Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Geico Auto Repair Xpress or Lexus Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-18, 03:16 PM
crossoever
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Geico Auto Repair Xpress or Lexus Dealership

Hi Guys,

I have a Lexus NX200T. I was involved in a car accident recently, the other driver hit me on the driver side. My driver side door and mirror are damaged.

His insurance is Geico and Geico accept full responsibility for the accident. Geico offers me the choice of using their Auto Repair Xpress program where one of their repair shops will fix the vehicle for me and Geico will warranty the repair for as long as I own the vehicle.

Have you guys had any experience with repairing your Lexus through Geico's Auto Repair Xpress program?

How was the Auto Repair Xpress experience?

Did they use original parts from Lexus (Japan) or substitute parts from other companies?

Do you guys know if having Geico Auto Repair Xpress do the repair would void my warranty?

Thank you very much for your help in advance!
Old 06-11-18, 03:30 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

I would research each particular repair facility, as they are all different. Even Lexus's own needs to be researched. Maybe head down to the shop and look at some of the work they've done. They should have some cars waiting to be picked up by customers. Also check the BBB and yelp/google for reviews.
Old 06-12-18, 12:54 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This isn't a binary choice. You say "or the dealer"--but does the dealer have an in-house body shop? If they do, I'd be surprised if they were Lexus only; making it like any other body shop--it may be good, it may be so-so. Personally, I'd want to do my homework on a dealership branded body shop--people tend to go there just because of the dealership name attached, and not because of their actual reputation. Some people think they "have to" go to the dealer.

It's all about reputation. I have USAA, and they have an "approved list" of local body shops. Geico probably has the same thing--if so, get their list, and look up shops close to you and see if there are on line reviews. And ask friends and neighbors for trusted recommendations.

Good luck.
Old 06-12-18, 01:10 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 399 Likes on 271 Posts

Up to you - you should have the choice of where you get your car repaired, so do your homework. I was involved in a rear-end accident last year (not my fault) and I was "directed" to a certain body shop by the insurance company of the guy who hit me. I politely declined, told them where I would be taking the car and they didn't push back at all. I chose to take my car to a place that I know has the best reputation in my area - they do tons of exotic cars, are the only Tesla-certified facility in a 3 state radius, etc. The bill was substantial, and I have to assume it was more expensive there than where they would've directed me to go, I had a rental car for 65 days, etc. But I had the choice and exercised it because this was a big job and I needed the right shop.

Make no mistake... the insurance companies have certain body shops they recommend because the shops offer low prices (potentially meaning lower quality repair) to the insurance co, may not use OEM parts all the time, and have proven to be efficient in turn-around time which minimizes the # of days you'd need a rental car (if that's covered as part of your policy).

I agree with above poster- the dealer likely doesn't have their own shop. They just offer a convenient place for your car to be dropped off & returned before & after being at the body shop. My local dealer had 3 shops that they outsourced to. Make sure if any electronics were damaged or part of the repairs (mirror motors, mirror heating, door locks, etc) that the shop you select takes your car to Lexus for final inspection before it is released to you. This is not for Lexus to check the cosmetic work - it's for them to make sure everything works as designed and in spec.
Old 06-12-18, 01:54 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

If they will warranty the work for as long as you own the car that eliminates much of the risk but the anxiety will remain. As others have stated, do more homework on the repair shop. If paint is required ask the shop about its paint process. Don’t quote me on this but I believe some Lexus vehicles may require a 3 step process when applying fresh coats. Some shops cut corners for profit.
Old 06-12-18, 07:16 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Not sure if it really matters...maybe talk to the proprietor? I unfortunately had one accident in my career, but maybe fortunately it was with a BMW loaner. The vehicle went to their shop and I had to pay the deductible, it was horrible. My insurance was the lizard co. and the estimate spec'd used and aftermarket parts, on a vehicle that had 3k miles. I was surprised the dealership didn't sue me for OE parts. I never saw the finished product but assumed it was lousy....see so many new(er) cars on sunny days and the texture of the body is not like a mirror, it's all rough. If it were me I'd ask the body shop how we can avoid that (my uncle said anything is possible but it's not cost-effective and they're not doing classic car restoration). Even so, I would ask, straight goods. I see so many new cars with different textures revealing the body work, how can I avoid on mine...good luck.
Old 06-15-18, 02:09 PM
rmason
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Most Lexus dealers in my area do not perform their own in-house body work, they are outsourced to their affiliate body-shops. I think this is true for most franchised dealers.
I recently had a vandalism claim processed through geico and while the "life-time warranty" sounds attractive and seems to be what every other body shops are offering, I have elected to have it repaired through the dealership affiliated shop as extra insurance with the same "life time warranty" for as long as you own the vehicle.
Old 06-15-18, 09:12 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

we have a factory certified lexus collision center at Longo Lexus, and that's where I went when another geico dude scraped my bumper years ago.
Old 06-17-18, 07:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I would not use Geico's shop, and I would not automatically use a shop associated with a Lexus dealer. A lot of times dealer shops are just repair factories, they have a steady stream of business that comes from the dealers and they don't have to depend on their own work and reputation to stay in business. You want to find the best shop period, if that shop happens to be affiliated with Geico or Lexus then super, if not then fine.

Get independent referrals, check out the shops, look at their work, and choose a shop. Just so happens my shop I use is Lexus of Rockville's preferred shop, and they actually have an estimator there at the dealer and they can handle everything through the dealer with loaners, etc. Thats not why I use them though, its just an added perk. I use them because they do great work. In fact, the times I have used them I don't put it through the dealer because I'm sure they have to pay the dealer some of the cost if I do that, I just run it straight through them.
Old 06-18-18, 07:00 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by crossoever
Hi Guys,

I have a Lexus NX200T. I was involved in a car accident recently, the other driver hit me on the driver side. My driver side door and mirror are damaged.

His insurance is Geico and Geico accept full responsibility for the accident. Geico offers me the choice of using their Auto Repair Xpress program where one of their repair shops will fix the vehicle for me and Geico will warranty the repair for as long as I own the vehicle.

Have you guys had any experience with repairing your Lexus through Geico's Auto Repair Xpress program?

How was the Auto Repair Xpress experience?

Did they use original parts from Lexus (Japan) or substitute parts from other companies?

Do you guys know if having Geico Auto Repair Xpress do the repair would void my warranty?

Thank you very much for your help in advance!
After being in an accident myself in a Lexus a few years back, I would have definitely brought it to Lexus to do the work especially since you are not at fault and fully covered by the other insurance. It is much easier to go after Lexus to perform additional repairs than to track down those indie shops. If the accident is bad enough, perhaps you know a mechanic that can help you junk the thing.
Old 06-18-18, 06:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
After being in an accident myself in a Lexus a few years back, I would have definitely brought it to Lexus to do the work especially since you are not at fault and fully covered by the other insurance. It is much easier to go after Lexus to perform additional repairs than to track down those indie shops. If the accident is bad enough, perhaps you know a mechanic that can help you junk the thing.
Except that the Lexus dealer may not do nearly as good a job as an independent place, assuming you care more about a quality repair vs the easiest route.