Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future of the Lexus GS around the world

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-18, 12:38 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Could just mean the 4GS soldiers on.

But being an optimist..

So there's still hope for a 5GS that looks like a mini 5LS with a 400hp TTV6?!

I think if the 4GS was just soldiering on and there is no replacement after, they wouldn't have said anything. It wouldn't make sense to say all of this and then axe the 4GS anyways.
Old 06-13-18, 12:49 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
I think if the 4GS was just soldiering on and there is no replacement after, they wouldn't have said anything. It wouldn't make sense to say all of this and then axe the 4GS anyways.
They did say something. They will continue sales in the U.S. and are evaluating it for the future. And for them to still evaluate it this late into the product cycle really means there will not be another generation.
Old 06-13-18, 02:49 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Seems like marketing/PR writeup. We continue to stay invested in the lineup as we have the plant producing these this very second. However we wont deny or confirm anything since its our business not yours and to claim an early L on the GS lineup we shall save face. In addition, I think the same words were uttered in a different context by a Regional lexus rep a couple of months ago, but then the GS still got axed.

Originally Posted by Drive
"The Lexus GS has been an important part of the Lexus line-up since 1993 and we value its role as a sports sedan," said a Lexus representative in an email to The Drive. "We will continue to offer the GS in the United States and will evaluate how best to meet our customers’ needs going forward."

With cost cutting, achieving lean and mean margins with the whole Global One platform and seeing the low margins with an aging product in a class even the stalwarts seem are having difficulties with the SUV market, it seems like the ideal time to say goodbye.
Old 06-13-18, 04:51 PM
Lenscap2
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted on this the other day in the GS forum. I was at the Lexus Driving Tour last weekend and talked with a guy from Lexus corporate who recently made the move from California to the Dallas area when Toyota moved their headquarters. He was not one of the guys from the marketing firm that held the event. My family has purchased new all four generations of GS, so I asked him what was happening to it. He said it was being discontinued, although the GS-F would live on for a few more years (note the article only says the GS will continue, it does not specifically say GS 350, so it matches what this guy said). Further, he said the new ES, especially the F Sport, is meant to take the GS' place. I mentioned maybe for some folks, but not for me, and said I would not buy a FWD car. He replied how much the new ES looks like the LS, and I said the ES proportions are all wrong and that it doesn't have that RWD stance. Take his comments however you like. I should add he said the LF-1 will be going into production in two years.
Old 06-13-18, 05:26 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

This doesn't say anything we didn't already know.

Nobody was worried about whether the current GS will live on another couple years, we are worried if there will be a redesign.

So far no news or spy shots suggesting a new car is under development...
Old 06-13-18, 05:28 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lenscap2
I posted on this the other day in the GS forum. I was at the Lexus Driving Tour last weekend and talked with a guy from Lexus corporate who recently made the move from California to the Dallas area when Toyota moved their headquarters. He was not one of the guys from the marketing firm that held the event. My family has purchased new all four generations of GS, so I asked him what was happening to it. He said it was being discontinued, although the GS-F would live on for a few more years (note the article only says the GS will continue, it does not specifically say GS 350, so it matches what this guy said). Further, he said the new ES, especially the F Sport, is meant to take the GS' place. I mentioned maybe for some folks, but not for me, and said I would not buy a FWD car. He replied how much the new ES looks like the LS, and I said the ES proportions are all wrong and that it doesn't have that RWD stance. Take his comments however you like. I should add he said the LF-1 will be going into production in two years.
This is probably what will end up happening. The GS has historically been a better car than the ES, with superior styling (notably the proportions), interior fittings, and driving dynamics. Unfortunately, the ES offers similar interior space for much cheaper and essentially cannibalizes GS sales.

The new ES will never be able to replace the GS because at the end of the day, it's still a FWD-based sedan with awkward proportions, FWD driving characteristics, and a plasticky interior.
Old 06-13-18, 06:17 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
This doesn't say anything we didn't already know.

Nobody was worried about whether the current GS will live on another couple years, we are worried if there will be a redesign.

So far no news or spy shots suggesting a new car is under development...
Since Toyota has a history of publicly testing new models late in their development cycles, the lack of spy shots of what would appear to be a new, 5Gen GS may only mean that a new GS is not coming in the near -- 1 year -- future. If a new 5Gen GS is in the works for introduction 2 or more years from now, we would not expect to see spy shots of a camouflaged new model for 1 or more years yet.
Old 06-13-18, 06:37 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Since Toyota has a history of publicly testing new models late in their development cycles, the lack of spy shots of what would appear to be a new, 5Gen GS may only mean that a new GS is not coming in the near -- 1 year -- future. If a new 5Gen GS is in the works for introduction 2 or more years from now, we would not expect to see spy shots of a camouflaged new model for 1 or more years yet.
This is on point.
Old 06-13-18, 07:47 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

lol all the doomsday predictions for the GS, fell flat. Who knew.
Old 06-13-18, 08:14 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lenscap2
I couldn't help but laugh when I read the bold part of the quote. ES F-Sport will never replace the GS. It will never replace it even if the ES gets AWD.

Originally Posted by Sulu
This is very true. Toyota does have a history of publicly testing new models very late. Toyota is also very stealthy about their development of new cars too. Its not like the Germans, where information is released insanely quickly.

So it is possible - the new GS might still be alive.
Old 06-13-18, 09:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

quite confusing indeed. if it's a redesign, it's great but surprising. if it's the same car, i can't imagine about the sales figures
Old 06-14-18, 02:38 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
What? What do you mean barely mean on the bone? It clearly states Lexus of USA and Canada admits the GS will stay in NA and also admitted the importance of a Sports Sedan. If the Lexus GS was gonna get axed, what's the point of Lexus saying all this stuff? I think this is good confirmation.

The Lexus USA and Canada spokesperson both confirmed the same thing. So its clear that they have better credentials and information than say a dealer.
Lexus Japan calls the shots. So far we have not heard anything from them.
Old 06-14-18, 02:51 AM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Told yall the 3gs is goat.
Old 06-14-18, 04:31 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

There are no plans for 5GS.
Next gen IS will grown in size and be a tweener car to serve both the compact and midsize sedan segments.

Next F car will be LC F with TT V8.
Old 06-14-18, 07:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

An lc f would basically be a reliable aston martin

Quick Reply: Future of the Lexus GS around the world