riredale View Post
Saw the back-and-forth regarding tire patching and re-balancing, so I took the initiative and called my local Les Schwab tire center here in Lake Oswego. Great guys, free flat repairs, they really hustle (I suspect they get a piece of the gross sales).

Anyway, the fellow who answered the phone (Darren) said that they never patch from the outside because the result is not as foolproof as taking the tire off the wheel and working from the inside. It also gives them a chance to inspect the inside surface all around. BUT he additionally said there is no need to re-balance for a 1/4 oz patch. Instead, they mark the location of the valve stem before dismounting, then re-mount for the same position.
This is generally correct, however I ask my tire store to check the balance while the wheel tire assembly is right there by the balancer to verify it is still in balance. As a tire wears the imbalance can change.
Byprodrive is offline  
Old 06-24-18, 04:32 PM
  #66  
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (1)
 
Byprodrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 1,624
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
True, but one generally has to do some hunting to find sub-standard Michelins or Continentals. Most of what they make is quite good....among the best.
I agree with this & I have to have a really good reason to buy anything other than Michelins due to my experience working at 4 different tire stores. None of those stores were Goodyear but keep in mind the only American owned tire manufacturers are Goodyear & Cooper.
Byprodrive is offline  
Old 06-24-18, 04:40 PM
  #67  
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON
Posts: 9,275
Thanked 32 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Byprodrive View Post
I agree with this & I have to have a really good reason to buy anything other than Michelins due to my experience working at 4 different tire stores. None of those stores were Goodyear but keep in mind the only American owned tire manufacturers are Goodyear & Cooper.
Fair point. I had no issues with the ride and comfort of the Good Years I had, I really did like them. But for three times I had a flat within four years, I was not gonna go with the same brand again. I had to buy a new tire on one of the flats. So be it.
LexsCTJill is online now  
Old 06-25-18, 05:37 AM
  #68  
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic
 
mmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Virginia/D.C. suburbs
Posts: 70,747
Thanked 65 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill View Post

Fair point. I had no issues with the ride and comfort of the Good Years I had, I really did like them. But for three times I had a flat within four years, I was not gonna go with the same brand again. I had to buy a new tire on one of the flats. So be it.
So did I, with one of the Continental Contipro Contacts on my Verano....my Lacrosse came with the same tires (Buick must have a contract with Continental, though some of its vehicles also come with Michelins and other brands). But the fact that a tire has to be replaced from a bad puncture does not mean it is a sub-standard tire to start with.....that can, and does, also happen with Michelins. Self-sealing tires used to prevent small punctures....but I have already described why you generally don't see them in production any more.
mmarshall is offline  


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Never buy Good Year tires


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: